Maestronet Forums

Violin Varnish Touch Up

mandm

Are any of these people qualified to repair varnish like this? Would they charge similarly to you?

I think they are all qualified, however probably too busy or not interested in such a project as they are primarily "new makers". But you certainly could try contacting them. The above names are all top level and would charge quite a bit if they were to take it on.

To be honest, as one who who makes new instruments, varnish repair like this is a completely different skill set, that being said, it is very difficult to encounter work like this to learn on unless you are in a busy shop or at specific workshops paying to learn how to address such things.

That being said, I'll throw out a completely insane offer {for both of us} I will attempt to repair it for free if you would like as I would like to have something like this to "practice" on.

Now I'm not Jefferey Holmes, but I'm not Joe Blo either, as far as skills/understanding goes...So,if you are willing to take a gamble, create a small contract obsolving me of any liability, I'll attempt to do it for free....

I'm working in San Rafael, and so if you'd like to try to meet sometime, I'd be glad to atleast look at it, and you can sniff me out and see if the offer is something you want to do. My insterest in this is purely self "educational"

"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are overthinking this. Given that this is a 1920s Roth its retail price would be 6-8K, maybe more, maybe devalued because of the crack. I think a decent varnish repair job would make sense economically. Yes it takes a lot of skill, knowledge, patience etc., but that's what violin shops do, and there are plenty competent enough to take this on without turning it into a major historical restoration.

I think there are many shops that know their way around 20th century German instruments and also know enough about varnish repair, that they could come up with a cost effective solution. I think if this instrument ended up in a retailer's hands, they would make that repair disappear in a heartbeat for resale.

If this really bugs you, and Feller and Ifshin are too busy to put you in the queue, I would suggest sending off to a good comparable shop somewhere else. I would avoid taking it to anyone who is mainly a maker, unless you know them well.

I'm curious as to how much the repair cost you have in mind for Bay Area restorers?

I think it would be impossible to say, without having a better look at what one is starting out with. Would the job mostly involve removing and re-applying surface touchup varnish? Is some of the over-intense color soaked into the wood? Was the purpose of the dark touchup varnish to conceal a crack which wasn't well repaired in the first place? Would a good repair involve taking the original repair apart (which would probably necessitate removing the top), cleaning it, and regluing it?

Stuff like this doesn't lend itself very well to simple answers.

I think there are many shops that know their way around 20th century German instruments and also know enough about varnish repair, that they could come up with a cost effective solution. I think if this instrument ended up in a retailer's hands, they would make that repair disappear in a heartbeat for resale.

I'm sure many would be improve the appearance... but "disappear"... that really depends on the shop (who is doing the work), the extent of the problems caused by the previous work, and the investment the shop was willing to make.

I think the OP has plenty of options at this point.  I'm not sure why the probe continues, unless we don't have all the facts. His/her stated goal was that the repair be made "invisible".  That, of course, comes at a cost.

I think they are all qualified, however probably too busy or not interested in such a project as they are primarily "new makers". But you certainly could try contacting them. The above names are all top level and would charge quite a bit if they were to take it on.

To be honest, as one who who makes new instruments, varnish repair like this is a completely different skill set, that being said, it is very difficult to encounter work like this to learn on unless you are in a busy shop or at specific workshops paying to learn how to address such things.

That being said, I'll throw out a completely insane offer {for both of us} I will attempt to repair it for free if you would like as I would like to have something like this to "practice" on.

Now I'm not Jefferey Holmes, but I'm not Joe Blo either, as far as skills/understanding goes...So,if you are willing to take a gamble, create a small contract obsolving me of any liability, I'll attempt to do it for free....

I'm working in San Rafael, and so if you'd like to try to meet sometime, I'd be glad to atleast look at it, and you can sniff me out and see if the offer is something you want to do. My insterest in this is purely self "educational"

"

Thank's for your offer. Would have taken up your offer if I saw it earlier. I dropped off the instrument off for repair today morning to one of the makers you mentioned. Violin will return in less than a month. Repairs person said there is no guarantee that the crack will be invisible, but the appearance will be improved. Will update after I get the violin back.

Thank's for your offer. Would have taken up your offer if I saw it earlier. I dropped off the instrument off for repair today morning to one of the makers you mentioned. Violin will return in less than a month. Repairs person said there is no guarantee that the crack will be invisible, but the appearance will be improved. Will update after I get the violin back.

Well good, I think that is exactaly what I would have said, as it's reasonable, I am quite sure I could have improved it, the challenge would have been to make it "invisible" . If it's at any of the listed guys, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Sorry for the mis-spelling of the name, thanks for catching that, I'm having spelling issues in general as I'm on a different browser with no spell check....yikes!

Given that this is a 1920s Roth its retail price would be 6-8K,

Please PM me if you ever bump into 20s Roth model VIIIR and above at violin shops for 6-8k. Would love to go check them out and possibly buy them. I am kind of addicted to Roth for some reasons.

• 3 weeks later...