Sign in to follow this  
vathek

New Chinese church built in violin form

As far as the previous church discussion, I'm with Romberg on the need for traditional layout, in many cases.  There are deep symbolic reasons and historical roots associated with the design of churches built by some denominations, including mine.  :)

Thanks VDA, just to clarify one thing.

I do not think that the design of modern church must necessarily follow a traditional layout. On the contrary, modern church has to be modern, but the design should be based on universal rules of architecture, which is one of the most complex human activities.

As an architect with 40 years of experience strongly argue that architecture has universal language to be again and again discovered, upgraded and developed in accordance with new ideas and technological achievements.

In this case it will not happened ridiculous incidents as "Violin Church" but neither over-designed excesses we can find recent years, which in architecture see only fashion with the aim only to provoke wow-effect and celebrate its author or investor.

I hope and wish that after this explanation you’ll still be with me.  :D 

As for the interior design, it is only a small segment of architecture which is more and more overtaken by designers or decorators and there really anyone can find what best suits their preferences.

My contribution to discussion about interior furnishing let be an example of an elitist combination of old and new in the interior designed by the superstar Philippe Starck, with no intention of critical assessment or opting.

http://decoholic.org/2012/10/31/gramercy-yoo-by-philippe-starck/

post-60277-0-16271400-1452952501_thumb.jpg

One thing about all of them that is absolutely not me, there isn't a flipping bookcase in sight anywhere! :blink:   Oh, and BTW, where's the bar??  :ph34r:  :lol:...

Curious of that "baroque" room.  Something is off about it.  What is that a photo of?

I didn't have time to look at every design example on Google ^_^...so I picked three living room examples of different design styles, Baroque, Minimalist and Mission. I did deliberately choose clean 'unlived in' examples - so that personal elements didn't figure into it. Those aren't my all time favourite examples of each style...just clear examples of each style.

Baroque and Minimalist are two extremes. Mission falls somewhat in the middle. All three are very distinct (can't confuse them with anything else) and all three are beautiful.

I like the combination of old and new interior design...it works well.  :) BUT...it's not a clear example of a design style...it's a hybrid.

I also took note of the 'bookshelf wallpaper'...lol... :D

I like the combination of old and new interior design...it works well.  :) BUT...it's not a clear example of a design style...it's a hybrid.

I also took note of the 'bookshelf wallpaper'...lol... :D

...design style is branded "Philippe Starck.".. :)

...and the bookshelf is there because VdA asked for it... :lol:

There's a photo floating around facebook of a Taiwanese church that looks like a glass stiletto heel (what bible verse could have inspired this?).  Like the violin church, it's cute until you think about the religious persecution and oppression in that region of the world and how the Christian faith is twisted into something unrecognizable to people in the West by what is still basically a totalitarian government. Christians at risk of being murdered for their faith in North Korea (where Bibles are illegal) are not allowed escape into China (where Bibles cannot be legally sold), which in my opinion makes those two countries about the same on the human rights front.  I agree with romberg flat that's it's not just a design or architecture choice, it's a symptom of a massive cultural problem and it's kind of a tragedy to me, personally, to see a church shaped like an object.  Basically, that's in willful ignorance of many hundreds of years of architecture and design of places or worship, and it trivializes faith in the extreme.  jmo obviously.

I know the topic became more light hearted and such a comment may not be what you all wanted on a Saturday morning, but I just thought I'd get all serious and point that out.

Kind of ironic that there's intolerance shown in the previous post decrying intolerance...

Personally,  I like interesting architecture, and although the first violin structure doesn't qualify, I think the glass version does.

Neil

The world is very capable of being intolerant without citing religion as a reason.  <_<  One can also always try to voice an opinion without insulting 1/3 of the world's population. :rolleyes:

There's a photo floating around facebook of a Taiwanese church that looks like a glass stiletto heel (what bible verse could have inspired this?).  Like the violin church, it's cute until you think about the religious persecution and oppression in that region of the world and how the Christian faith is twisted into something unrecognizable to people in the West by what is still basically a totalitarian government.

What? Taiwan is controlled by a totalitarian government and there is religious persecution and oppression? Clearly you have no clue. Do some "basic" homework before you criticizing countries "in that region of the world".

Regarding the stiletto church, there is a lot of controversy and many locals are baffled as well. According to the builder, the church is to pay tribute to young ladies whose legs were amputated due to the blackfoot disease. They never had a chance to wear stilettos. The blackfoot disease was serious in the late 1950s in the neighboring towns where the church is currently built. Christian churches and hospitals play important roles, especially in the beginning, in helping to combat the disease.

