Sign in to follow this  
Omobono

Dvorak Piano Qrt Op.87 Movt. IV viola part

Just out of curiosity........

Anyone performed the Op. 87 Dvorak Piano Quartet viola part?

In the final movement there are a couple of awkward moments 

1a_zpsvnyyt30w.png

1b_zpsxr390igz.png

both fingerings have their difficulties. any thoughts?

and later

Capture_zpslhq4yrfh.png

at tempo the cross-string tremelo is just a blur for me without removing the slur.

Again, any thoughts?

The second extract above reminded me of the opening bars of the first viola in the Brahms #2 String Sextet 

Capture_zpstu9tqel0.png

In this passage the string crossing works easily because the tempo is slower

and somehow it is seems easier to do on the lower strings

where there appears to be a greater differentiation between the planes of the two strings than the upper strings.

That make any sense?

I've performed this piece. Dvorak can be tricky ("vertical" is a description I've heard), and the keys don't always help. 

I prefer the first fingering for the passage at letter F. However, I don't see the point of shifting into half position (?) in the 6th-7th bars. I'd stay in third.  The second version (w/second position and a skip-a-string crossing) makes absolutely no sense to me. 

The letter M string crossing is actually sets of six (not trem) and can be done if the tempo is not red-hot (I know it's fast-- basically in two). Don't panic, and don't exaggerate the bow angle on the crossing, as you would on the Brahms. (I would, however, break the bowing into half-bar sets--tough to get the fz otherwise). 

It took me a long time to realize the strings are closer than I think--I'm not bridging the Grand Canyon!

I think Brahms stole that G-F# crossing from Mozart, who uses the same notation and effect in the viola part of one of his last quartets.

First fingering for me too.  The string crossing thing in the 2nd exerpt is not that bad.  Dvorak is so often awkward and does nto fit the violinist/violist hand well.  My viola has slender neck, more like a violin's, so getting the 1st finger on two strings at one time is not that hard. 

I agree with Jane, but the only thing I'd add is that I think I do like the shift to half position for the arpeggio, at least, air fingering it here without a viola in my hand.  Feels a bit easier, letting you use an open D string, and play the B-D-C#-A# sequence all on the A string.

Thanks for the various thoughts.

Jane is correct, of course that the string-crossing is not a regular 'tremelo'. (What is the correct term?)

However the passage from bars 7-11 after M is managed,

harmonically it probably makes little difference whether it sounds more like slurred double-stopping or string-crossing.

Whatever about the use of 2nd or 3rd position on the repeated figure and how to finger arriving there....

I think I prefer 2nd position for a little more comfort and clear articulation.

As does LvB, I find the arpeggio phrase (bar 6 of E) in a lower position preferable for the extra resonance it seems to give

- this passage on the viola is quite exposed and important in the score so it needs clarity and confidence.

You're right again Jane that Dvorak does throw a lot of remote keys signatures at string players!

I did a quick search for the notation about which we were speaking.

The best I can find is a "two-note tremelo"

So for strings could we say a 'slurred two-note tremelo"?

324px-Tremolo_notation_two_notes.svg.png

"Tremolo is the rapid repetition of one note, or a rapid alternation between two or more notes.

It is indicated by strokes through the stems of the notes."

https://musescore.org/en/handbook/tremolo

post-86-0-19976200-1448952574_thumb.png

What you are showing here, with three bars (unless a very slow subdivided tempo) is functionally a trill between the two idicated notes.  What  is shown in the excerpt is an 8th note passage.

one definition: "The rapid alternation of two tones either a whole or a half tone apart."

Is a trill always strictly between two immediately adjacent notes?

Is yodelling essentially trilling in 6th?

post-86-0-43973200-1449118293_thumb.png