Sign in to follow this  
MeyerFittings

guess the wood

Pegs may be Brazilian walnut.  I snagged a piece of that once from a jobsite,  worse health mistake I ever made.  The jagged grain is what I was looking at.  Not sure of the neck wood.

When I took a summer course at College of The Redwoods years ago, the students were provided with a wood they called "ironbark" to make the soles of our Krenov style planes. The violin pegs in your photograph remind me of that wood. Just a guess though.

post-77143-0-24414500-1452804162_thumb.jpeg

The red-orange open-grained one looks to me like one or another of the padauks.  What does it smell like?

I think the pegs are Laburnum sp. it was used a lot for furniture and musical instruments. Poisonous as hell. Tree in the pea family.

Image: Dundee Heritage.

post-35343-0-14409400-1452841314_thumb.jpg

What about the viola? German, british? Looks like an interesting baroque instrument with original stained fingerboard. The pegholes appear to be spiral bushed. Are the pegs original to the instrument (they are a bit small for viola pegs)?

I'm very curious to see more of it.

What about the viola? German, british? Looks like an interesting baroque instrument with original stained fingerboard. The pegholes appear to be spiral bushed. Are the pegs original to the instrument (they are a bit small for viola pegs)?

I'm very curious to see more of it.

:) Its an Andrea Guarneri isnt it!