Sign in to follow this  
vathek

New Chinese church built in violin form

I don't mind it! :)

It's funky (not quite the 'elegant' that they are thinking it is), but the proportions (from what I can see) work...

It's cute! Come on...admit that you like it...just a little!

No way!  :angry: 

Architecture (like violin making) has its own principles and rules from which derives its form. If that form is only imitating some other known form without any other reason other the wish “to look like as” or to differ, then such architecture sucks (excuse my language).

The architecture of churches takes a special place in the history of architecture. Everyone knows for examples of Early Christian, Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance or Baroque churches that belong to architectural masterpieces of their time. Many know and admire churches designed by a Great Modern Masters, such are for example Oscar Niemeyer, Alvar Aalto or Le Corbusier. Less known, but not less valuable are works of contemporary architects like Peter Zumthor, Tadao Ando or Rafael Moneo... These are all examples of architecture that posses a recognizable formal identity and a strong metaphysical symbolism that such places of worship must have. (It is easy to search on Google to see what I mean)

Besides the primordial function of churches as places of worship they always have been the place of gathering community, and this social aspect is becoming increasingly important. So important that in order to attract more people some search for populist solutions contrived symbolism as in case of so called "Violin Church" in Foshan.

Music is definitely something that people gathers and violin is with no doubt its most recognizable symbol. Three reasons mentioned here http://chinachristiandaily.com/2016-01-05/church/yanbu--violin-church--dedicated--foshan--guangdong_399.html

to be indicated as an incentive for such an weird occurrence of the “Violin Church” per se do not sound so bad but when literally translated into cumbersome banal form of violin with windows (sic) become simply grotesque.

One must wonder what could be expected next. To trivialize until the end we can assume that people rather around music would prefer to hang around McDonald's. Would not it be cute to next church give a shape of Big Mac and add hot dog mounted vertically as a campanile. In addition to support such ingenious witticism I’m sure it won’t be difficult to come up with a "deep" symbolic biblical analogy, something about bread and feeding the hungry etc. and here you go. We have a new sensation. So cool!

Much ink has been spent to describe relation between architecture and music sublimed in words by Goethe "architecture is frozen music", but in this case we get only senseless noise. Or with the words of one respected member of this forum: RUBBISH.

Hopefully that it will not become so USUAL but sadly it seems the disease is spreading rapidly… :wub: 

post-60277-0-34462900-1452797529_thumb.jpg post-60277-0-88711700-1452797544_thumb.jpg

One must wonder what could be expected next. To trivialize until the end we can assume that people rather around music would prefer to hang around McDonald's. Would not it be cute to next church give a shape of Big Mac and add hot dog mounted vertically as a campanile. In addition to support such ingenious witticism I’m sure it won’t be difficult to come up with a "deep" symbolic biblical analogy, something about bread and feeding the hungry etc. and here you go. We have a new sensation. So cool!

I swear that didn’t know this while writing. It seems that the future is already here. Now we just have to wait and see the design of the first such church.  :lol: 

post-60277-0-42222100-1452854358_thumb.png

The thing that ruins it for me are the uniformly squarish rectangular windows all aligned in a row. FFs fulfill an aesthetic function as well, to add a dynamic flow to the fiddle. These windows are bad feng shui that  ruin the flow of energy.

The thing that ruins it for me are the uniformly squarish rectangular windows all aligned in a row. FFs fulfill an aesthetic function as well, to add a dynamic flow to the fiddle. These windows are bad feng shui that  ruin the flow of energy.

Exactly!

If for a moment leave aside entirely missed the basic concept, the windows on the "violin body” (besides the cross added on its scroll) are the most ridiculous detail of that architectural mishmash.

Instead that (in accordance with the principles of traditional feng shui) FFs were used for the flow of energy, similar to dragon holes (fig. 1) in a numerous huge modern buildings of Chinese cities, here were designed rows of windows behind which are hidden apartments for the priests.

Fulfill the void inside the violin body, which in fact determines its external shape and therefore is the essence of the entire concept of the violin with residential units shows completely misunderstanding.

If the spatial and symbolic potential that posses an empty space inside the violin (fig.2) been used in the interior design of church’s nave, as had done the designers of the Museo del Violino in Cremona (Fig.3) or Zaha Hadid in her JS Bach Chamber Music Hall in Manchester (video) the result could have been great.

Unfortunately that required an elementary knowledge and a little talent what creators of this architectural freak unfortunately did not have.

post-60277-0-96896600-1452871068_thumb.jpg

post-60277-0-99799900-1452871079_thumb.jpg

post-60277-0-10508900-1452871099_thumb.jpg

When I read the title of the post, for a few brief seconds I get excited. I had an image of natural wood interior that combined high  level boat building tradition with the skills of a Renaissance architect.  For those precious few seconds I was excited.  The let down was significant.  Almost nobody makes anything beautiful any more :(

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  What I think is beautiful...might not be what you think is beautiful.

