Maestronet Forums

Any Reputable Ebay Violin Sellers???

tara81662l

There are some more people here to tell you about, but obviously nobody's brave enough? :P

It's a ca. 100 years old simple trade violin from the Vogtland/Schönbach region, decorated with the so-called "screwdriver antiquing method".

Just what you can get from the reputable Ebay sellers usually ;) .

It would be hard to get back a fraction of $ 2,5 K if you'll try to resell it some future day.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that unless it is a true rare violin (which we are not going to get for $2500) we plan to hang on to it and not sell it. We are much more interested in the sound and to insure it is of a quality that it holds up to some orchestra playing.

My daughter has this crazy habit that we currently indulge of hanging on to violins. They are kind of like teddy bears for a 12 year old.

Can't fault anyone for that! :wub:

But seriously...I can't see a rush to sell anything (unless you really need the money) as far as student level violins go.  And even once you settle on a 'good'/forever violin...it is really handy to have a 'spare'.  The spare (IMO) should be good enough to play when required (if the good violin in the shop for any reason) but not so good that you are scared to take it to an outdoor (or otherwise potentially perilous) event.

But I just like pulling out a different violin (even of lesser quality) from time to time to play on...I think it's useful (each plays/sounds different and you learn to adjust)...

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2015 at 0:17 PM, victordriver said:

TARA81662I,

The answer to your question is inevitably yes but the trouble is finding them. I know a few in the UK but I think you are in the USA. Using EBAY carries a big risk and many believe its worth taking based on their own values and assessment of risk versus reward. Shop based violin dealers invariably sell at a big mark up but you can try the instrument and have some comeback if it all goes wrong in some way.

I wouldn't buy anything off EBay without getting the chance to play it beforehand - many sellers offer this opportunity although I accept the USA is a big place. If you buy and then try to return you will incur costs and waste a lot of time. Not sure if you are buying for sound quality or investment? Sound quality sometimes comes cheap, tatty and battered! If you want it to hold its value then that's an entirely different game with more risks! 

Can't the teacher provide any contacts in local orchestras?  

Hello, im a beginner to the violin game, and im london based. As you can imagine the violin stores here are quite high priced. I dont mind paying that amount once i master the violin. But currently im in search for a beginners violin. You mentioned some trustable ebay sellers here in the UK. Would you mind telling me their names, or even pasting links?

Thank you in advance 

• 3 years later...
13 hours ago, impzzz said:

Marsupilami_4 on ebay is a well reputated seller. I only buy my instruments from them. Excellent price value on most of what they sell.

Hope this helps,

I think it's not the best place to put this kind of surreptitious advertising. Before you try to fool somebody you'd better check if he's fool enough.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:44 PM, germain said:

....Marsupilami............

That username has me imagining a cartoon of a kangaroo wearing a beret and negligently sucking on a Gauloise cigarette while loitering on a streetcorner with violin scrolls sticking out of her pouch.......  :ph34r:  :lol: ...........but nothing related to the European comics character at all.  :)

6 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

That username has me imagining a cartoon of a kangaroo wearing a beret and negligently sucking on a Gauloise cigarette while loitering on a streetcorner with violin scrolls sticking out of her pouch.......  :ph34r:  :lol: 

OMG you nailed it. Couldn't ask for a better visualization... and I envision Martin as the "Hunter" with a two barrel shotgun desperately trying to blow the marsupial to bits and pieces.