Sign in to follow this  
mindsquirrel

Best fingerboard, where to buy

Hello, I am looking to replace my fingerboard with a nicer, thiner fingerboard. As is, the fingerboard is too thick and the bridge has to be high.  I see "gabor" ebony, but I cannot tell if they are properly planed with the dip and all. I do not want to plane a fingerboard.

Much appreciated,

Dave

Hello, I am looking to replace my fingerboard with a nicer, thiner fingerboard. As is, the fingerboard is too thick and the bridge has to be high.  I see "gabor" ebony, but I cannot tell if they are properly planed with the dip and all. I do not want to plane a fingerboard.

Much appreciated,

Dave

Gaboon Ebony.

If you do not want to plane the fingerboard, then perhaps you should leave the replacement to someone who has done this before.

Fingerboards come as blanks-over-sized and in need of fitting,planing and dressing. The shape and "scoop" (dip) is done by the person who knows how, not the manufacturer of the board.

Perhaps the existing board can be planed and made to work better.

Much appreciated,

Dave

Good luck on that.  I suppose you could always be a complete barbarian and sand it.happy-smiley12.gif

As Duane has noted, fingerboards come, like bridges, as blanks.  You'd likely have much better luck having your existing fingerboard modified to your needs.  :)

Some buy them ready shaped, others buy the square blanks. 
It's hard to find really dense black ebony, I think you have to pay a lot more for it. 
Does it make any difference to the player or the sound ? Nope.

Neil Ertz got some good ones, not sure where. 

Much appreciated,

Dave

I was told that best fingerboards are made from African Blackwood which is wood clarinets are made from. It is resistant to moisture. Only the middle of the trunk is good , the rest has pores. The middle has no pores and it looks like glass. In 1997 I bought from Rare Woods in RSA a grade1 large piece for maybe 10 fingerboards. It was expensive. Maybe like $300. But my fingerboard which I had fitted in Lyon never gave signs of problems. I am curious as to what violin makers suggest as the best wood for fingerboard and where to buy it.

Well, they're the best I can find....not that it makes a difference. 

Where do you get yours from then ? 

With hindsight, I wonder whether the ones I ordered had been mis-labelled. They diidn't have that funny routed slot on the underside like they show in the photos. Do yours?

At the moment I'm making fingerboards from scratch from ebony boards I bought from a retired chap.

I just got some AAA grade boards, no 'slot' on em just the usual relief underside.

They're ok for the price, doubtless the ubermakers of Europe would frown at em.

are these the 60-odd euro ones?

Best Fingerboards today are from Juergen Klier in Premium Quality. Price is 27 Euro for Violin

www.klier-josef.de/index_us.html

From Dictum it is absolute not recommendable.

Mindsquirre:l                                Try international violin co, Baltimore Md.    item #10255.  price 16.00   These are almost to specs and take very little work to finish. Not the best ebony but ok for a DIYS.       Henry 

Much appreciated,

Dave

Not a job for the arm-chair luthier. I would pay to have it done correctly the first time.  Re-working the  board  you currently have sounds like a good strategy to start.

If you are going to purchase buy the highest quality blanks you can get your hands on, I typically order no less then 10 at a time, if you are lucky keep 20-30% and send the rest back.

I got a very nice one planed and ready to go from CJ Stephens here in the uk ebay shop price of £12 . I also got a set of 8 for £27 from violin india again from ebay these look very good but need to be planed to thickness delivery was about a week

I got a very nice one planed and ready to go from CJ Stephens here in the uk ebay shop price of £12 . I also got a set of 8 for £27 from violin india again from ebay these look very good but need to be planed to thickness delivery was about a week

Don't think it will be, Terry.

Never had any luck with Indian fingerboards. The ones I've had have usually been very flamey and almost impossible to plane.

It's hard to find really dense black ebony, I think you have to pay a lot more for it. 

Does it make any difference to the player or the sound ? Nope.

I think it makes a very noticeable difference in sound.

I quite like the flamed ebony, when it's polished and oiled looks good. 
Some of the Indian stuff can be ok, but I rather not use middle men to support 
sweat shops, where possible. 

As long as the f/b is the correct radius, proper scoop, and not too thin, 
it's not something that changes in design much, unless you're doing baroque ones.

Carl, if horse psychologists can find work I'm sure the same rings true for

fingerboards acousticians....doesn't mean there's any sense in it. 

Cheers.

density of the ebony the fingerboard is made from has a very noticeable influence in sound.