Maestronet Forums

J. A. Baader Mittenwald 1912 Worth It For A Beginner?

gamerchic

Hello Everyone,

I am an adult beginner looking for a violin. I came across a Koniglich Bayer J. A. Baader Mittenwald 1912 and I wanted to know if this is a good instrument to invest in?

I looked up information on Mittenwald to understand what that meant, but honestly it was difficult for that history to translate into whether this particular violin would be good. It will need some work and there is some sort of damage on the back (a groove maybe) that I'm trying to get more information on.

I know people sometimes see dates on a violin and think it automatically means something when it may not. I want an instrument with good tone that is pleasurable to play. I wanted to upload photos of the violin but apparently I need more coffee before I can figure out how to do that here. Opinions? Good instrument? Yes, no? If yes, how much would be reasonable to pay for it with a case and bow included?

Thank you very much for your help.​

Edit: I'm going to see if I can at least share the link to the album that has pics of the violin: http://s458.photobucket.com/user/tai0316_twilight/Violins/story

Edited by gamerchic

Bader were one of the so called “Verleger” (literally translated “publisher”) Companies in Mittenwald, that made many instruments in a wide range of qualities, which leaves you question sounding a bit like “how long is a piece of string?” You can read up on Mittenwald violins at the Website of the museum in Mittenwald http://www.geigenbaumuseum-mittenwald.de/index.php?id=119

PS: you can't post Pictures until you have 10 Posts, you can post a link to youre photo Album though

Baader was a large and long lived firm in Mittenwald with many workman and differing levels of quality. This violin could be quite decent or not so much. Pictures would be helpful but showing it to a knowledgable violin maker would give you both a sense of the quality level and the condition. There should be many suitable instruments for your needs so best to shop around at reputable dealers.

Yes, keep looking. There are tons of instruments in this price range that would be great for a beginner. The problem is that many have some killer defect. A dimension problem (usually involving the neck/neck set) or a condition problem can make them useless and not worth fixing, and are not obvious to a beginner. Check out violin shops and pay a premium for one that is playable.

Bader were one of the so called “Verleger” (literally translated “publisher”) Companies in Mittenwald, that made many instruments in a wide range of qualities, which leaves you question sounding a bit like “how long is a piece of string?” You can read up on Mittenwald violins at the Website of the museum in Mittenwald http://www.geigenbaumuseum-mittenwald.de/index.php?id=119

PS: you can't post Pictures until you have 10 Posts, you can post a link to youre photo Album though

Baader was a large and long lived firm in Mittenwald with many workman and differing levels of quality. This violin could be quite decent or not so much. Pictures would be helpful but showing it to a knowledgable violin maker would give you both a sense of the quality level and the condition. There should be many suitable instruments for your needs so best to shop around at reputable dealers.

I should have read further before my previous post. It looks like this instrument has a nasty crack in the back which is a serious defect and as there are many violins of similar quality out there perhaps you should keep looking.

Yes, keep looking. There are tons of instruments in this price range that would be great for a beginner. The problem is that many have some killer defect. A dimension problem (usually involving the neck/neck set) or a condition problem can make them useless and not worth fixing, and are not obvious to a beginner. Check out violin shops and pay a premium for one that is playable.

Thank you all very much for your comments and advice.

I was very glad that the defect on the back was pointed out as being a crack as I wasn't completely sure but suspected. The seller said it looked like it had been repaired previously and that the repair held but I agree with all of you that I should keep looking.

And thank you for the link to the museum :)

I appreciate your help very much!

Was there ever a master Baader, or is it just a fictional name created for the company?

Baader was more a dynasty of violin makers. Johann Anton Baader (born 1778) founded the “Verleger” firm in 1817 with Simon Kriner, which lasted over 116 years. One of the beter ones was Johann Evangelist Baader http://www.geigenbaumuseum-mittenwald.de/index.php?id=181

PS: Deans #8

No it was an indigenous Mittenwald firm, comparable to for instance Neuner & Hornsteiner

Thanks Jacob. The Baader violins found in the US tend to be low-mid grade commercial mail-order instruments:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Rt8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA109&lpg=RA1-PA109&dq=baader+violin+wurlitzer&source=bl&ots=biiwQ6dKAN&sig=vH_JDZkYuV7X_hQU8hJbrkF0cM4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAGoVChMIoYWUqZHryAIVVPVjCh2Q2QF0#v=onepage&q=baader%20violin%20wurlitzer&f=false

Its hard for us to determine if such instruments came from a real firm with that name, or if the name is "trade name" which to me would mean a licensed name that was attached to instruments not necessarily from a single source. (I think Juzek would be a good example of a trade name). Its all confusing to me.

Dear Deans,

Thanks, I see your point. Here Baader were one of the straightforward Mittenwald “Verleger” violin firms. What American importers stuck into what (since Wurlitzer is a Markneukirchen-Saxon tribe) is rather out of sight to me here (thankfully). My ex-Boss, Zunterer had got his hands on the Baader ledger last time I met him, so I hope/expect to learn more when he has worked through all of that

• 2 years later...
On 10/30/2015 at 6:09 PM, jacobsaunders said:

Dear Deans,

Thanks, I see your point. Here Baader were one of the straightforward Mittenwald “Verleger” violin firms. What American importers stuck into what (since Wurlitzer is a Markneukirchen-Saxon tribe) is rather out of sight to me here (thankfully). My ex-Boss, Zunterer had got his hands on the Baader ledger last time I met him, so I hope/expect to learn more when he has worked through all of that

Jacob, did anything ever come of that?  I'd be interested.  :)