Sign in to follow this  
Berl Mendenhall

Berl Mendenhall's Bench

Don't know if you can see from these pictures the white streaks.  It sticks out like a sore thumb. It went clear through and was visible on the inside, even more so than the outside.  I would have liked to have used this piece of wood, but didn't work out.

post-6653-0-03941000-1450963537_thumb.jpg

post-6653-0-04329100-1450963598_thumb.jpg

post-6653-0-03589300-1450963653_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't write it off so quick!  It might not result in the 'perfect' back, but it might result in a 'character' back - something that makes it stand out a little.  If it is good tone wood and has no other issue...I'd just finish it off and see what it looks like.  Maybe a darker brown varnish would help...or even a lighter than usual varnish?

Don't know if you can see from these pictures the white streaks.  It sticks out like a sore thumb. It went clear through and was visible on the inside, even more so than the outside.  I would have liked to have used this piece of wood, but didn't work out.

Berl I'll send you a nice piece for it,,

I've never done a long pattern and I would love to,

You've already got the pattern cut out,,

I'd use it.

I assume that it's euro,,

I've got some.

Or big leaf or red,,

I finally got the neck set on this Long Strad.  I had a D/G model I had to finish and get varnished, but this one is nearly ready for varnish.  Just a couple days of clean up,  neck, and finger board work, then it will be ready to varnish.

post-6653-0-33609400-1460825615_thumb.jpg

post-6653-0-88921600-1460825635_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys, the ground is on, so it won't be long now.  I have so many projects I want to make.  I have two project fiddles started, by project I mean a little different than normal.  Anxious to see how they turn out. Also I want to make a Maggini model, that one I will probably cut down to make it saleable.  I haven't decided yet, those babies are monsters.  My poster measures 14.5 inches or 368mm's.

Just a quick up date. The Long Stradivarius is finally done, about a week ago. Very pleasantly surprised, has a nice big sound. Other than the length I see nothing to complain about. The A does have a bit of a nasal sound but I suspect it's the string. The sound is smoothing out and improving almost daily. I'm so happy with it I plan to make another. Will post pictures later.

I have apologized before for my photos and these are no better.  These are of the Long Strad.  It turned out great, beautiful big sound.  As I said, I don't know what the hit on this model is.  Other than the quarter of an inch longer.  I intend to make at least one more and maybe more.  I believe classical players will poo poo the length but traditional players will love the sound.  Just a tiny bit dark and lots of reserve.   I did graft the neck and bush the pegs holes.  I didn't use any color in the varnish, I still have some antiquing to do.  I re-read the Hill book and they say the Long Strads are great sounding violins.  They say that just because they aren't golden period doesn't mean they aren't concert instruments.  For the life of me I just can't see how a quarter of and inch will make any difference in the playability.  The stop is 195 and the neck is 130mm.  I am very excited with this violin, I'm sure it will get even better. I am planning to attend the VSA in November and if I still have this fiddle I will bring it.  I want Mike Molnar and Don Noon to play it or at least hear it played.  This violin was made with my old wood, at least 75 years old.  I matched up the specific gravity with the top and back (2 to 1).   Every little bit helps.

post-6653-0-87211100-1465054066_thumb.jpg

post-6653-0-14469100-1465054089_thumb.jpg

post-6653-0-67641200-1465054107_thumb.jpg

post-6653-0-72868300-1465054124_thumb.jpg