Sign in to follow this  
rabn

'New' Shape for the tailpiece

I am curious what other makers think about the new tailpiece whose end facing the bridge is on an angle instead of parallel?  Has anyone installed this type of tailpiece?  Anyone seen research on whether the acoustics improves, stays the same, or other wise?  Cheers for any and all help. 

Tailpieces are square ended, because they are. 
No point making them angle ended, and it would make NO difference whatsoever to the sound. 
Doubtless there are legions of musicians who would be taken in by such techno spiel, but 
it's as well to avoid them. 

Buy a tailpiece, and fit it. 

If I understand correctly your intentions, this argument has already been addressed on this forum, this is an example :

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/332505-does-these-tailpieces-really-enhance-tone/

For me it is aesthetically too ugly and costly to deserve a try..... :) :)

Thank you Davide,  As a new comer, both to violin making (I've only made 8) and to the site I just jumped in and asked the question.  I will conduct more research, next time, in the site to see if my question has been addressed before.  I do agree, with you, about the fingerboard.  I do not really like the shape.  Thanks again for the tip on researching the site.  :)

I've been forgetting to ask this for years:

Do some sets of strings—or maybe choice of gages— pull tailpieces out of line more than others?  Sometimes I look at a tailpiece which looks almost ridiculously angled.  Assuming those tailpieces are normal, is there anything other than strings that could cause that?

I'm not into angled tailpieces, but on some of those that look ridiculous I could see having a tailpiece that would compensate for it some way.