Sign in to follow this  
Advocatus Diaboli

Damian's dominion.....

Everyone else probably knows your secret identity except me. But I have to ask, are you the maker? Is this brand new? My opinion counts for little, but I think the antiquing is beautifully done, or else it's genuinely old. Is the bumpiness on the scroll and the character in the fitting of the saddle characteristic of the instrument you copied, or, again, is it genuinely old. Really beautiful, in either case.

Oddly, I think only two or three people on here would be able to figure out who I am...  This is brand new, apart from loaning it to a player for about a month.  Completely original model, not a copy. 

If you're looking for the 1700's look, I thiink you've found it.  I like it.  I think the 2nd turns of the scroll go too far in but the scroll design you have can be your I.D. for future reference if you make the rest the same way.  

If you think Clearsky's word doesn't mean much, keep in mind my word means less than his.  I would of put more coloring on the back and more black outlining on the scroll-pegbox chamfers but not much more.  I hope someone can enjoy that one for future playing purposes.     

I am normally not a fan of an antique look in new work, but your violin looks amazing. I am not qualified to comment on how "realistic" the antiquing would be rated when held up to genuinely old violins, but as an artistic "patina", I really like it.

I don't know your secret identity either, but I know you don't reside on Mars (but if you do, there are a few vehicles there I'd like you to repair).

I don't have any harsh criticisms, or any real criticisms, for that matter... just a few things I noticed.  There wasn't any scroll graft, so that was a clue that it was new.  The other clue was the lightness of the wood color, under the varnish.  The work is really fine, though, and I like the combination of antiquing, slightly rough carving, and the interesting model.

To my eyes, reminds me of the K GdGs - Kemp, Kreisler, Kochanski.

The whitish wood also caught my eye.  Where the varnish is very worn, the wood can be very greyish-green.

Then again, who cares what my eyes tell me (I see green everywhere).

Oddly, I think only two or three people on here would be able to figure out who I am...  

I believe we'll survive...  

I know ! You're David Burgess pretending to be one of the Voeller Bros. :)  It's not working....

Since it seems to be the fashion, here are some photos of one of my latest for you blokes.  Harsh criticism welcome!

attachicon.gifBack.jpgattachicon.gifTop.jpgattachicon.gifScroll, bass.jpgattachicon.gifScroll, front.jpgattachicon.gifScroll, back.jpgattachicon.gifBack angle.jpgattachicon.gifTop arch from back.jpg

Regarding the tailpiece fret string break angle in the last photo - did you adjust the fret heights any or is that the way the tailpiece was made before strings were put on?

Very nice indeed.  Your antiquing is very well done to  my eye.  (old unimportant eyes) It certainly has a GDG vibe for me.  

How about a viola :-)

Perhaps you are using Martian soil as part of your process?

dlb

Regarding the tailpiece fret string break angle in the last photo - did you adjust the fret heights any or is that the way the tailpiece was made before strings were put on?

I did some adjustment to it.  Just ordered the generic fittings from Connolly and refinished them! 

Very nice indeed.  Your antiquing is very well done to  my eye.  (old unimportant eyes) It certainly has a GDG vibe for me.  

How about a viola :-)

Perhaps you are using Martian soil as part of your process?

dlb

Ooh, the secret's out!  (Maybe I should've posted this one in the 'Secrets' thread...

Dwight, here's a view of the semi-finished box. A friend's dog chewed up the scroll a few days ago (.............. -.- ), so I'm carving a new one at the moment. Hoping to have the woodwork done next week!

Weather way up here's decent. A bit on the hot side. Every bit and again I find what looks like water from a distance, but turns out not to be. Great way to stay nice and dehydrated!! Then again, testing everything's super easy in the 0% humidity!

post-78557-0-22319900-1441268795_thumb.jpg

What could you not understand- it's plain, simple English.  For starters, the belly distress look and the lack of color on the ribs and back.  I mean really Advocatus, does the violin look old to you?  It does to me,  About the scroll- the first thing I noticed was the second turn.  There's nothing wrong with it, it just caught my eye as being different from what I usually notice. 

If MN had an award for newcomer maker of the year you'd be in the running for a top spot.  Please note that some may not like your finish/varnishing- I wouldn't be one of those guys, I think it looks good.

Age wise, are you still in your 50's or have you made it to your 60's, years of age speaking?

I did use a slightly different geometry than was common in Cremona for the scroll, so I see your point.

Thanks for the compliment! I doubt I deserve any such award, however.

As far as age goes, I like to tell people I'm 6, going on 317!

You mean you had a genuine canine distressed/antiqued scroll and you didn't use it ! :-)

Sorry I have not answered until now.  The instrument and you decoration look great.  Very much like the ex-Joachim viola in the National Music Museum.

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/Violas/DaSalo/DaSaloViola3368/3368ViolaDaSalo.html

(probably already sent this link, sorry old age)

dlb

Very nice work to be sure.