Sign in to follow this  
Advocatus Diaboli

Strad (and other) models database?

I have had really good luck with printing Addie's drawings at the University library. It is possible that I have gotten very lucky. Using the tabloid sized files, I printed at 100% on 11x17. To check, I measured with a good machinists rule and found the given dimensions checked out. Then I checked them against the Pollens book with a light table. Bingo. 

1 hour ago, scordatura said:

Hi Addie. We appreciate your wonderful work. Your kreisler del gesu is very close to the strad and biddulf plans except the shape of the top and bottom. They are a bit short. The strad poster and biddulf agree. 

20180505_183335.jpg

20180505_183223.jpg

Does anyone know this instrument personally well enough to provide comment? I have never handled a DG but have heard he was not super consistent on overhang. 

Played it a few times. From what I remember no large overhangs on top and bottom. Biddulf states overhang at 2.0 to 2.5 at the top and bottom.

This violin has everything for a player (at least for my playing approach). I remember studying the plaster cast that was done by Morel. Compared to all of the instruments there it is far superior for the performer.

First I think the participants should agree on some rules for identifying the moulds from the outline of the instrument. Maybe a kind of checklist would be helpful. Because some moulds are just a small variation to another one it might be impossible to pin it down as the article written by Philip Ihle in the Strad showed quite clearly.

21 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

It's difficult to get these PDFs to print at just the right scale. I take them to FedEx to get them printed on their big poster printers. It seems that these industrial printers are set to print slightly over sized, to cover up any edge artifacts or something. It's Like they print at 102.5 %, or something. So I have to scan the printouts several times at different combinations to arrive at just the right size. 

If FedEx doesn't print at the specified size, that's not a file problem.

21 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I have had really good luck with printing Addie's drawings at the University library. It is possible that I have gotten very lucky. Using the tabloid sized files, I printed at 100% on 11x17. To check, I measured with a good machinists rule and found the given dimensions checked out. Then I checked them against the Pollens book with a light table. Bingo. 

Thanks!  I usually only get negative feedback.  ^_^

21 hours ago, scordatura said:

I remember studying the plaster cast that was done by Morel. 

I had trouble matching the cast to the ct scan.  Although excellent overall, the edges of the plate casts are not well defined.

2 hours ago, Addie said:

If FedEx doesn't print at the specified size, that's not a file problem.

I know this. I just have to check other places out. Possibly an actual dedicated print shop.

13 hours ago, Addie said:

Thanks!  I usually only get negative feedback.  ^_^

By the way, I wan't  being negative about your Kreisler outline. I was just putting it out there for accuracy/discussion.  I have already abandoned a halfway done copy of the Ysaye Guarneri when I finally got the Biddulph books. I was horrified how off my outline was. So bad that I abandoned ship. I have vowed to do my research this time before I begin!

I know that you were going with the CT scan. I don't remember if the Kreisler cast was of the top or back. I would guess the top.

You have done a great service to us Addie!

In observance of Addie's passing, Jeff agreed to pin this thread in which Addie shared his talent for creating templates of the forms of Stradivari along with other things.  If anyone did not follow Addie's posts, this is a good place to begin to get to know his substantial contributions to our community.