Season's Greetings...challenge!

I am a firm believer in the benefits of world peace. :wub:

And at this time - of this particular year, despite global unrest, I would like to revisit the concept.

So...to start off (what I hope is) a little fun/humour and some warm fuzzies...a 2015 Season's Greetings challenge!

1.  Doesn't matter how well you play - play something SEASONAL on your violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar or other stringed instrument (notice I have spared you the bassoon! :rolleyes: )
2.  Keep it short...aim for not more than 1 minute.
3.  Let us know:

a ) what song/tune it is
b ) what kind of instrument you are playing on (ie.  Mendini, Strad)
c ) any other information you feel you would like to share and is relevant

No poking fun at those of us who aren't Bell or Mutter (or talented 5 year olds)!!! 

My contribution:

Ancien air de chasse 1862 (AKA He is Born...)
2012 Benchmade "Plowden" del Gesu violin copy
Thomastik Vision Titanium Solo strings (that I don't like on it, but am using up - need to blame my sound quality on something! ^_^)
Played in first position with open strings because I didn't feel like working out the best shifts
Recorded with Samsung Note 3 cellphone

https://soundcloud.com/user-887082918/he-is-born/s-YF9bt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire your sentiments, and thanks for your offering. Lovely and heartfelt.

I don't know how to record and send something, but I want to offer my moral support.  Not that moral support does much more than make the moral supporter feel moral.  And since I'm aware of that, I don't feel too very moral.   :)

Thank you for replying!  :wub:

I was starting to think this idea and a lead balloon had a great deal in common... <_<

I didn't know how to upload a sound file either...but e-mailing myself the recording from my cell phone and then uploading to Soundcloud seems to work! :)

Soundcloud offers a bit of free space.  If you get into "it"  you can buy a subscription.  They also have a lot of material (some very good) to listen to.

Rue, that's very nice idea for the community. I'll try to record sth, it's another motivation to practice more  :P

By the way have you thought about changing your strings? 

Vision Titanium Solo always seems to be a bit artificial to my ear. Have you already tried other strings on your gear?

Reards

A very nice recording Rue especially considering it was done with your phone. The piece and how you performed if had a baroque air to my ears. Well done, thanks for sharing and the start of a fresh and new exciting thread. I have always wanted to make a few Christmas tracks with other local instrumentalists and see if I could get a few of the radio stations that soley play Christmas tunes to play it once in a while.

See, in the old days, I could turn a knob and some long Scotch-tapey stuff would start spinning around a couple of sort of spools and one spool would empty as the other spool got full. Then I'd take the full one and reverse it back, and then take it and put it in a box and mail it to someone.**  Now, back then my grandparents were as confused about what I just wrote as I am about what you wrote of "files" and "Soundcloud free space."   :)

Isn't it amazing what times we live in.  I know it's past Thanksgiving, but I am appreciative that if I took the initiative I could play in a manner predictive, and give everyone a performance quite prescriptive.  And I realize I'm giving excuses deceptive...  

Well, you get the idea. I'm hoping you are receptive.   :)  Anyway, I'm looking forward to Stephen and whoever else gets in the spirit.

**Yep, I sent the wrong spool. 

Seasonal probably can be translated—these days—as something that makes us feel warm, cheery, and full of good will toward others because of what made us feel that way when we were children.  Maybe we could expand this thread to YEAR 'ROUND, so that if someone who doesn't feel that way at this time of year, but feels that way in May or August, can post something. A rousing rendition of "Take me out the the Ballgame!" for example.  (Best played on a viola, of course.)   :)

See, in the old days, I could turn a knob and some long Scotch-tapey stuff would start spinning around a couple of sort of spools and one spool would empty as the other spool got full. Then I'd take the full one and reverse it back, and then take it and put it in a box and mail it to someone.**  Now, back then my grandparents were as confused about what I just wrote as I am about what you wrote of "files" and "Soundcloud free space."   :)

I remember recording things on these wheel to wheel contraptions and then cutting the tapes diagonally and piecing them together with scotch tape. Then playing it back. 

Don't worry about mistakes!  Perfection is for deities and studio recordings!  ^_^

We want 'real' music! :)

Very nice playing Rue !!! I will also try to record some small simple thing - this was a very good idea. Everybody contribute and does not matter how well you play. It is for fun and for good spirit.

Thank you! Fun and good spirit is exactly what the goal is!

It does sound beautiful, very authentically fiddle-like...

Thank you too, and also for contributing to the cause! :D

Ancien air de chasse 1862 (AKA He is Born...)

2012 Benchmade "Plowden" del Gesu violin copy

Thomastik Vision Titanium Solo strings (that I don't like on it, but am using up - need to blame my sound quality on something! ^_^)

Played in first position with open strings because I didn't feel like working out the best shifts

Recorded with Samsung Note 3 cellphone

https://soundcloud.com/user-887082918/he-is-born/s-YF9bt

It is EXCELLENT !!! I'm very proud of you !  :wub:  There's nothing wrong with the sound - you have a bit of stage fright , I can hear that. Very nice violin !  Nice strings, too. 

Thank you! :wub:

I have a lot of stage fright.  <_<  You should have seen me at recital on Sunday...involuntary tremolo. :angry:   And yesterday at orchesta rehearsal...I didn't realize just how prominent the 2nd bassoon part of Gonoud's  Funeral March of a Marionette actually was.   When I did...I froze. :ph34r:

It's not too hard for me to play...so I just have to work on confidence...got 6 weeks left before we perform... :rolleyes:

Don't worry about mistakes!  Perfection is for deities and studio recordings!  ^_^

Oh it will be far from perfect - I haven't played for 8 years and when I stopped as a student I had run into major problems.  But this was a misunderstanding of the music.  It led me on an interesting quest.  I found the piece on-line by googling "easy Christmas music" and came to this: Lo, How A Rose, which I know as Es ist ein' Reis entsprungen

http://www.violinonline.com/images/christmas/rose_full.pdf

It was on an old cassette of Christmas songs that I had years ago, and I used to sing it all the time.  Some of the note values are different than I remembered.  I looked it up and learned that it first appeared around the 16th century.  The original notation was in the earlier system before there were bar lines and looks like this:

http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP67213-Praetorius-Es_ist_ein_Ros_(1609).pdf

Instead of bar lines you have a little vertical line which divides up the phrases: it was before time signatures.

I also found this version which has some different note values.  I think that this is what I heard and memorized those years ago.  However, almost every performance I listened to (string quartet, voice, trombone) had the above version.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:127_Kerstlied_II,_Es_ist_ein_Reis_entsprungen,_pagina_184_%26_128_Kerstlied_III_Nu_syt_wellecome,_pagina_185.jpg

When I played it "wrong" yesterday I had slipped into what I was used to for one spot so it was a weird hybrid.

Ok, my try.  I'm returning after 8 years absence, and relearning basic things - I'm not really playing yet.  Thanks for the push to try this. :)

Piece:  Lo How a Rose - Es ist ein' Reis (Ros') entsprungen
instrument: violin - the "workshop violin" I ended up with during the dilemma in the pegbox a short while ago, finished by the luthier
level:  re-beginner
recording: microphone hanging from a stand (sorta awkward)
https://soundcloud.com/usernewtothis/lo-how-a-rose/s-zZmgX

(sound file edited)