Sign in to follow this  
liang7079

How to achieve correct tail gut length

Wow...  Go on a two day business trip and come back to a landscape that's changed radically.  I think a good water balloon fight in January here in  Michigan might be in order.  30 paces and throw?  Last one to turn into an ice cube wins?

So...  did we decide how achieve the correct tail gut length?   :)

Yes, but this time we behaved. And we figured out the tail gut thing, too. I hope you appreciate we made some progress.  :lol:

What do you think ? You are embarassing yourself. WHAT IS YOUR POINT. IS it a point you want to make ?

If I were to try to pick one point, from what I've posted in this thread (and some other recent threads), it would be that what some people assert dogmatically, or as truth, can be legitimately questioned. One of the most challenging things in our business can be becoming cognizant of how much one yet doesn't know.

Some sleuthing, as well as a little time outside ones microcosm, can be useful for putting it all into focus.

Sure, I've got some strong opinions regarding who here really knows what they are talking about, and who is posturing, and who is puppeting. But I can't really go into things like that  here, particularly since matters may have recently risen to the level of threats, like in post #51: "that's bullshit and I can do something about it"

Thanks for asking. :)

The problem with classical CD is, how many versions of Tchaikovsky violin concerto do I want to own? I have a few that a like already. If I want to hear another version, I would rather hear it live. As long as young players keep recording the same repertoire, I don't see how their CDs can outsell Szeryng's or Heifetz'. That is why you need to do Andre Rieu or Lindsey Stirling.

Wow...  Go on a two day business trip and come back to a landscape that's changed radically.  I think a good water balloon fight in January here in  Michigan might be in order.  30 paces and throw?  Last one to turn into an ice cube wins?

So...  did we decide how achieve the correct tail gut length?   :)

In the another recent topic  "Is one of our finest dabbling in the black arts"  Romberg Flat in  post #23 gave us a picture of a mandolin that clearly shows no tail piece is used (other photos in this topic also show this).  This suggests that the strings could go all the way to the saddle. 

This completely eliminates all the bridge to tailpiece distance, the tail gut length, and the tail piece length questions.

I really want a CD of the Seitz Student Concertos (played seriously)...

*hint*

;)

I'm not sure what this was apropos to, but didja know that Itzhak Perlman recorded an album called Concertos from my Childhood.  It's got some Seitz on it.

If I were to try to pick one point, from what I've posted in this thread (and some other recent threads), it would be that what some people assert dogmatically, or as truth, can be legitimately questioned. One of the most challenging things in our business can be becoming cognizant of how much one yet doesn't know.

Some sleuthing can be useful for putting it all into focus.

Sure, I've got some strong opinions regarding who here really knows what they are talking about, and who is posturing, and who is puppeting. But I can't really go into things like that  here, particularly since matters may have recently risen to the level of threats, like in post #51: "that's bullshit and I can do something about it"

Thanks for asking. :)

But then David, it seems to me that's an easy one. You keep on fighting the good fight against dogma and hold on your "strong opinions who here really knows what are they talking about" and avoid heckling idiots such as myself. I'm just ranting to pass the time.  Of course, you might wish to revise the strong opinions once in a while - fairly recently some of them suffered a major setback.  Couple of years of opinions went right down the drain.  :lol:

""One of the most challenging things in our business can be becoming cognizant of how much one yet doesn't know."" 

Otherwise, avoid writing stuff like this ( post 47 ) :

"Which business? If I remember correctly, you said that you were once in the factory violin business. Are you now in the recording or recording sales business? Or do your professions shift around for convenience, depending on what you are posting about?"

The decent thing to do is ASK people first via a PM or email. Your implication is not nice and you've done that with other people, too. More than once. 

Why don't you make a list with people you think they don't really know what they're talking about or are puppeting or are posturing and then we all know how we stand , discuss openly, figure out how we can do things better and improve our communication and our image etc etc etc . Good idea, isn't it ?

Or we could forget about it and move on.

In the another recent topic  "Is one of our finest dabbling in the black arts"  Romberg Flat in  post #23 gave us a picture of a mandolin that clearly shows no tail piece is used (other photos in this topic also show this).  This suggests that the strings could go all the way to the saddle. 

This completely eliminates all the bridge to tailpiece distance, the tail gut length, and the tail piece length questions.

I thought your tailpiece-attached-to-the-fingerboard was a neat idea.

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/326222-beautiful-and-interesting-modern-design-viola/

One thing I am absolutely sure of without any hesitation or any self-depreciation: I know what I know.  And most of the time I am pretty sure that when people disagree with me it is because they don't know what I know.  But, of course, I don't always know what they know. either.  Maybe we should all know what we all know.  Hmm...I wonder how we'd go about arranging that?   :)

But then David, it seems to me that's an easy one. You keep on fighting the good fight against dogma and hold on your "strong opinions who here really knows what are they talking about" and avoid heckling idiots such as myself. I'm just ranting to pass the time.  Of course, you might wish to revise the strong opinions once in a while - fairly recently some of them suffered a major setback.  Couple of years of opinions went right down the drain.  :lol:

""One of the most challenging things in our business can be becoming cognizant of how much one yet doesn't know."" 

Otherwise, avoid writing stuff like this ( post 47 ) :

"Which business? If I remember correctly, you said that you were once in the factory violin business. Are you now in the recording or recording sales business? Or do your professions shift around for convenience, depending on what you are posting about?"