...and no...I don't think the violin church is beautiful...but it's cute...in a funky way...

I prefer natural beauty to artifice:

For another example...I was watching a TV show (with reenactments...and commentary).  The woman in question - had a hippy vibe going on.  Older woman, thin, long greying hair, no make-up, flowing clothes.  I thought she was quite beautiful.  I was actually quite taken aback when the commenter described her as 'hippy, ungroomed, unkempt'.  His wife apparently has her hair coloured, wears tons of makeup, does her nails, dresses in the latest fashion.  So his idea of beauty was totally opposite to mine...

(BTW...I'm not a hippy...I probably fall into a middle ground between the extremes...)...

When I read the title of the post, for a few brief seconds I get excited. I had an image of natural wood interior that combined high  level boat building tradition with the skills of a Renaissance architect.  For those precious few seconds I was excited.  The let down was significant.  Almost nobody makes anything beautiful any more :(

I’m not quite sure what you meant by that. But this might shade a glimmer of optimism on your dark view on present state of creativity and craftsmanship:

Bruder Klaus Field Chapel, Germany by Peter Zumthor, hope will work.  :) 

http://www.archdaily.com/106352/bruder-klaus-field-chapel-peter-zumthor

post-60277-0-69512900-1452878166_thumb.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  What I think is beautiful...might not be what you think is beautiful.

...and no...I don't think the violin church is beautiful...but it's cute...in a funky way...

Rue, this is not about the beauty, this is about the meaning. This church is completely absurd in all elements of its structure, physical as well as symbolic. The motto that inspired its construction “Praise Him with Stringed Instruments” (Psalm 150:4) is incentive but the result is a caricature.

The words as funky, cool or cute tell nothing about the object someone is talking about, but only about personal subjective impression about it.  :) 

IMHO, "architecture" like this relates more to flung dung than to feng shui.  Definitely appalling kitsch:rolleyes:  :lol:

There is also room for kitsch...

If everything were heart-wrenchingly beautiful...we would quickly become immune to it.

And as far as deeper meaning goes... well...sometimes I want to pick up War and Peace, and sometimes I want to pick up a bodice-ripper...

Sometimes I just don't WANT to delve for meaning below what I see on the surface.

Another example:  Yesterday I listened to a male voice (singing an emotive song) with only light musical accompaniment in the background.

The voice was beautiful...the words were beautiful...the music ideal...it enhanced the vocals.  It was enough to bring tears to my eyes.  My husband felt something similar (so this wasn't a gender-specific thing...it was an appreciation of the beauty of male vocals)

BUT...I can't listen to that ALL the time.  It's beauty - and the meaning of it all - would diminish.

It's beauty - and the meaning of it all - would diminish.

And this building is rubbish and the meaning can’t diminish anything because it’s meaningless.

Come on … admit that’s truth (at least to yourself) 

post-60277-0-14971200-1452885423_thumb.jpg

One thing I find amusing is, if negative chi travels in straight lines, then in this church all the negagive chi is being channeled into the cross at the top. Was that intentional and will Jesus purify it?

Here are three living rooms with different 'designs'.

They are all beautiful.  Which do you prefer?

post-48723-0-62424200-1452891320_thumb.jpg

post-48723-0-79890200-1452891333_thumb.jpg

post-48723-0-39819700-1452891348_thumb.jpg

Emphatically the baroque, one could entertain there. The first one looks like an accountant's office (or a lobbyist's), masculinely unimaginative, exudes expensive, and offends no one, while the second is a soulless postmodern refrigerator for the senses.  :)  :lol:

See now...I think they are all beautiful. But I would pick the Mission to live in (of those 3 options)...

And sometimes. ..I would opt/ prefer to live with something less beautiful too...

One thing about all of them that is absolutely not me, there isn't a flipping bookcase in sight anywhere! :blink:   Oh, and BTW, where's the bar??  :ph34r:  :lol:

My place is actually rather eclectically decorated (the rooms don't match, for sure) and comfortably lived in, with plenty of memorabilia.  The photos you posted look like hotel ads or something.

As far as the previous church discussion, I'm with Romberg on the need for traditional layout, in many cases.  There are deep symbolic reasons and historical roots associated with the design of churches built by some denominations, including mine.  :)

The baroque one has a Chinese caption? lower right which might suggest it's not a real baroque room but a Chinese copy of one that is just 'off' in some way.