Sign in to follow this  
rabn

Given two bottles of old varnish

Hi All,

I was recently and generously given two bottles of an old varnish: "cello-lacquer"  Green and Blue.  A short description of how apply the varnish and at the bottom of each bottle is: Made by  Percy Wadham's Specialtities, Newport, I.W.

Would anyone have any information?  I've tried but have hit that 'brick wall'.  Hoping with the help of like minded souls with a love of research and musical instruments  I would receive more information.  Apparently the approximate date is from the 1940s but that is really a guess.  

Any and all help would be a great.  Cheers.

I assume you've already seen anything I just found on line.  But others might enjoy getting into the investigation.

Apparently Mr. Wadham manufactured fishing equipment, some of which sells for a lot of money at auctions.  Interesting that he had an interest in "cello-lacquer." It's hard not to ask, "What would the difference be between it and "violin-lacquer."  

Good luck.

http://www.vintageflytackle.com/products/percy-wadham-isle-of-wight-the-test-4-1-2