The decent thing to do is ASK people first via a PM or email. Your implication is not nice and you've done that with other people, too. More than once. 

Why don't you make a list with people you think they don't really know what they're talking about or are puppeting or are posturing and then we all know how we stand , discuss openly, figure out how we can do things better and improve our communication and our image etc etc etc . Good idea, isn't it ?

a list of those that do know what they are talking about would be a LOT shorter!

I'm just ranting to pass the time.

It seems we are done discussing tail gut length in any coherent way. There seemed to be some good stuff, I appreciate the discussion relating to the topic. , I got a few things to try.....

maybe it's the moon phase ...for what I'm about to do ...please excuse me ...

Carl...please really? ...Really ?...If we examine "good communication" and "Image" In any detail, What do we find? You Chastise David for not PM'ing you ...in public? You make statements in public condemning anonymous posters ...yet protect your own ? you claim to not be inputting on making subjects yet post in the pegbox all the time on many different structural threads ...like this one. I believe you are functioning on the premise of "if it can be done it shall be" ... or to put it another way " might makes right" And while it's true this is a public forum and you do have the right and obviously the ability to exercise that.... IF I were to choose between you and Dave ..to be "voted off the island" from the board....well ....I will publicly give Dave my endorsement to stay,that in however many years of being here ...(wherever the hell "here" is)... that while Dave may be a royal pain in the ass for "experts" and "idiot's" around the world ...the ...mostly questions...challenge to authority that he brings to the dialogue is always ,without exception, to my eye, sincere, in the attempt to seek the unbiased truth.

David gave me time ...and didn't have to ...not much... but some , and in this world that is extremely valuable ..He is also one of the worlds most highly vetted makers of our day ... he would not have to say anything here to be in any way successful. Without Dave ( and others with the same go get em attitude) here calling BS shots and challenging "experts " ... where would we be? a mamby pambe existence in forum land .

The phrase "it takes all kinds" comes to mind. But Carl ...speaking as someone who is focused primarily on sorting out good from bad in a effort to learn the nuance of making ...you sure do add a lot of noise, and I for one would appreciate it if you could back down from time to time and let things go a bit quicker so we can sus the meat and move on...a personal favor? I was enjoying the thread....

We tried some years ago to have a like button that would rate different posters on the quality of their posts ...that got abused, and removed.

I don't think any of us could possibly create a "list" that could or should be used to qualify any posters here. Or that We can simply "forget about it and move on " with out some humility and reconciliation . It's not how people work. sorry for the long post ...yes I have been drinking ....

"clicks "Post" and reaches for a glass of freshly brewed lager from the cellar""....

It seems we are done discussing tail gut length in any coherent way. There seemed to be some good stuff, I appreciate the discussion relating to the topic. , I got a few things to try.....

maybe it's the moon phase ...for what I'm about to do ...please excuse me ...

Carl...please really? ...Really ?...If we examine "good communication" and "Image" In any detail, What do we find? You Chastise David for not PM'ing you ...in public? You make statements in public condemning anonymous posters ...yet protect your own ? you claim to not be inputting on making subjects yet post in the pegbox all the time on many different structural threads ...like this one. I believe you are functioning on the premise of "if it can be done it shall be" ... or to put it another way " might makes right" And while it's true this is a public forum and you do have the right and obviously the ability to exercise that.... IF I were to choose between you and Dave ..to be "voted off the island" from the board....well ....I will publicly give Dave my endorsement to stay,that in however many years of being here ...(wherever the hell "here" is)... that while Dave may be a royal pain in the ass for "experts" and "idiot's" around the world ...the ...mostly questions...challenge to authority that he brings to the dialogue is always ,without exception, to my eye, sincere, in the attempt to seek the unbiased truth.

David gave me time ...and didn't have to ...not much... but some , and in this world that is extremely valuable ..He is also one of the worlds most highly vetted makers of our day ... he would not have to say anything here to be in any way successful. Without Dave ( and others with the same go get em attitude) here calling BS shots and challenging "experts " ... where would we be? a mamby pambe existence in forum land .

The phrase "it takes all kinds" comes to mind. But Carl ...speaking as someone who is focused primarily on sorting out good from bad in a effort to learn the nuance of making ...you sure do add a lot of noise, and I for one would appreciate it if you could back down from time to time and let things go a bit quicker so we can sus the meat and move on...a personal favor? I was enjoying the thread....

We tried some years ago to have a like button that would rate different posters on the quality of their posts ...that got abused, and removed.

I don't think any of us could possibly create a "list" that could or should be used to qualify any posters here. Or that We can simply "forget about it and move on " with out some humility and reconciliation . It's not how people work. sorry for the long post ...yes I have been drinking ....

"clicks "Post" and reaches for a glass of freshly brewed lager from the cellar""....

Don't drink and post on MN. Respect yourself.

But Carl ...speaking as someone who is focused primarily on sorting out good from bad in a effort to learn the nuance of making ...you sure do add a lot of noise, and I for one would appreciate it if you could back down from time to time and let things go a bit quicker so we can sus the meat and move on...a personal favor? I was enjoying the thread....

Sure. No problem. Next time you see me going off track, draw my attention. Should my "noise" bother you, I'll delete the posts. You don't want me on a thread, just say so and I'm out. I really don't want to inconvenience you in any shape or form.

All good ?