Sign in to follow this  
Alma

Best mid-price LIGHT violin case?

I am getting a new violin, so I am starting to look at cases. I am surprised to see cases in the SHAR catalog that go in to the thousands. For my student violin, I have a Courier case, but it weighs (for me, anyway) a ton.

Can any one recommend a case that is very sturdy & protective, and also LIGHT?

Thank you for helping me sort this out!!!!!

It's hard to recommend a case not knowing your likes and dislikes.

I have seen more and more shaped carbon fibre style cases out there.  They are sturdy and light, but may not have enough space inside for paraphernalia if you like your paraphernalia and often don't have a music pocket on the outside.

I prefer a standard rectangular shaped cases for those reasons.  I don't have a lot of paraphernalia...but I do have some.  And I like a large enough music pocket so that if I don't have a ton of music to take with me...I can stick it in there and not have to worry about hauling around a separate bag.

I just noticed a different sport style that may be handy...if you want extra pockets for stuff...(although I'd imagine a water bottle would add weight! ^_^ )

http://www.gostrings.com/newgespvicah.html

BAM contoured cases are very popular with professionals (3.5 lbs).  $600 or so.

Musafia just came out with a new model called Lievissima (4.8 lbs).  $700 or so.  Includes music pouch.

Shar H-Series Lightweight (5 lbs) is lightweight, and at $150, you can probably afford to check it out.

There's also a case from Poland, the Artonus Elipe (4.5 lbs), $500.

Your Courier case weighs... 8.5 lbs?

My violin case is an American Case Company from 1996.  It's still in amazing shape.  Great case.  But no lighter than yours.

Thank you for your replies, Rue and Stephen. I like a waterproof oblong case; an outside music pocket is nice but not necessary. I  wonder what material is strongest, as I do not want to trade off protection for optimum lightness. 

I think it also, in part, depends on how you travel with your violin. If you travel daily by subway and are jostling through crowds and doorways, etc., you might want something sturdier than if you travel once a week or so by car.

Let us know what you end up with...and what sold you on that particular make and model!

Just took delivery of a Musilia P1 case at 2kg (4.4lbs). First impression is of  a very sturdy case, very well finished, with a minimalist interior (no plush velvet but violin fully suspended). At $575 a really nice piece of work. I'm trying to think of it at under $600 and not doing the conversion into Canadian currency because it feels much more reasonable. We also have two Fibreglass Bobelock cases in the house which are well made and very sturdy but very Heavy compared to the Composite case

Quinn Violins have a good case selection on their website which makes comparing all the major offerings pretty straightforward.

After reading more about the superior strength of cases made of wood laminate, I decided to get one, as protection is the primary goal. Ended up choosing a Negri Milano with a Cushy cover for the cold Wisconsin winters. It was a very good Black Friday deal from the big Michigan purveyor. Won't a violin be happier in a wood case?  :)

I think it also, in part, depends on how you travel with your violin. If you travel daily by subway and are jostling through crowds and doorways, etc., you might want something sturdier than if you travel once a week or so by car.Let us know what you end up with...and what sold you on that particular make and model!

If I had to trvel by subway, Id get a $100 violin and a $600 case. :)

After reading more about the superior strength of cases made of wood laminate, I decided to get one, as protection is the primary goal. Ended up choosing a Negri Milano with a Cushy cover for the cold Wisconsin winters. It was a very good Black Friday deal from the big Michigan purveyor. Won't a violin be happier in a wood case?   :)

Congrats! Now...for the most important question: What colour did you pick for the interior?  ^_^

If I had to trvel by subway, Id get a $100 violin and a $600 case. :)

Well...that's one option I suppose!

Since we drive - everywhere (we live on an acreage)...my needs are very different from someone living in a large city and travelling by subway.  I have travelled enough by subway now (while on vacations and meetings) to have a real appreciation for what a pain that is... ^_^.  Even the odd day that I am hauling my violin with me to shops and events I find myself rethinking the case.  Oblong is great for travel by car...but otherwise I'd be getting something more travel/hauling/backpacking friendly.

And the bassoon is another story entirely. <_<  I thought hauling it around in its heavy wooden case was going to give me a heart attack...I found a lightweight case I can manage...but it offers no protection.  I'm paranoid with it.

