keyboardclass

Turning a 1/8 cello into a cello da spalla

I have actually messed around with that a little. Not being a very good player, I can't really evaluate it well, but here's my impression. The cello body is kind of deep, and the neck angle makes the bridge quite high. This puts the bowing area of the strings quite far from the player's body, and it seemed very awkward to me. Someone who has actually played a cello da spalla needs to chime in here.

@ fiddledough exactly what I was posting, but then I accidentally deleted it...

Just Google violoncello da spalla and you will find pictures which give you an idea. It is clearly visible that the bridge on the instrument of Sergey malov ist less tall and much less arched than a 1/8 cellos bridge would be. The bridges on some instruments looks like something between a large viola model and a cello model. So you'd probably need a neck reset. Most players interested in such an instrument would probably like 5 strings. Btw I believe Badiarov copied a particular instrument from some museum. Try to find out which and you might find technical drawings available

Hey thanks.  Mine will have gut strings and I shall be working up to 5!  The real MO though is a bass instrument I can sling on my back and cycle off to band (baroque that is).

@keyboardclass, did you ever finish your 'cello da spalla conversion?  How did it turn out?  Where there any pitfalls?  Did you need to reset the neck after all?

If it's feasible, I am extremely interested in performing a similar conversion.