I am trying to identify this old violin

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you're seeing is a single piece of wood that's been cracked, poorly repaired, probably sanded, and then varnished over.

The rib seems to have been refinished too. I think oval shape you see is just an area of wood that has absorbed oil from the hand, or something similar, and become more  transparent.

I'm afraid the fiddle is so badly damaged, as much by the 'restoration' as anything else, that commercially it is a lost cause, and I would advise that no money should be spent trying to improve it.

Something more about the front plate of the violin. In the picture you can see the exact combining elements of wood probably by the same luthier (pattern of the wood is the same as  original). Do you  known this building technique, in this way? It looks as if someone cut and paste the wood in place. 

Here is a picture:

http://files.tinypic...yuusoelg1bv.gif

I am not entirely sure (not to say " I haven't got a clue") what you mean by that?

I am not entirely sure (not to say " I haven't got a clue") what you mean by that?

I feel that he is suggesting that it was built, and later vandalized repaired, by the same hand.  Perhaps for the cracks, which might accord with a violin made by one of the less prestigious London shops (IMHO), as Peter seems to mean, but the (nasty!) refinishing is modern.  :)

Clue problem is to take of picture to shown the very tiny differences on wood. Mutch more better to seeing this of a human eye, that areas are not visible in the photo. This violin is very strong, because has such a hard wood structure. I did not see this before. This instrument is realy different. Too many patterns of wood, everywhere. I'm afraid to write something more, because I'm afraid most of all of your criticism (of all - I am young women without experience in over the case. I do not speek in english, my knowledge about writing in english is very poor)

There is nothing unusual about the way your violin constructed.

It has a belly (soundboard) of what appears to be spruce which is normal, and ribs and back of maple, which is also usual.

What you show on your image is one piece of wood, which has some cracks on it.

I still don't understand what you mean by "patterns everywhere" and don't see anything out of the ordinary in it's making or structure.

What's your first language?

I have a question about soundpost patch, is made of spruce wood? How is sticks it in accordance with the pattern of front plate of violin (I mean the internal direction of wood grain)? The same? 

Archiver,

Hmmm, sound post patch?

Is there a photo of a sound post patch? - perhaps I missed that.

Sorry to say that you're showing mostly poor or worthless photos here, and asking, sort of ridiculous questions, about this fiddle...

Do you want to know anything significant about this fiddle, other than what has already been answered, if so, exactly what else is it that you want to know?

And... slight discolorations in the wood aren't that important or significant - the 'over varnish' is not very even. 

Poorly done.

They don't represent "clever" or 'combined elements' of wood used during the build. 

Sorry that I have nothing of importance, or of further significance to add.

I think that's about it.

Archiver,

Hmmm, sound post patch?

Is there a photo of a sound post patch? - perhaps I missed that.

Sorry to say that you're showing mostly poor or worthless photos here, and asking, sort of ridiculous questions, about this fiddle...

Do you want to know anything significant about this fiddle, other than what has already been answered, if so, exactly what else is it that you want to know?

And... slight discolorations in the wood aren't that important or significant - the 'over varnish' is not very even. 

Poorly done.

They don't represent "clever" or 'combined elements' of wood used during the build. 

Sorry that I have nothing of importance, or of further significance to add.

I think that's about it.

I'm sorry to took your time...I can not properly ask the question in this topic. Forgive me, I will not ask for anything... Greetings and thanks for all answers.

I'm sorry to took your time...I can not properly ask the question in this topic. Forgive me, I will not ask for anything... Greetings and thanks for all answers.

Hey...

- you can take our time any time. At least you can take my time, ask whatever you want. No need to apologize.

You simply need to either ask something, that can be answered, or not.

• 4 weeks later...