Sign in to follow this  
D. Piolle

14th Cremona violin-making competition results

Hello all,

For those interested :  this is the first link I found about the results of the last "Triennale".

http://www.welfarenetwork.it/a-cremona-xiv-edizione-del-concorso-triennale-di-liuteria-antonio-stradivari-20150924/

Gold medal    : Charles Coquet - for a viola

Second place : Viateur Roy       - violin

Third place     : Davide Sora      - violin

Congrats to the winners ,

and the others who won prizes of all kind.

Have fun. ;)

Hello all,

For those interested :  this is the first link I found about the results of the last "Triennale".

http://www.welfarenetwork.it/a-cremona-xiv-edizione-del-concorso-triennale-di-liuteria-antonio-stradivari-20150924/

Gold medal    : Charles Coquet - for a viola

Second place : Viateur Roy       - violin

Third place     : Davide Sora      - violin

Congrats to the winners ,

and the others who won prizes of all kind.

Have fun. ;)

Congrats Davide !

(They don't seem to have a car culture over there. )

Very good Davide, especially the tone recognition.  I'm afraid to say the wrong thing but this should be harmless-  Did you expect to win it all or is where you placed this time acceptable for you?

Many thanks to everyone for the congratulations  :)

I'm especially happy for the special prize for "the violin with the best acoustic quality", the opinion of violin makers worries me less...... :) :)

Davide

Very good Davide, especially the tone recognition.  I'm afraid to say the wrong thing but this should be harmless-  Did you expect to win it all or is where you placed this time acceptable for you?

Thanks for noticing the tone recognition.
I have never particular expectations when I participate in a competition, let's say that getting into the final is a bit my goal.
In my opinion the seven violins admitted to the final acoustic test (open to the public) were all very good violins.

Aim to win the first prize I consider it in any case a bit aleatory and unpredictable. :rolleyes:

There are darn good violin makers around......

Beautiful, clean, crisp work! Congratulations.

Would you care to comment on your bridge cutting? The kidneys seem more pointed than the traditional US/UK "egg" shape.

Thanks in advance.

A gorgeous looking instrument Davide! Congratulations! Are you able to comment on your varnish?

DGSR ☺

Many thanks. :)

The varnish of this violin is made with raw shellac, a bit of mastic and naturally oxidized  linseed oil (linoxin), which is basically my standard varnish.

Essentially an alcohol solvent varnish, from the point of view of the application technique.

The color is given in part from the resins and in part from madder lakes fixed on alum and iron.

In these last years I am experimenting also an oil/colophony varnish (thanks to FredN for having provided interesting insights and also to all other popularizers on the subject on this forum), that I particularly like especially for completely different application technique (with fingers and almost no solvent).

But the former is still "my" varnish, because it works very well and and I know quite well how it behaves in the years, although it is a little laborious to apply to achieve good results in terms of color uniformity and transparency.

Beautiful, clean, crisp work! Congratulations.

Would you care to comment on your bridge cutting? The kidneys seem more pointed than the traditional US/UK "egg" shape.

Thanks in advance.

Many thanks :)

In fact I prefer more elliptical kidneys and oriented in the diagonal sense, mostly for aesthetic reasons but also because I believe that more effectively lighten the top area of the bridge under  G and E strings, helping to give a more open tone and fast response.

The pointed shape  at the waist (if you're referring to this) is not my standard practice, but it derives from the "fine tuning" for this violin in particular.

Many thanks to everyone for the congratulations  :)

I'm especially happy for the special prize for "the violin with the best acoustic quality", the opinion of violin makers worries me less...... :) :)

Davide

Indeed !

I noticed this special prize, which is very interesting, I agree.

By the way, it should not be a surprise, when we know a bit about your work,

but I find it ' s a very neat work on this particular violin.

Congrats Davide.

Many thanks. :)

...and I know quite well how it behaves in the years, although it is a little laborious to apply to achieve good results in terms of color uniformity and transparency.

The uniformity is superb as is the transparency. Beautiful work on all accounts Davide. Again, my congratulations to you and all the entrants in the competition.

DGSR ☺

Many thanks :)

In fact I prefer more elliptical kidneys and oriented in the diagonal sense, mostly for aesthetic reasons but also because I believe that more effectively lighten the top area of the bridge under  G and E strings, helping to give a more open tone and fast response.

The pointed shape  at the waist (if you're referring to this) is not my standard practice, but it derives from the "fine tuning" for this violin in particular.

Molte grazie, Davide!  :)

Davide,

Congratulations.

That's a beautiful, straight varnish, great color and transparency.  It's another example of a straight varnish and crisp edges producing a great looking violin, proving new making can look new and still be stunning.  Maybe that's the only way to achieve truly stunning.

Was it a requirement of the competition to do a straight varnishing and no antiquing?  If so, good for them.