Sign in to follow this  
TimM

Who is maker E. W. ?

I recently acquired a lovely looking and sounding violin whose only identification is "E. W. #14" inside.  Is there any place where I might be able to find out who EW is?  Thanks!

TimM

Look in the standard violin makers' directories (Henley, Jalovec, Wenberg, etc.) for makers with last names beginning with W and first names beginning with E.  This will give you an incomplete list of possibilities.  If you can discern the approximate age and national origin of your violin, you may be able to cross some names off your list.

But also consider the possibility that EW is not the maker's initials.  It could also be, for example, the initials of a violin rental business or a music store.

Edward Withers

Violin maker

(maker: 1808 – 1962)

Founder of the Withers violin shop in London.

I found this maker on Cozio.  It was a nice looking violin.

dlb

Seems like kind of a long life though.........  Clean living!

Alone in Vienna, there are probably tens of thousands of people with the initials “EW”. Therefore, should it even be the maker of the violin (other possibilities- owner, dealer, repairer, pawnbroker) one should try and narrow down the area and epoch where this instrument might have been made first. Without seeing the instrument, this is impossible. Just naming any old person from anywhere with the initials “EW” arbitrarily, is to put it politely, unhelpful