One can also always try to voice an opinion without insulting 1/3 of the world's population. :rolleyes:

I absolutely agree!!  Why do that when, with just a little more effort and care, you can insult and offend 70-90% of 'em.  :lol:  :ph34r:

Violently murderous persecution of religious minorities is a serious current problem, and isn't just a Communist failing, but, by not doing the research, NT picked a poor example to argue from.  D+  :P

While we're on the subject, I'm afraid that it's time to announce that without considerable effort on your parts, some of you may be in danger of failing Advanced Sarcasm this semester.  That would be a great tragedy, as I have seldom seen a class with so much natural talent in it..... tongue_smiley49.gif

Sorry, I saw this, originally from a Fox news (ugh) story

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/01/14/this-glass-church-is-made-to-look-like-high-heeled-shoe/

and had no idea the church was somehow related to giving hope to people with a disease.

So are you all saying that there is no religious persecution in China, it's a safe place for being a religious person or having belief in God etc.? Really?

I know Taiwan is not China, but the laws were and have been similar in both, regarding practice of religion. Christians are still persecuted in Taiwan although a recent BBC story said the situation might be improving...

Sorry, I saw this, originally from a Fox news (ugh) story

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/01/14/this-glass-church-is-made-to-look-like-high-heeled-shoe/

and had no idea the church was somehow related to giving hope to people with a disease.

Sad story indeed but the symbolism should be recognized without additional interpretation what only means that “the shoemakers” unfortunately missed the target. Here is the photo just that all can visualize what it is about. How the hell (God forbid) would someone, who does not know the story, might know that this Manolo Blahnik shoe is there to give hope to people with the disease?

post-60277-0-33938800-1452971683_thumb.jpg

And here are a few inventive “architectural” examples of how building appearance (following generally known rule that form follows function) at first sight unequivocally indicates the intended use:

post-60277-0-92494900-1452971705_thumb.jpg post-60277-0-92830100-1452971727_thumb.jpg

post-60277-0-92512200-1452971744_thumb.jpg post-60277-0-77755800-1452971758_thumb.jpg

I can hardly wait to be in China or the United States build a new clinic of Urologynecology.

It might be something...  :o 

Sad story indeed but the symbolism should be recognized without additional interpretation what only means that “the shoemakers” unfortunately missed the target. Here is the photo just that all can visualize what it is about:

attachicon.gifchurchheel - taiwan.jpg

And here are a few inventive “architectural” examples of how building appearance (following generally known rule that form follows function) at first sight unequivocally indicates the intended use:

attachicon.gifLongaberger Headquaters - Newark - Ohio - USA.jpg attachicon.gifNational Fisheries Development Board - Hyderabad - India.jpg

attachicon.gifKansas-City-Public-Library-Missouri-USA.jpg attachicon.gifDog Bark Park Inn - Cottonwood Idaho USA.jpg

I can hardly wait to be in China or the United States build a new clinic of Urologynecology.

It might be something...  :o 

Something one wouldn't dare post here.  A++ happy-smiley30.gif

I know Taiwan is not China, but the laws were and have been similar in both, regarding practice of religion. Christians are still persecuted in Taiwan although a recent BBC story said the situation might be improving...

You once again amazed me. "(L)aws were and have been similar in both, regarding practice of religion"; this cannot be further away from the truth. I googled "taiwan religion freedom" (no quotes) and the first entry is this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Taiwan . Part of the page read as the follows.

Restrictions on religious freedom

Taiwan's policies and practices contribute to the generally free practice of religion.

There are no reports of religious prisoners or detainees in Taiwan.

Forced religious conversion

There are no reports of forced religious conversion.

"Christians are still persecuted in Taiwan although a recent BBC story said the situation might be improving". I'll be very interested in reading this report, if it exists. Please, enlighten me. (BTW, my wife is a christian [i'm not] and she is now in the Sunday morning church. Should I be worried that she'll not be coming back for lunch?)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-30001063

A misleading paragraph here which hints that there is a problem in Taiwan. I was wrong and I'm glad to be wrong. I wish you and your wife and everyone else in Taiwan and everywhere safety and freedom and peaceful soviergnity in political and religious matters. I think my concerns were mostly about China's human rights record anyway, which I admit I conflated with Taiwanese laws and policy.

End of rant. Did I finally offend everyone? If I missed someone I can try again.