Sign in to follow this  
Craig Tucker

Who's actually building something?

The last time I was approached by a biker...I was out walking my mini-dachshund.

Apparently he loved minis too...

Historically, the dachshund is a very tough dog...

post-48723-0-09056500-1439299264_thumb.jpg

Back in the day, I was a Triumph Bonneville man.

One that I put back together myself. My friend had taken it apart to repaint/refinish it - but had gotten himself involved in Harleys had become a member, and had given up everything else, including his bike collection,  so I got the bike for 500 duckets, or somolians...

I was so light weight (back then)  that I used to have to wear an extra heavy boot on that foot just to be able to kick the thing over.

ahh - those were the days...

I had a Triumph Daytona, then a Triumph Bonneville, then a BSA. Bruce Carlson was into Nortons.

The Harleys have gotten too big for most people to kick, so Harley doesn't even offer the option of kick-start anymore. Their last production kick-start was with the 74 cubic inch engines. The current stock engines are 103 to 110 cubic inches (1800 cc).

Bruce Carlson was into Nortons.

Hah!

Nortons...? not to be indelicate... but with Triumphs (Bonneville's in particular) around, who'd have EVER chosen a Norton?

- man, what was that guy thinking?

Ach...!

Bruce Carlson was into Nortons.

????????

Honeymooners_PDVD_012.jpg

I did some work on a BSA...  :P

9454402_orig.jpg?1379964817

These were made for paratroopers and commandos in WWII. 

Craig,thanx for the warm welcome! Actually I'm not new on here but when I switched over to Windows 10,all of my previous posts were deleted so I had to start over. My previous postings were under "Frederick Dale"

Here's a tailpiece a made recently. Of course it's on a fiddle a made a couple of years ago. I've also got a new one on the bench waiting to get purfling.

Best,

Mike Spencer

post-6164-0-65370600-1439310835_thumb.jpg

I remember having to; not look too hard, at any group of bikers, if I was out on the street, and got approached... 

What strange days those days were. Bikers were a different breed back then. Or so it seemed.

Bikers today, atleast here, are mostly business men, with friends that are layers or dentists riding brand new loaded down Harleys... At least in Roswell that's what we have here today.

Back in the day, in Southern California, they, bikers, were truly a different level of society. and you didn't want to mess with them unless they either took a liking to you for any reason (which is another story for another time), or, if you were seriously interested in becoming a member. Which, I never was.

Yes, back in my day, they were a better group to stay away from.

Because the Japanese re-invented the motorcycle and its image.  (You meet the nicest people on a Honda).  It was brilliant.  I am sorry to say I am not on David's side of opinions.  My Goldwing does most of what he says,  except wipe my butt.  And the ST1300 is not half-bad.  Not bikes for those who like to fix and tinker with things.

Also,  I expect that an electric starter is more compact than a mechanical kick-starter with its extra gears etc. Plus I am lazy,  and that electric motor is great for the reverse gear on the Goldwing.

Here's a tailpiece a made recently. Of course it's on a fiddle a made a couple of years ago. I've also got a new one on the bench waiting to get purfling.

Best,

Mike Spencer

You made the tailpiece?  It looks like a Wittner.  Or did you make the chinrest?  Which is really nice! :D

Because the Japanese re-invented the motorcycle and its image.  (You meet the nicest people on a Honda).  It was brilliant.  I am sorry to say I am not on David's side of opinions.  My Goldwing does most of what he says,  except wipe my butt.  And the ST1300 is not half-bad.  Not bikes for those who like to fix and tinker with things.

Also,  I expect that an electric starter is more compact than a mechanical kick-starter with its extra gears etc. Plus I am lazy,  and that electric motor is great for the reverse gear on the Goldwing.

You kids and your toys....Sheesh,  come back and talk when you decide to grow up, and want to ride a REAL bike.

OR;

Yeah, you've got a point, my best friend rode a shiny new Honda 750 back then, and I could only sort of trail behind him, when he decided to kick it into "go" mode... I must admit that I realized, even back then, that I was riding a 'relic' of sorts. Even though, I believe that they (Triumph Bonneville's) are still currently being made... though perhaps I'm wrong... as it's been a while since I looked into bikes generally.

Now - if I'm honest? I'd get, perhaps... a 50cc scooter to put around town on.

And I'd have to do my best to try to outstare all of those 'Harley guys', that are now riding around town on their bright new, overloaded, car sized motorcycles...

Ahh yes - what a life!

Hah!

Nortons...? not to be indelicate... but with Triumphs (Bonneville's in particular) around, who'd have EVER chosen a Norton?

- man, what was that guy thinking?

Ach...!

Norton Commandos would out-perform Triumph Bonnevilles from the same period, both in power and handling.  They also had less vibration due to their rather innovative rubbermounted drivetrain.

Best,

Mike Spencer

Back to fiddles.

Yes, I like this design as well. We are looking at the chinrest - correct?

I have lots of my own hand made chinrests also.

I like both center mount, and side mount - but made mostly center mounted chinrests.

Thanks for posting what you've made Mike. (I really like the violin sitting behind it...)

Norton Commandos would out-perform Triumph Bonnevilles from the same period, both in power and handling.  They also had less vibration due to their rather innovative rubbermounted drivetrain.

Yeah, but...

I just finished peg #19. Before the peg making session I was making 6 chinrests.  Got thru with chinrest session and thought, why not pegs.  If a person doesn't have time to burn, just by them- it's too time consuming.  After pegs I'm thinking of making my own bridge blanks. :blink:

Starting to cut tailgut mortices for tailpiece #6.

