Sign in to follow this  
not telling

Catalin's bench

Nice! :) Did you have a hand in the antiquing?

How does it play?

Do we stop calling him WW now?

Me? Encouragement...he does not normally antique. So I said, look at this thing. You have to antique it. It's meant to be a late del Gesu "inspired" violin (obviously). I said, with those f holes and that crazy-pants scroll straight-varnished would look wrong. He did agree with me, as you can see by the 'wear' on the scroll, that was obviously his idea from the first. ;)

It does sound great. He got a violin professor to play it, so of course it did. It is set up right, arched right, just looks...wild. It actually is fun to look at too, once you get past the shock of the f holes. Mo.

You all can call him whatever you want.

*brag post, warning*

I am searching for a good old American bandsaw, no luck yet, but meanwhile, who needs bandsaws when you're awesome? My husband bugs me often about how I must get to finding a great bandsaw for near nothing, to be sure, but he has never let the lack of one stop him from making this cut and etc. Had to share, because...yeah.post-59554-0-89598000-1451408215_thumb.jpgpost-59554-0-95080600-1451408498_thumb.jpg

Is it? I am pretty much rolfing my husband nightly when he has to rip ribs and that sort of thing. I think a band saw would be fun. He wants an old Atlas or Delta, and I can't find it fast enough. I think it's great that he can do this, yeah, but it's not optimal that he must. I am curious who else works this way. I know Melvin Goldsmith worked without a bandsaw for years, for example...and guess what he collects now? Band saws. Because he must have realized how terrible life was without one and he's making up for lost time. I know my husband was pretty inspired by a photo of Roger Hargrave making a similar cut with a similar saw (and he was well over 60 when the photo was taken, as I remind my husband when he bitches about the pain). Anyone else currently do all ripping manually?

You do rolfing also,,,

nobody knows what that even is.

I have a portable table and do a bit of body work,

it makes me sick all the unnecessary shoulder surgery that is preformed these days.

Humans are just money in the bank.

Thanks to Addie for the deer skin!

Here is a new tool for a new year. The other punch gauge he used before this was great too, but this was a worthy project (imo): I told him to make another that looks exactly like Strad's, for kicks. So he did. I think it looks even better. Other opinions welcome. :)

post-59554-0-89758800-1451635599_thumb.jpgpost-59554-0-21732500-1451636061_thumb.jpg

It's pretty obvious/likely that the half circles were for easy clamping, but the square cutout on the bottom isn't so obvious. Any ideas on what that was for? Curious, isn't it...?

Anyway, HNY to all.

It's pretty obvious/likely that the half circles were for easy clamping, but the square cutout on the bottom isn't so obvious. Any ideas on what that was for? Curious, isn't it...?

IMO it serves to frame a wooden cross bar as a base, for use it without clamping at the bench.

Is it? I am pretty much rolfing my husband nightly when he has to rip ribs and that sort of thing. I think a band saw would be fun. He wants an old Atlas or Delta, and I can't find it fast enough. I think it's great that he can do this, yeah, but it's not optimal that he must. I am curious who else works this way. I know Melvin Goldsmith worked without a bandsaw for years, for example...and guess what he collects now? Band saws. Because he must have realized how terrible life was without one and he's making up for lost time. I know my husband was pretty inspired by a photo of Roger Hargrave making a similar cut with a similar saw (and he was well over 60 when the photo was taken, as I remind my husband when he bitches about the pain). Anyone else currently do all ripping manually?

I do everything by hand, except drilling holes, and turning pegs.  I do cut the F terminal holes and the button hole by hand with an egg beater.  I like Japanese saws.  I just got a huge one for Christmas.  Should make sawing back wedges easy.  I cut my last set of ribs with a cute 5" ryobi that has a very thin kerf, and tracks true.  Doesn't take that long, and saves a lot of wood.  I cut out necks with a straight Japanese saw too, and use a Iwasaki file to bring it to the line.  I rough the plate down quite a bit while they are square and easy to clamp.  Then I saw them out with an aluminum fret saw that I made a little block for, so I can use regular coping saw blades with it. It will cut out a violin or viola, and the f holes too; but I wish I could turn the blade, so you wouldn't have to start over from the other side.

Funny thing, I'm just doing my 4 hour scroll over because I found that the one on the instrument I was making from the photos of it was a replacement.  Gofrillers REAL scrolls are nicer.  Found a nice piece of cherry in the wood bin at work for it.  

Thanks to Addie for the deer skin!

Here is a new tool for a new year. The other punch gauge he used before this was great too, but this was a worthy project (imo): I told him to make another that looks exactly like Strad's, for kicks. So he did. I think it looks even better. Other opinions welcome. :)

attachicon.gif20160101_015340.jpgattachicon.gif20160101_015451.jpg

Anyway, HNY to all.

Hey, no fair making it nicer than mine! :o

The Stradivari work cradle has a similar gap underneath. It goes all the way across the width of the cradle.

Huh.post-59554-0-33783900-1453788880_thumb.jpg

Addie, he was honored that you say that, because your tools always look so good. He took several days on this one, working on it here and there, babying it to the extreme, way more than anyone probably should. It's really pretty, but this is why we're broke all the time. I would doubt Stradivari paid that close attention to the task, if he's even the one who made the tool. He probably threw some cutoffs at Omobono and told him to have the hinged frame ready by lunch.

My fault totally, building fires under his butt to make his tools look like this.

Some of the Stradivari tools are literally whittled out of a stick, while others are masterpieces of hand work.  I think they reflect what was going on in his shop and his life at the time they were made.

Can't you just hear a grumpy old Strad saying "Oh, so you broke the handle.  You've got five minutes to make a new one, or no supper."  And some other time saying to a new apprentice "take your time.  Understand the tools, and the wood.  Envision what you are trying to make.  Make a thing a beauty. Or no supper."

:lol: 

Indeed. I can definitely see that!

This one just had the varnish reworked ... it's his first violin. It won for tone at the 2014 Art of Sound (along with others) but has just been sitting around as his personal violin. I was all, "There's no dinner. Make this prettier."

post-59554-0-18180300-1453993802_thumb.jpg

post-59554-0-68775300-1453993831_thumb.jpg

post-59554-0-43663100-1453993855_thumb.jpg

post-59554-0-53734800-1453993892_thumb.jpg

post-59554-0-04918100-1453993965_thumb.jpg

Indeed. I can definitely see that!

This one just had the varnish reworked ... it's his first violin. It won for tone at the 2014 Art of Sound (along with others) but has just been sitting around as his personal violin. I was all, "There's no dinner. Make this prettier."

I like those F-holes. What model is it?

That one is a personal model, using Peter of Mantua ffs. Two of the judges did not like those ffs at all. Had never seen them and didn't like, even though one thought they were stylish and etc. Sometimes judges like to see what they're used to seeing.

Lesson: for a competition maybe a DG or Strad is usually better...but he didn't know.

Anyway, thanks for that, I'll tell him!