Maestronet Forums

ebay violin

KevD

Hi everyone

I was looking for opinions on this violin. I suppose it is a copy but I thought I had read somewhere that Cesare also sold shop violins. Is this true? and could the violin be one of those?

Any opinions on its make style quality etc,.. would be great. I am trying to learn. Link is below:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/old-fine-violin-labeled-C-CANDI-1935-geige-violon-violine-violino-viola-fiddle-/141782138647?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=iKvXQSQpYdMS1kjz3pwTyr1uqj4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

There are obviously several eBay frauds based in Hannover (but not only there..) consistently offering fake 'Italian' and 'French' violins. The photos of the labels are usually not included in the auction descriptions, probably for the sellers to stay on the safe side.. I can imagine that the labels are actually still "wet" while the violins are being dispatched.

The following German sellers consistently supply eBay with such counterfeits on a large scale (with their auctions showing very similar characteristics, by the way): buyoldviolin, hawaa14, nicetanz, kauferb, onsanik, melodietaube, and probably several others.

This is a true mass production of 'antique Italian' violins :wacko:

It's obviously the same person (or group of persons) behind all that identities, producing their own home-made "Gutachten" as you can see here

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/333288-what-to-do-about-this/

I don't understand how somebody can call this a "copy", while it's a ridiculous fake only.

It's obviously the same person (or group of persons) behind all that identities,

That's actually what I tried (no so hard) to imply..

I don't understand how somebody can call this a "copy", while it's a ridiculous fake only.

I understand that a perfumed poo smells nicer to some people than a pure one ;)

The real mystery for me is their relatively good feedback... Do they pay the buyers for it? Okay, some of the feedback may be from the related 'sock puppet' accounts, but not the majority..

Martin the violinist wrote:

"The real mystery for me is their relatively good feedback... Do they pay the buyers for it? Okay, some of the feedback may be from the related 'sock puppet' accounts, but not the majority."

.The only thing I can come up with is that the bidders/buyers actually think they got the real thing. It does seem like that group of sellers aren't doing as well as they used to, as the prices aren't as high as a few years back. Maybe MN is making a dent in the fraudulently labeled violin trade, or that might just be wishful thinking.

I think that some of these violins are bought by people who don't get them checked out and who leave good feedback before making their sad discovery. But probably around half are returned - we keep seeing the same violins for sale, sometimes with new labels. The seller makes it a condition of the return that good feedback be left first.

If you see lots of rather curt feedback ("all OK", "honest seller", "thanks for a smooth transaction"), that suggests something of this sort ...