Sign in to follow this  
Edward Byler

Gewa 110 volt violin bending iron

I received a response today which stated that they are currently working on certification to be able to ship to the U.S. but presently are unable because of the 110 volt . He said I should find a European resident who would be willing to do it . I may try Gewa again but maybe that's why they don't show a 110 unit on there site at all. Luthiers Bench makes the 110 unit but can't sell it to the U.S. Yet .

I'm in Canada and i wonder if the issue is the same. No response from them yet

Urban luthier I just sent a query as to whether they would ship to Canada. I live 20 miles from Canada in North Idaho and I have friends right across the border whom I could have it shipped to if it is allowable . I'll post their response

I'm in Canada and i wonder if the issue is the same. No response from them yet

Just heard back from David today. Combination of an issue with their website and the holiday break slowed their response. They are unable to ship to north america at present due to the difference in electrical certification. They are working on getting the correct certification.

I'm ordering their bending straps which look quite nice. My strap is stuck in a bent position which drives me nuts!

Chris

Does anyone know what's happening at Luthier's Bench?  I had a couple of e-mails from David Stuttard, made the payment on 10 Jan and was waiting for confirmation and estimated delivery date.  I've  sent e-mails since and had no reply.  I tried the website just now and can't connect.  It doesn't look good.

I ordered their bending straps and received a shipping notice from DHL today that the package is on its way. I've also made payment for a bending Iron and I'm waiting for David to follow up with timing and shipping details. 

Communication has been sporadic. I expect they are a small operation and make their products to order. 

Thanks. I tried the website again this morning and it's working so I put a message on it.  Fingers crossed.  I'm sure you are right about the size of the operation but they ought to reply to e-mails.

Just heard back from David today. Combination of an issue with their website and the holiday break slowed their response. They are unable to ship to north america at present due to the difference in electrical certification. They are working on getting the correct certification.

I'm ordering their bending straps which look quite nice. My strap is stuck in a bent position which drives me nuts!

Chris

Chris, I have the same problem with my bending strap.  Please report back if the new one is an improvement.

-Jim

Chris, I have the same problem with my bending strap.  Please report back if the new one is an improvement.

-Jim

Hi jim

i did a quick test with the straps by bending them around the tight curve of a bending iron and they sprung back to their original position with no distortion. Although I haven't tested them in production yet, the initial test looks promising.

The straps look, feel and behave like spring steel. Quality of construction is excellent.

Chris

Yes, I've got one that I bought about 10 years ago. I've also got the Dictum one, which I bought mainly for the evening class I look after. They're both miles better than the Ibex. 

The English one has a more powerful heater (200W vs 100W) and is also suitable for cello ribs. It's also better put together and more sturdy. But the Dictum one is OK for less money.

Does the profile of the UK one allow the tight bending of upper C corner ribs?

I placed an order with Luthier's Bench in January. David confirmed that he received my full payment on January 15th, 2016 for a bending iron and strap. He told me delivery would be in a month. However the tools have not yet arrived and I have not had any further news from him. I have written him this week via email and via his site but he hasn't replied. Frankly, I'm beginning to worry. I sent 201.63€ via bank money order which is the only form of payment he currently accepts. Aside from the fact that I now really need the tools urgently, I don't know if there is any way of getting back my money if he disappears.

If any of you know him or have any contact with him please enquire about this frustrating situation.

If yougo back through the thread you

I placed an order with Luthier's Bench in January. David confirmed that he received my full payment on January 15th, 2016 for a bending iron and strap. He told me delivery would be in a month. However the tools have not yet arrived and I have not had any further news from him. I have written him this week via email and via his site but he hasn't replied. Frankly, I'm beginning to worry. I sent 201.63€ via bank money order which is the only form of payment he currently accepts. Aside from the fact that I now really need the tools urgently, I don't know if there is any way of getting back my money if he disappears.

If any of you know him or have any contact with him please enquire about this frustrating situation.

I placed my order at the beginning of Jan and didn't even get a confirmation; then last week I got an e-mail to say it was on its way.  The iron and strap arrived last Friday and are really nice.  They got baptised yesterday and the iron is so much better than the Ibex I was using. Have faith :)