Maestronet Forums

NAMM and Maestronetters

l33tplaya

post-71033-0-52300300-1453372089_thumb.jpgNew details on Yamaha's violin: it's all wood, teardrop shaped - outline only, single pickup.  Retails under $1000. US.  Model is  YEV.  Their website isn't working with advanced press releases and hi res pictures.  I'll post mine later.

I also have some good video of Caroline Campbell playing it, but it's too high res to easily post on vimeo, so I'll have to wait to downconvert it.

post-71033-0-12871600-1453371286_thumb.jpg

An amazing midi instrument from Tribal Tools: the Kadabra.  It has 3 finishes; retail will be from $1800. and change to $2200.  It has some pressure sensitive buttons behind the grip of the upper arm, some sort of accelerometer so it is sensitive to movement, "keys" on the bottom, and an octave switch (those LED buttons) on top.  The buttons are color coded to match function modification. (ie, octave range and the keys being pressed). 

Looks very much like a Klingon Bat'leth. 

Fully wireless, long range, but it does need a laptop to work (for the wireless and midi).  I have more pictures, but they are a pain to post.

Here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/152523340   

***New edit** forgot password for Vimeo - it's maestronet.  (not the it's or period).

Pretty much wowed all the press in attendance.

attachicon.gifP1200108.JPG

An amazing midi instrument from Tribal Tools: the Kadabra.  It has 3 finishes; retail will be from $1800. and change to $2200.  It has some pressure sensitive buttons behind the grip of the upper arm, some sort of accelerometer so it is sensitive to movement, "keys" on the bottom, and an octave switch (those LED buttons) on top.  The buttons are color coded to match function modification. (ie, octave range and the keys being pressed). 

Looks very much like a Klingon Batliff. 

Fully wireless, long range, but it does need a laptop to work (for the wireless and midi).  I have more pictures, but they are a pain to post.

Here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/152523340

Pretty much wowed all the press in attendance.

Thanks for sharing, but give us the vimeo password please.

Here's some more details about the new Yamaha YEV, just in time to answer your question. Very interesting.

http://www.violinist.com/blog/laurie/20161/17312/

I like the fact that it can take a variety of chinrests, and it appears that it could work for those of us who prefer not to use a shoulder rest. I'm also impressed that it's lighter than the typical acoustic violin. Those are all issues that turned me off to many/most current EV's on the market.

And it sure doesn't hurt that it's reasonably priced either!

Thanks for sharing, but give us the vimeo password please.

Apologies - late at night. :blink:   I included the password above, but it should not be a surprise to anyone on this list - maestronet.

My impression was that it wasn't necessarily lighter than most violins, but certainly lighter than almost every other electric violin.  The price is certainly attractive, and it sounded pretty good under challenging acoustic circumtsances.  Caroline Campbell played very well.