Sign in to follow this  
Evgeny

Music as hobbyism

Hello everyone!

As a teenager I learned to play chromatic accordion and piano. Now it's been over 10 years since I stopped practicing. In the mean time I've lived an essential chunk of life -- graduating, getting a job, getting married. But I don't feel quite satisfied with my life. May be music, playing it might provide the sort of recreation I need..

I would appreciate any advice regarding re-starting playing music as a hobbyist. I think I would need an USB piano keyboard (it's essential that I could use headphones and portability is also an issue) and some books to practice. It's quite possible that I might need to quickly re-learn some things. The real question is, would you recommend any modern music that would not be prohibitively hard for an amateur to learn to play? In my teen years I learned to play some classical music, and I'm not sure I'd like to practice all the same stuff again.

Thanks in advance,

Evgeny.

Evgeny,

You may very well find a lot of "modern music" won't appeal to you.  The music shelves groan with beautiful music composed for piano.  If you played as a teenager, you haven't even broken the surface.  Get a teacher experienced with adults, and discuss your concerns and desires.

Best of luck, and have fun!

Larry

I have studied piano from 6 to 12 as a lazy child but with some -- not professional -- results. Then I stopped and I had a life much like yours. But work became harder these last years so some 4 years ago I decided I needed something to totally abduct me for at least one hour a day, but I also needed portability. So I bought a silent violin. 

I will never play for anyone but myself -- and my teacher -- but Carnegie Hall was not my target.

Playing music is a wonder in itself in any case. The only problem is that you must be aware of what you are doing and you must always recall your initial goal: that will help you in developing skills and in managing frustrations. 

Ah: I also re-started my piano and I understood that memory is amazing: it was not destroyed by the 40 (forty) years of silence; playing the pieces of my early youth is somehow moving (you know how elders are...), and you understand that neurones and synapsis have a multiple way of functioning, in youth and in later years.

Just get a midi keyboard, attach it to your laptop and off you go. You can get one for less than 100 bucks. I'm kind of in a similar boat too. This year my goal is to regularly practice more music. It's good for the soul. I got a violin which I'll be learning this year. Yup!