The Goldwing is tough to beat.  Ex.- Warm heat coming up from the engine on cool nights, stereo system, and a windshield so that one doesn't get blown/lifted off the bike while at the crest of a hill or hit/splattered by a giant sized insect-creature. 

1.  I am actually attempting to design and build consistent cornerless violins and some DG models.  I have a bunch of sets of wood joined, am thicknessing ribs, mulling over design choices based on the Strad cornerless, and am starting to think about mold.  I was going to use inside, but am thinking I should make outside mold, pattern for cutting out plates, and generally simplify things.

2.  I am making my house better, which is a pain.  Currently doing patch and slip work on the drywall, getting ready to be an interior painter.  I was really trained at one point, and find the previous work really sucks, having to redo things.

3.  On the other hand, I got to delve into one wall.  There were ants.  We thought a lot. Then I sprayed poison into a little hole in the foil on a foam board, and the sizzling of thousands of ant feet on the foil started.  Was like a horror movie.  Using two wet vacs at once and could barely keep up.  Horrible.  Now is almost better, just a final slip coat to do on it.

4.  I have also been almost through the bikes.  My new Moto Guzzi California 1400 is amazing, and has had its first service.  Need to get it to a dealer for a remap - there's an update that is supposed to help the fueling.  Currently running bone white lean, which I do not like.  The old Suzuki VL800 cruiser is ready to ride or sell, except my speedo magnet replacement was wrong and it reads 110 when doing 55.  The VStrom DL1000 got a clutch basket rebuild, tire, new rear pads, and should be ready to go by this weekend.  And the VStar 250 got its 600 mile full service, including adjusting its four cute little valves.

I hope to get back to the fiddles soon.

Kids today! I forgot to mention the reverse gear. On a motorcycle, of all things!

Just teasin' ya John, as if you didn't already know. I switched to Japanese bikes after my last BSA (so named because they were manufactured by a company called "Birmingham Small Arms", which originally gained prominence through the manufacture of firearms).

Much later, I switched to Harleys. Didn't really mean to. Always thought they were kind of stupid. But the "significant other" had an item on her "bucket list", maybe a late midlife crisis sort of thing. "Want to be a Harley rider".

Getting her there was a rather long and involved process, since she had little experience on motorcycles, let alone a 700+ pound motorcycle. But today, she's a really competent rider.

Funny thing happened along the way: Being a highly experienced motorcycle rider who had basically given it up for safety reasons, I found that I was having a ball on her arguably lame retro-scooter, which had reduced potential to get me in trouble, compared to prior insanely fast sport bikes. And I am enjoying it no less. Maybe even more.

Funny thing happened along the way: Being a highly experienced motorcycle rider who had basically given it up for safety reasons, I found that I was having a ball on her arguably lame retro-scooter, which had reduced potential to get me in trouble, compared to prior insanely fast sport bikes. And I am enjoying it no less. Maybe even more.

Yes, I spent a while when I was very young, on a Yamaha 250 enduro, set up for, basically, off road...

Until I snapped the chain, and broke open the crankcase one day, pulling wheelies in the parking lot at work... - I must admit, I had a ton of fun on that bike... anywhere I took it, but I was happy to get myself off of such a fun machine also. For various reasons I never did go back to 'sports' bikes.

I claim to have wound up on the good side of motorbikes, as, I made it through all of my motorcycles in one piece, with nary a scratch.

Not all of my friends can make the same claim. Nor can I claim a total freedom from bad accidents - only, I came away clean - my bike at the time? not so clean.

For me, their time (bikes in general) came and went.

The wife now, only recently, wants a motor scooter, but, to be honest, I'm reluctant to get back into the two wheeled scene, in any capacity.

I know me. I'm more *lucky* than *safe minded*. In particular, on two wheels.

Ok, I'd like to get the thread back "on track" if that's cool with everyone? I apologize for getting snagged up with motorbikes.

This is the what? the Pegbox? so - we're supposed to be posting about ... violins?

Ok... back to the "real world"...

We all good?

I have a BSA Martini Target rifle.  I refinished the stock and gave it a nice 12X target scope.  It is a big heavy MKIII really intended for prone shooting.  Certainly a real chunk of British Steel.

dlb

sorry Craig, Back to fiddles.

sorry Craig, Back to fiddles.

Actually Dwight, I am a *gun guy* also...

I was just attempting to get back on track a little, but guns? Yean, I'll go there too.

America! The right to bear arms!

For good or ill, here we are today.

The wife now, only recently, wants a motor scooter, but, to be honest, I'm reluctant to get back into the two wheeled scene, in any capacity.

Hah, watch out, that's how mine started out too. She started out with a 50 cc Honda scooter, and a few years later, we have two Harleys. :D

None of it was my idea. And we'd probably have 20+ motorcycles if she totally had her way. Maybe more like 50.

Hah, watch out, that's how mine started out too. She started out with a 50 cc Honda scooter, and a few years later, we have two Harleys. :D

None of it was my idea.

Damn!

Women... you know, you can't live with em - can't live without em.

The sly way they control us. I tell you, it's criminal.

I have a BSA Martini Target rifle.  I refinished the stock and gave it a nice 12X target scope.  It is a big heavy MKIII really intended for prone shooting.  Certainly a real chunk of British Steel.

dlb

Listen up, dlb, I've got a Ruger 22 that has customized wooden grips with a thumb rest. (made by yours truly)

It's been set up like this since I bought it about... I don't know - thirty some years ago.

Hey, I'll show you mine, if you show me yours... guns I mean.