JacksonMaberry

JacksonMaberry's Bench

Time to clear up the ambiguity in my previous post - my wife and I will be starting at IU Bloomington Jacobs School of Music in the fall, where she'll be studying baroque violin with Stanley Ritchie and I'll be studying violin making with Tom Sparks. Couldn't be more excited! 

That's exciting for both of you!  Congrats! :)

1 minute ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Thank you! We will both endeavor to be attentive and focused students. =D

Make sure you keep up updated on your progress...

I will! I aim to make this bench topic very active once school starts. I'm embarrassed to look back at my previous posts in this thread - how little I knew and how undisciplined my work. I still know essentially nothing and my work is hardly better. I'm trying not to do too much even though all I want is to work on fiddles. Once I have Tom looking over my shoulder I'll work in earnest, knowing that if I do something wrong he'll help me get back on track. 

It's been a couple months since I started school, so I figured i should post some here. I've been keeping very active on Instagram, documenting this first violin of mine. I apologize for the lack of order to the above photos, but MN didn't retain the order I selected them in. 

School is going well and is so much fun! I have access to the shop for three hours per day, and Tom is a great and patient teacher. This violin will be done in Baroque setup, but with a morticed neck put on before the belly. 

Great looking work,  I especially like the garland. Can you explain more about any baroque differences as you progress with the build? Shorter neck, lighter bassbar etc.....

3 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Great looking work,  I especially like the garland. Can you explain more about any baroque differences as you progress with the build? Shorter neck, lighter bassbar etc.....

Thanks, and that means a lot coming from you! I'm fortunate (in so many ways, really) that I have access to some really nice Baroque fiddles to look at, including a Stainer and a Maggini, for reference. My friend also has an interesting Tim Johnson Stainer copy that has a morticed neck - but you'd never know, seeing it.

As I learned from Hargrave's essays, Stainer and others were using 132mm necks even then, so that's what I'll use. It helps players that live in both worlds. Setting the neck before the top plate goes on means you can retain the portion of the edge that would otherwise have to be cut away. Due to the wedged board, adjustments to poirette and appui can take place there. 

The bass bar is something I've thought about a little, but not enough yet. It will be lighter, and it will probably be set in at a slightly different angle - instead of the 7ths relationship, perhaps a golden section relationship. Gotta ask my teacher, when I get there. 

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Glad it's going well!

How is your wife doing?

She's really doing well! She loves working with Stanley Ritchie and is playing a lot of solo, chamber, and orchestra rep. 

I see a lot of natural talent and opportunity in front of you. I hope you continue to share more as you progress for those of us less fortunate....I wish you and your wife the very best in your careers.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:04 PM, lpr5184 said:

I see a lot of natural talent and opportunity in front of you. I hope you continue to share more as you progress for those of us less fortunate....I wish you and your wife the very best in your careers.

That's a huge compliment and very kind of you to say. I feel so grateful for the opportunity to learn, both at school and from the maestri e maestre here. 

Using Salve Håkedal's guide, I set out to make a Baroque fingerboard. Using a Paulownia core for lightness, I laminated the sides with maple, then the top with ebony. While the ebony bent well with the water and spirit lamp trick, when I went to glue it on today it slipped and cracked. There goes $25! So I restarted the process with maple for the upper surface also. *Sigh* much more forgiving material! 

IMG_20171018_150121.jpg

IMG_20171018_143232.jpg

IMG_20171017_134841.jpg

More or less finalized my back arching today using David Beard's method - punching heights based on simple geometric relationships and working down to them. It goes quite fast and the work flows pretty naturally. I'm going to purfle this one with the box closed before fluting the channel and doing the edgework. On to the belly! 

IMG_20171021_134837.jpg

IMG_20171021_130646.jpg

On 10/21/2017 at 5:02 PM, Stavanger said:

Wow! That is a beauty! Great work

Thanks very much! I managed to repair the cracked ebony piece, so I made a second fingerboard with it, and a tailpiece to match.

IMG_20171026_154508.jpg

IMG_20171025_123927.jpg

IMG_20171026_154402.jpg

IMG_20171025_153431.jpg

Thank you all very much. It is just such a treat to be doing it! 

Worked on the scroll today - tricky stuff! Tried using glass scrapers and boy do they work fast and with a very light touch. Scary, though, snapping chips off a plate of glass. So far the scroll is the part I've been least satisfied with as the work has developed. At many points I've been ready to chuck it out and start over, but I might as well see it through and learn. 

IMG_20171030_143538.jpg

IMG_20171030_144209.jpg

Scrolls are my favorite and setting the neck my most feared.  Ironic how my least and most loved tasks are on opposite sides of the same piece of wood.

-Jim