Sign in to follow this  
VicM

I need violin method suggestions

On 8/4/2015 at 5:37 PM, VicM said:

I do not think it is a method. I think it is just marketing for teachers and  waste of time. In my opinion. I studied violin ( two years viola ) for eight years in a full time violin school. Piano , solfege, dictee, harmony. I play piano aceptably. I am interested in a professional method made by a reputable professional which takes care of structuring the studies.

Lol. Stop hating on the Suzuki Method.  I'm not necessarily advocating it, but it is the quickest way to get any student (child or adult) to get some basic techniques while getting a good bit of repertoire under your fingers.  If you don't plan on taking lessons, this method will get you pretty far without a teacher since you already have piano under your belt.  It is like any method, you can't start with the mind-set that you have experience and can just skip the easy stuff and get to playing a Handel Sonata because you may have played something on a similar level in highschool.  

I took quite a few years (nearly 2 decades) off.  The last piece I officially took lessons on was Bach Unaccompanied Sonata number 1, first two movements (are they called movements?).  I took out my old Suzuki books and began playing from book 1 with my then 4 year old.  Played every piece as if I was performing the Mendelssohn violin concerto. :D Twinkle variations never sounded so good.  Since then, I have taken on the tasks of learning and re-learning 3 major concertos and some more Bach unaccompanied sonatas and partitas.  My point, I never down-played the beginner level stuff. 

One of your goals is to play the Bach double.  The second violin part for the first movement in the Bach double is in book 4 of the Suzuki Method.  The pieces in books 1 through 4 contain the rhythms, runs, bowings, and other technique found in the Bach double.  Simply put, the pieces are designed (not always well designed) to get you to that next piece.  

Plenty of stuff on youtube and plenty of materials on the internet to supplement this method.  Just my two cents.

I do not think it is a method. I think it is just marketing for teachers and  waste of time. In my opinion. I studied violin ( two years viola ) for eight years in a full time violin school. Piano , solfege, dictee, harmony. I play piano aceptably. I am interested in a professional method made by a reputable professional which takes care of structuring the studies.

WTF? duplicate post. sorry.

duplicate post

On 11/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, violinnewb said:

Lol. Stop hating on the Suzuki Method.  I'm not necessarily advocating it, but it is the quickest way to get any student (child or adult) to get some basic techniques while getting a good bit of repertoire under your fingers.  If you don't plan on taking lessons, this method will get you pretty far without a teacher since you already have piano under your belt.  It is like any method, you can't start with the mind-set that you have experience and can just skip the easy stuff and get to playing a Handel Sonata because you may have played something on a similar level in highschool.  

I took quite a few years (nearly 2 decades) off.  The last piece I officially took lessons on was Bach Unaccompanied Sonata number 1, first two movements (are they called movements?).  I took out my old Suzuki books and began playing from book 1 with my then 4 year old.  Played every piece as if I was performing the Mendelssohn violin concerto. :D Twinkle variations never sounded so good.  Since then, I have taken on the tasks of learning and re-learning 3 major concertos and some more Bach unaccompanied sonatas and partitas.  My point, I never down-played the beginner level stuff. 

One of your goals is to play the Bach double.  The second violin part for the first movement in the Bach double is in book 4 of the Suzuki Method.  The pieces in books 1 through 4 contain the rhythms, runs, bowings, and other technique found in the Bach double.  Simply put, the pieces are designed (not always well designed) to get you to that next piece.  

Plenty of stuff on youtube and plenty of materials on the internet to supplement this method.  Just my two cents.

Sorry but this was some years ago ! I received a copy ( scan ) of a very good method from a poster here and all was ( is!) good. And I do not "hate" the Suzuki method. There is nothing to hate there.

OMG. I am so stupid.  Did not realize how old this thread was.  I am glad that you (the OP) was able to find a method.  For the person who revitalized this thread, go Suzuki! LOL:D

I was NOT happy with what was available in terms of beginner violin method books for kids....so I kind of went overboard and wrote my own primer. I've attached some images so you get a sense of it's approach. I have two boys ages 6 and 3, so I tried to design something with them as my audience using a cartoon-style characters and such, but I also majored in music and thought about all the different ways to learn, so I tried to incorporate kinesthetic/tactile and other learning concepts too. Anyway, the boys love it so far so I am happy.

You can preview the pages on my website and I've attached some of the images here. Super Strings Violin Method for Kids

Let me know what you think! I don't really have a level two book or plans to make one. Is there anything else out there that is similar?

Violin Method Kid Superheros.png

Lesson 4.png

Warm Ups.png

Edited by EliseB
Pictures were too big.