• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linux is a nightmare when it comes to these kind of problems. It seems to me you are not operating a Linux cluster. Then you would know what real pain is. :) Like re-compiling the kernel twice a day.

If you're compiling a kernel during any time other than development, you're doing it wrong.  furrfu!

I can't actually remember the last time I compiled a kernel and I am so darn happy that I don't have to.

I never thought I'd see the say when MN devolved into a tech discussion  :rolleyes:   I'll go back to my ad-hoc collection of "nix boxen now, lest they feel unloved.

I'll be trying out Win10 at some point (meaning not this month) and see if it does anything useful for me then.

CT: Is rolling back to your previous install an option?  I've heard that it should be a relatively simple process to do so.

I upgraded to Windows 10. And then promptly went back to 7. No DVD player, invasive software, mandatory updates, and worst of all, no soliatire NO SOLITAIRE!!!! It's all part of the Microsoft "Freemium" model.

Hmmm, was going back to 7 difficult? Did you get Win 7 from the internet - online, or from a disc? (it's on a disc?) I can't help being an idiot with things like this... I used to be a fairly well endowed (snicker) computer geek - but most of that high tech stuff went out the window with part of my frontal lobe...

Hey, thanks all for the answers and the support. I'm thinking that if I can get Win. 7 back, it should work like it did before. At least I hope it (my magic black box) doesn't get tangled even further...

Grrrr.

CT

It is less painfull to install the missing device driver for your card reader. I can't help via this forum though, have to be on site. Try Google the name and model of your device and Windows 10

Thanks Peter,

I just checked my discs, and I do not have a windows 7 disc - which I would still have if one had come with my computer - since I save everything... I did make a set of recovery discs, but do not know if they would work. I suppose they would, but then I'd loose everything in the memory, right? Whitch is not acceptable.

I will try what you're suggesting here, as it does seem to be the simplest solution.

Perhaps since I agreed to Windows 10 - I may simply have to learn its various 'idiosyncranisities...' (<yeah, like I can spell that one right!)

Thanks again

Craig T

If you're compiling a kernel during any time other than development, you're doing it wrong.  furrfu!

I can't actually remember the last time I compiled a kernel and I am so darn happy that I don't have to.

But can you remember the last time you were running parallel FEA solvers on it ? :)  Otherwise, the email , web and d/base servers never seem to give problems. Tough as nails, cheap as chips. 

I have been using windows since Windows 1.1 in 1985. I changed to windows 3.0 and then to 98 and changed again to XP I think I had 2000 for a while. Then along came Vista and finally windows 7. All came with problems, some were massive. The hot line guy in Ireland told me to wait and upgrade from vista as soon as possible. I had only had it three months. My new HP laptop 'Envy' is very nice to work with, but it keeps freezing and giving me a blue screen that takes several minutes to cure. It has windows 8 which I hated and I now run windows 7 on it which works a little better. My problem is that I have four computers none of which are linked, but all of which are running programs for different reasons. Also, I just do not want to learn yet another new system. My kids all use Apple and that is definitely my next move. I am just so angry that it has taken me so long to make up my mind.

If these computer systems were cars they would have all been recalled years ago and that might have stopped them releasing before the product was properly finished. If my fiddles had these kinds of problems when they were delivered, I would be out of business. These systems are not (or should not) be simply for computer nurds. They need to be for normal people. Windows 10 -don't get me started.  

My friend in Denver has Apple computer and phone, and she's at the Apple store every other week, getting something or other fixed. She always has problems with OS upgrades, and, for example, her computer keeps randomly changing fonts and colors on her in the middle of her writing (Apple hasn't been able to correct that in two years).  Her Iphone isn't nearly as good as my Galaxy phone, either.  

My phone and (Windows 7) computer just keep going and going, without any problems. Another friend here in town works for Apple, and she's a big fan, but I can't stand the stuff. Too cutesy, too expensive, and just not all that reliable. I'm not a great fan of Micrososoft, either; for me it's just the lesser of two evils. At least 7 and XP have been pretty stable.

