guess the wood

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staining musical instruments, 1850

https://books.google.com/books?id=oUdJAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA72&dq=to+stain+boxwood&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYr-7boLnKAhXIQyYKHcyMCykQ6AEIMDAA#v=onepage&q=to%20stain%20boxwood&f=false

Paint the pegs. :blink:

For fingerboards, flutes, etc, it refers the reader to another section, which uses a logwood stain.

P.S. the black logwood stain includes verdigris... keep those old pegs out of your mouth.[/qu

Thanks for the link Addie.

And congratulations. You're a genius.

I am adding this late reply to the question regarding the dark pegs in post #1 because I tripped over a long piece of IPE today that looked remarkably like the peg wood. This piece has remarkably straight grain, no knots and no pores - and it is super dense.

Apologies of this is completely irrelevant by now.

I think that Joe's piece looks ok Woljjk

Boxwood has a really soft crumbly thin bark. Over years it dries out and can flake off, and the surface texture wears smooth. You can scrape it off with your thumbnail, and it turns to powder. A few decades knocking about a workshop, and it will look like Joe's.

The pieces you have look very dark on my screen. Any I've seen is a pale creamy colour.

I think that Joe's piece looks ok Woljjk

Boxwood has a really soft crumbly thin bark. Over years it dries out and can flake off, and the surface texture wears smooth. You can scrape it off with your thumbnail, and it turns to powder. A few decades knocking about a workshop, and it will look like Joe's.

The pieces you have look very dark on my screen. Any I've seen is a pale creamy colour.

Conor I got my stock 34 years ago!