Sign in to follow this  
Advocatus Diaboli

Strad (and other) models database?

As you note, some forms of violin were cut down (B, P / B) others could have been simply duplicated from another (MS 21 from MS44)....

I mentioned this in another thread but there is a possibility the CV form was cut down as well at the top. The CV fits nicely around the archinto outline except at the upper bout which is a little more elongated (kind of like a long strad. Looking at the later violas like the MacDonald and gibson the upper bout is flatter and shorter -- a better fit for the current shape of the CV

The works of Denis and Pollens, and the forthcoming book on the Stradivari collection by the Museo del Violino are sufficient, I think, for those who want to know more. My main purpose in this project was to accurately record the Stradivari forms so that they could be used to match up instruments and forms. I hope people will continue to pursue that line of inquiry. And the scrolls, well, I love them and can't resist drawing them. :)

I was thinking about the body outlines. Do they match his molds? Why were they made?

Are you talking about the viol and guitar outlines?  I believe they do match fairly well.  The NMM paper template seems to match the Bros. Amati the best.

Are you talking about the viol and guitar outlines?  I believe they do match fairly well.  The NMM paper template seems to match the Bros. Amati the best.

I'm pretty sure I fitted a G outline to it, but need to check my files...

Dear AD,

do you have the outline of the Amati paper ? do yo know the original measurement of it?

Somewhere in a notebook I have a scan and measurements of it.  I'm not sure where it is at the moment, but I'll try and find it.  I also don't believe it was originally made by the Bros. or Andrea Amati.  The FF hole layout in particular is (to me) more reminiscent of Guadagnini layout, but using a Strad-like FF hole template.

Somewhere in a notebook I have a scan and measurements of it.  I'm not sure where it is at the moment, but I'll try and find it.  I also don't believe it was originally made by the Bros. or Andrea Amati.  The FF hole layout in particular is (to me) more reminiscent of Guadagnini layout, but using a Strad-like FF hole template.

Good ; when you say "layout" do you include the "connexion" with the 3 circles?

Addie, did you get that book yet?  Still want to chip in but don't have a link.

Thanks for all your work on this thread.

Rod

Hi, no, the book comes out in June.  I'll be sure to let everyone know when it arrives.  :)

PM Peter for donations.

Thanks!

Here is my drawing of the NMM pattern.  IT IS NOT TO SCALE.

Also not complete. I'm having trouble reading the annotations for the thickness diagram. There's also a word or two at the very top I can't read... Not to mention the reverse side of the pattern.