Just took delivery of a Musilia P1 case at 2kg (4.4lbs). First impression is of  a very sturdy case, very well finished, with a minimalist interior (no plush velvet but violin fully suspended). At $575 a really nice piece of work. I'm trying to think of it at under $600 and not doing the conversion into Canadian currency because it feels much more reasonable. We also have two Fibreglass Bobelock cases in the house which are well made and very sturdy but very Heavy compared to the Composite case

I was looking at those too...on those days I am out and about...but I can't justify another case for those rare days...

Let us know how you like it! Pros, cons...I'm very interested!  :)

The exchange rate is horrible.  I caved and ordered some sheet music yesterday...*ouch* :angry:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Rue" data-cid="704952" data-time="1448808964">Rue, on 29 Nov 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:<p>Congrats! Now...for the most important question: What colour did you pick for the interior?  ^_^  Well...that's one option I suppose! Since we drive - everywhere (we live on an acreage)...my needs are very different from someone living in a large city and travelling by subway.  I have travelled enough by subway now (while on vacations and meetings) to have a real appreciation for what a pain that is... ^_^.  Even the odd day that I am hauling my violin with me to shops and events I find myself rethinking the case.  Oblong is great for travel by car...but otherwise I'd be getting something more travel/hauling/backpacking friendly. And the bassoon is another story entirely.We live on acreage too. Dont need a case. Dont go anywhere. Sort of like this ....post-76389-0-14949900-1448809468_thumb.png

Red is nice!  :)

I hope you post some pics of your new violin...and its new case...when you have moment.

Mention any pros, cons, likes or dislikes...

I find those kind of posts really useful...

Well I have a 17 year old BAM cello case and all the black foam inside has turned to pea soup; that's why I deliberately avoided BAM.

The Negri case arrived yesterday. I am SO disappointed; it looks (and sounds, when tapped) exactly like my Courier, which cost $600 less.  Sigh. Will give a closer look to the hinges & fittings on the Negri, as I'm not morally opposed to returning it if I don't find something about it that is better than the Courier!

Sorry to hear it's not quite what you expected.  :(  But yes, maybe it's less about the superficial look, and more about the quality of the materials.  Let us know if you see a $600 difference there! :)

Well I have a 17 year old BAM cello case and all the black foam inside has turned to pea soup; that's why I deliberately avoided BAM.

The Negri case arrived yesterday. I am SO disappointed; it looks (and sounds, when tapped) exactly like my Courier, which cost $600 less.  Sigh. Will give a closer look to the hinges & fittings on the Negri, as I'm not morally opposed to returning it if I don't find something about it that is better than the Courier!

1) Well, 17 years really is seventeen years.  Expensive though it was, I think you got a lot of useful life out of it, especially considering the extreme temperatures you experience in a log cabin.

2) Call your 'Michigan supplier' and complain in strong terms. My experience is they have excellent customer service.  I've worked with them since the 60's, and any problems I've had have always been resolved in my favor.

A little late, but for shear strength to weight, nothing beats Carbon Fiber.  However, it does have to be manufactured properly to take full advantage of the potential of the material, properly designed with quality resins and layed up without voids.  Wood laminate can be very strong, but again it must be manfactured very well with high quality materials - wood AND the glue used to bond it all together, and for the same stregth it will be quite a bit heavier than Carbon Fiber, or in other words, to get the same quality protection in a wood case, it will be heavy, no way around it. One plus for wood though is the way it fails, it doesn't lose all it's strength the second it breaks so even after being damaged it can still offer some protection, and minor damage is not a big deal.  But if yor carbon fiber case takes an exceptionally hard blow you really need to replace it to assure the adequate protection is maintained because you can't always see the damage, it might be in matrix (the glue that binds it all together) or an internal delamination between layers of the carbon fabric.  However, it is carbon fiber shells that keep race car drivers alive hitting walls at 200+ miles an hour.

I have an experience with Artonus case. Stephen Fine mentioned in post #5 their Elipe model.

Well we have 11 years old violin Artonus case that was the previous model before Elipe. After 11 years of using it almost everyday I must say everything works fine. Black remained black, deep blue is still deep blue, bow holders, zippers are OK. Outside case material isn't rubbed, and inside is still pleasant to touch. I must say for that price the quality and durability of this case is impressive.

Regards!

I know I'm a broken record on this, But for expensive cases I like Musafia.  They are well made and designed, and offer a huge number of special features on special order.  Dimitri Musafia is very easy to communicate with and goes the extra mile to help out even the likes of me.  I do not think that his products are in any overpriced.  If you special order a case from Italy shipping is included! 

In less expensive cases I like the plywood cases from Bobelock, they are a good value and better than you would expect at that price point.

DLB