My 1st computer was an apple, at that time (1997/8) it was considered a good machine. I believe the problems with apple begin when they decide to switch from its previous Motorola processor to Intel, with that the system code must be write the different way.

My actual system is Linux, witch I leave it running continuously (no shut down), just reboot from time to time when things start getting slow, it could take 30 or 40 days non stop with no problem. This was unthinkable when I was using Win 98 (1999/2000). It never run for more than 24hours (usually less than that) without freezing .

My 1st computer was an apple, at that time (1997/8) it was considered a good machine. I believe the problems with apple begin when they decide to switch from its previous Motorola processor to Intel, with that the system code must be write the different way.

My actual system is Linux, witch I leave it running continuously (no shut down), just reboot from time to time when things start getting slow, it could take 30 or 40 days non stop with no problem. This was unthinkable when I was using Win 98 (1999/2000). It never run for more than 24hours (usually less than that) without freezing .

I forget how long it is, but there is a certain span of time (something like a month), after which Windows has traditionally locked up if run continuously without a reboot.  When maintaining servers, I do backups and reboot every day around 0300 local (also a good time for allowing Windows Updates).  

98 was still a 3.1 variant, and very twitchy (the last of those was Millennium Edition).  Everything since has been more and more complicated versions of NT, which, at core (P.I.), is a pseudo-Unix concocted to satisfy DOD contract security requirements.

Well, just for conversations sake, I'm still trying to get this windows 10 to download my 8gb chip from my camera - which it refuses to recognize.

My windows 7 never had a problem in this direction - but I'm not sure I can get win 7 back, without buying it; which I'm simply not going to do...

Probably this is simply a glitch in the system. I don't know nor does it seem to be easily remedied...

Computers - what fun huh?

I don't really mind, because I have at the back of my mind, that simply not having to use them may be the correct answer. As has already been suggested by - . But in reality I will always be connected to the computer and to the internet. I remember the "old days", when, if you wanted a photo you had to get a roll of film, and take the picture, and then wait for it to be developed, and then if you liked the print you liked it. If you didn't - oh well.

So I suppose I'll just keep screwing with this computer until I get it to work...

Again, my thanks to all for your help with this problem

windows 10 - sheesh!

I've used Apple for three years now.  Got tired of the blue screen of death.  No problems at all.  I am the Sgt. Schultz of computers.  I no nothing at all about them.  To me the Apple seems no different.  Much easier switch than trying to use a Texas Instrument calculator after using Casio for years.  Casio is SOOOO much easier.

Most people have IBM clones ~90 % (with Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1) PCs instead of Macs ~10%, so most programmers aren’t bothering to write Mac programs anymore. So if you have a Mac, you’re stuck running old programs written long ago, in versions less pleasant than new Windows versions. As a result, the Mac has actually become harder to use than a Windows computer!

The big exception to Mac’s downfall is the graphics-art community. Years ago, before Windows became stable, the Mac became the standard for folks in the graphics-arts community (such as ad agencies, newspapers, magazines, artists, and companies running printing presses). They still use Macs.

Some universities standardized on Macs because Apple Computer Inc. gave those universities a discount. When the discounts expired, many of those universities shifted to buying Windows computers instead.

Apple OS was never designed to be backwards compatible.  I can still run my old MS-DOS compiled programs in a virtual DOSBOX on my Win7 PC (not that I want to).  I have no intention in upgrading my OS until I absolutely have to. 

A lot of programs, such as graphic art programs like 3DS Max and Maya and Z Brush, which are industry standards mind you, simply aren't optimized for Macs. Also, the hardware on those suckers is seriously lacking on all fronts. The only thing that they have going for them is really nice packaging and presentation. Plus a great marketing team.

I have absolutely no use for anything Apple.

However, Microsoft really pisses me off when they keep trying to re-invent the wheel with each subsequent release of Windows. When I spend the time to learn the ins and outs of XP for example, why start renaming  functions and relocating them elsewhere in Windows 7 or 10? What was wrong with the start menu they way it was, and why make the file explorer more difficult to navigate within? Why not focus on the real problems and leave the things that work fine alone?

It seems there are many people on the Microsoft development teams shuffling things around for no particular reason other than a means of  justifying their employment.

