Sign in to follow this  
Rue

Aesthetics; what's important and what's banal?

Hey Carl, did you notice in the video you posted that the 1st and 2nd violins were intermingled?   Never seen that done before.

More anecdotes!  Somebody stop me, for God's sake!   :)

But I remember coming home from a tour after 4 months of smiling, mild gyrations, nodding approvals of the skills of various soloists' riffs—and OF COURSE gazing admiringly at the STAR— and continual care not to pick MY nose or scratch any questionable places.  I was geared for ***SHOWBIZ***  Primed for it.  Ready for it; almost craving it.  (Perish the thought, now that I have taken the 12 step program).

Well, I got hired to play our local Philharmonic's 4th of July concert, and there I was sitting behind this little nebbish of a man (a very nice fellow, but a real toadstool).  Here I was swaying and smiling and nodding to the music, and generally getting into the festivities by personal extra-musical efforts.  Well, the toadstool wasn't the only one who looked like a concrete traffic post.  I looked around me and thought I was in a mortuary.  I realized that even the celebration of the 4th hadn't inspired our local crew to get with the new ways.  I settled back and got my head right real quick.  Fortunately, I assumed room temperature  before getting a talking-to.  I was once again just another toadstool among the many.  

Hey Carl, did you notice in the video you posted that the 1st and 2nd violins were intermingled?   Never seen that done before.

Nope. Flew right over my head. :) I am sure by now, you figured out the reason.

I must be dense.  1) don't understand why you posted that video on a discussion of concert attire, nor do i know why the conductor intermngled the 1st and 2nds, though with them across the orchestra from each other, it kind of makes sense to do that.  Perhaps because they way the orchestra is shoehorned on the stage, the First and Seconds would not be able to see each other, so for ensemble reasons perhaps?

I was thinking about bow ties...and have decided they are rather silly - for violin players at least...you can't keep them straight at the best of times it seems.

I don't mind formal attire...but it has to make sense....

Regular concert attire doesn't have to be super formal either...just polished (well fitting and unobtrusive).

When I started in orchestras, the standard dress was called "Full dress"  and was known as "white tie and tails."  As here:

http://www.mytuxedocatalog.com/catalog/rental-tuxedos-and-suits/C998-Black-Peak-Full-Dress-Tailcoat

Note, that anyone who was really civilized back then would have immediately spotted that the white vest is improperly sticking out under the black jacket, to he sides.  (Unless style has changed.)

For morning and afternoon concerts, we wore a dark grey morning coat, with a grey vest and dark grey striped pants.  And a grey striped long tie.  This dress was my favorite.  Very elegant.  I miss those days.

Most like the 7th picture, but a normally sized tie:

Morning Coat

Dare I ask when you started out in orchestra?  :ph34r:

...p.s. And yes...styles have changed somewhat....they have a tendency to do that... ^_^

Dare I ask when you started out in orchestra?  :ph34r:

...p.s. And yes...styles have changed somewhat....they have a tendency to do that... ^_^

Well, let's put it this way: By daring to ask I assume you are not planning to run for public office.   :)

It was about 1963.

Certainly styles change, but I was referring to the very limited subject of letting a vest stick out under the jacket.  For years so many people let it that probably no one notices.  But when I bought my first outfits, there were still very sophisticated clothing stores almost everywhere where a wizened old salesman—with a tape measure around his neck—would fill you in on little subtleties. 

Can I play?  I don't see any bare arms.   :)  

Someone might consider a violist 'armed and dangerous'.  But is having a viola 'bare'ing arms?

Someone might consider a violist 'armed and dangerous'.  But is having a viola 'bare'ing arms?

Nope, thankfully, those weapons of mass distraction aren't covered by the 2nd. Amendment. [Considers bothering her Congresscreature about passing an "assault viola ban"]  :lol:

Ah!1963! Well...I was around...don't remember the rules pertaining to tuxedo wear though...

I do remember a rude awakening a couple of years later though. ..I had a beautiful yellow dress my mother told me was for a princess. Therefore..in my mind...I had to be a princess...right?

A neighboring child was quick to burst my happy royal bubble by showing me pictures of the British Royal family and smugly telling me I was NOT a princess.

Still stings...

Ah!1963! Well...I was around...don't remember the rules pertaining to tuxedo wear though...

I do remember a rude awakening a couple of years later though. ..I had a beautiful yellow dress my mother told me was for a princess. Therefore..in my mind...I had to be a princess...right?

A neighboring child was quick to burst my happy royal bubble by showing me pictures of the British Royal family and smugly telling me I was NOT a princess.

Still stings...

Yeah, but consider what a flock of black sheep you'd be calling "cousin" and the need to constantly flush the brush for paparazzi. B)  

LOL...she saved me from myself... ^_^

If I had had violin lessons...I might have looked like this...except I remember the dress being a lot longer...

...and in my mind I probably imagined I looked more like the 2nd picture... :rolleyes:

post-48723-0-67002400-1447795680_thumb.jpg

post-48723-0-84156200-1447795724_thumb.jpg