Maestronet Forums

tap tone tools

jim mcavoy

I use a 'home brew' hard felt hammer at about 7 grams +/- ..it is non resonant and won't mar the finish ... a striking mallet from a piano would also work ...the convention is to soften it with olive oil on old mallets (I like 3 in 1 oil...it doesn't harden up as much)

The thinking is that with a hard mallet you also hear the striking head resonance (and the impact)

I find a knuckle to be variable

Edit...I use this for evaluations mostly

Jim

Edited by jim mcavoy

Speaking of free plates, I use the tip of my ring finger (not all the fingertip, only the very tip)

Knuckles are harder and excite too many high frequencies that disturb listening.

What could be better than the ring finger in order to hear the "ring" of modes...... :)

This also works when using a little skill and is equal to a light tap with a felt hammer

This also works when using a little skill and is equal to a light tap with a felt hammer

Yes, eraser of various hardness according to modes also work, or vinyl rubber as Don said.

But with a little practice the tip of fingertip is all you need, or at least may be enough for what I need to hear from free plates.