Most people have IBM clones ~90 % (with Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1) PCs instead of Macs ~10%, so most programmers aren’t bothering to write Mac programs anymore. So if you have a Mac, you’re stuck running old programs written long ago, in versions less pleasant than new Windows versions. As a result, the Mac has actually become harder to use than a Windows computer!

The big exception to Mac’s downfall is the graphics-art community. Years ago, before Windows became stable, the Mac became the standard for folks in the graphics-arts community (such as ad agencies, newspapers, magazines, artists, and companies running printing presses). They still use Macs.

Some universities standardized on Macs because Apple Computer Inc. gave those universities a discount. When the discounts expired, many of those universities shifted to buying Windows computers instead.

Apple OS was never designed to be backwards compatible.  I can still run my old MS-DOS compiled programs in a virtual DOSBOX on my Win7 PC (not that I want to).  I have no intention in upgrading my OS until I absolutely have to. 

There's another problem with "Macs", which absolutely flabbergasts me to this day.  In the beginning, there were Apples, and they worked right out of the box, including both a version of Basic and a machine language programming tool ( the  "Monitor") on firmware at no extra cost.  There were also schematics with the thing, and documentation mapping the entire memory stack (including "soft switches", subroutine entries. etc.) was available.  The entire system was open and transparent.  You didn't need anything else to start writing software or designing peripherals.

The "Mac" was a total reversal of all of this, and has remained so ever since. What flabbergasts me is how the Apple leadership could be so greedy and shortsighted as to go proprietary after having created a nearly perfect computer development paradigm to begin with.  It was not very long at all before Intel and IBM jumped into the breach opened by this bad decision, producing machines made to open standards which have since spread around the globe.  You can get clones and parts of them from thousands of suppliers at reasonable prices, either building your own, purchasing refurbs, or buying new as it may suit you. And there's Linux, SCO, and such if you dislike Windows.  No rational reason to prefer Apple over PC clone products remains.

There's another problem with "Macs", which absolutely flabbergasts me to this day.  In the beginning, there were Apples, and they worked right out of the box, including both a version of Basic and a machine language programming tool ( the  "Monitor") on firmware at no extra cost.  There were also schematics with the thing, and documentation mapping the entire memory stack (including "soft switches", subroutine entries. etc.) was available.  The entire system was open and transparent.  You didn't need anything else to start writing software or designing peripherals.

The "Mac" was a total reversal of all of this, and has remained so ever since. What flabbergasts me is how the Apple leadership could be so greedy and shortsighted as to go proprietary after having created a nearly perfect computer development paradigm to begin with.  It was not very long at all before Intel and IBM jumped into the breach opened by this bad decision, producing machines made to open standards which have since spread around the globe.  You can get clones and parts of them from thousands of suppliers at reasonable prices, either building your own, purchasing refurbs, or buying new as it may suit you. And there's Linux, SCO, and such if you dislike Windows.  No rational reason to prefer Apple over PC clone products remains.

I would agree with you. However, if this is such a bad business model, why are they doing so well? 

I would agree with you. However, if this is such a bad business model, why are they doing so well? 

Mike, excuse me, but how is a circa 10% market share "doing so well", when continuing on their original path and doing what IBM eventually did might have ensured them a much larger share practically forever, instead of hanging on by their nails in a niche, so far as their personal computer business goes?

It was not very long at all before Intel and IBM jumped into the breach opened by this bad decision, producing machines made to open standards which have since spread around the globe.  You can get clones and parts of them from thousands of suppliers at reasonable prices, either building your own, purchasing refurbs, or buying new as it may suit you.

Not true.  Actually, IBM started it, and they didn't produce an "open" computer.  They just lost control of it when others copied it.  Even today, it's mostly pretty darned proprietary.

Mike, excuse me, but how is a circa 10% market share "doing so well", when continuing on their original path and doing what IBM eventually did might have ensured them 95% practically forever, instead of hanging on by their nails in a niche, so far as their personal computer business goes?

Huh?  IBM is completely out of the personal computer business.  And Apple has long since surpassed Microsoft in profits and market value.