Sign in to follow this  
Craig Tucker

Violin makers eyes

Regarding change in color perception after cataract surgery, my experience was somewhat different than David's Mother & Grandmother.  Because they only 'do' one eye at a time, you have a chance, in-between surgeries, to compare your original eye (lens) with the new one.  Some colors were different for me, especially the reds; and the reds I saw with the new eye were not pleasing- they tended toward a more crimson hue, having more blue than normal.  A previous, pleasing "turkey red" was now a garish hue to me.  The phenomenon was especially noticeable with red cars.  I was not happy, but no one would believe, or admit the artificial lens did not produce "natural" colors.  Now that I have both new lenses, I have no comparison, so I can no longer notice if colors are "off".  But think what this would be like for a painter or artist who works with very precise color... 

OTOH Craig, this simple out-patient procedure will not merely slow-down or stop further deterioration of quality of sight, but will completely restore your vision.  It's truly amazing!  Even with my experience, I highly recommend anyone needing cataract surgery to have it done.  You'll never regret it.

Regarding change in color perception after cataract surgery, my experience was somewhat different than David's Mother & Grandmother.  Because they only 'do' one eye at a time, you have a chance, in-between surgeries, to compare your original eye (lens) with the new one.  Some colors were different for me, especially the reds; and the reds I saw with the new eye were not pleasing- they tended toward a more crimson hue, having more blue than normal.  A previous, pleasing "turkey red" was now a garish hue to me.  The phenomenon was especially noticeable with red cars.  I was not happy, but no one would believe, or admit the artificial lens did not produce "natural" colors.  Now that I have both new lenses, I have no comparison, so I can no longer notice if colors are "off".  But think what this would be like for a painter or artist who works with very precise color... 

OTOH Craig, this simple out-patient procedure will not merely slow-down or stop further deterioration of quality of sight, but will completely restore your vision.  It's truly amazing!  Even with my experience, I highly recommend anyone needing cataract surgery to have it done.  You'll never regret it.

This reminds me of reading about the cleaning of the frescos in the Sistine Chapel.

dlb

Rue, calling this membrane a floater is like calling a jaguar a pussy cat. It's what is left over from the vitreous pulling away from the back of the eye. Some said that I would learn to ignore it. Three years later, I haven't- especially on a sunny day. Evidentially 40% of those over 60 have this happen to varying degrees.

OK,

... nowhere really to post this, so I'll post it here,

I just talked with my wife who, with one of my daughters, went to Texas (about 9 hrs away) to visit my other (youngest) daughter and her three children, two boys (one half way through high school... my oldest grand kid - the one with the half-way finished violin that I've spoken of before, here) and one girl.

My youngest daughter decided to come home with them (in her own car) and visit for the next three days. She and I love each other very much. What a great and pleasant surprise!

So, all of the family will be here in Roswell, - both of my daughters, my son, and all seven grandkids.

How utterly cool is that?

Since I can't have children of my own, I inherited this family, and now, until I am no more, I am the grandfather and the father...

Something that I could never do on my own, but all of these grandkids (well, except for the oldest one, Christopher) remember me from their very beginning.

Kristen Grace, the one I am joined at the hip with, was held by me first, after her mother, the day she was born...

Now she's as tall as my wife is.

Sorry, I know that I tend to ramble... (well, I'm 60 now, right?)

I'm not an overly religious man, but there MUST BE a God somewhere, doing something great. And I must be in his good graces for some odd reason, as, I cannot take credit for any of this.

It has been given to me.

I accept.

So, not to sound too idiotic, but I'm an EXTREMELY lucky man...

My thanks for listening, all.

My thanks also to God, where ever you are, who ever you are, for being so very generous with me...

"Violin makers eyes"... hah!

What more, than this, could anyone ask for?

Everyone, my extreme thanks, for taking the time to answer me about this.

I have come to a brand new understanding about aging... I think, and I don't feel so *all alone* any more.

The family is here and I'm going to visit.

Bye all, for now, and my thanks for posting these various experiences here.

It has given me the little (well, large actually) boost, in my emotional attitude, that I need to confront this head on...

Tough stuff, but one can work through it.  I have one cataract, which gives a slight yellow cast, contrasted with the other eye.  I've seen a bunch of folks through cataract surgery, amazingly fast and effective.  They won't do mine yet, not bad enough.

What's really unpleasant are stitches in the eye.  I had a growth removed and a graft put in, with stitches in cornea and where the graft came from.  Vision so much better, but the whole stitching procedure was highly annoying.  That and having some pulled without anesthetic or anything!!  

Regardless, the things that can be done today are amazing.  I spend much time outside using my eyes, and believe that helps a bunch.

Cataracts also seem to bring about a shift in color perception.   Both my mother and Grandmother were painters.   With each of them, in the 5 years or so leading up to when they got cataract operations, each had a shift in their color palette toward unnaturally vivid and over saturated colors. Then with each, after cataract operations their pallets returned to a more natural color balance.

For interest:  Influence of cataracts on Claude Monet's painting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1551703/Cataracts-the-key-to-Monets-blurry-style.html

"Scientists claim to have proved what many in the art world have long suspected - that Claude Monet painted in his distinctive style because cataracts blurred his vision."

Also (from http://www.itsokaytobesmart.com/post/21331669591/claude-monet-ultraviolet-eye)

tumblr_m2osawnXtI1qbh26io1_500.jpgtumblr_m2osawnXtI1qbh26io2_500.jpg

"The paintings above are of the same scene. The red and yellow version is painted as seen through his left eye, limited to the wavelengths allowed by his cataract. The painting on the right is deep blue and violet, as seen through an eye with no lens."

(Bear in mind that back then for cataracts the lens was just removed and not replaced as it is currently.)

Good luck Craig! Hope it all goes well!

Not that it's even close to the same thing, but I'm about to get laser treatment for my shortsightedness and I'm not looking forward to having my eyes lasered :-P

I had it done five years ago. It is not bad at all, and goes very quickly. It will open a whole new world of vision and that world will have no frame around it.

I felt the same way and put it off. Wish that I had done it sooner. Wait till you get in the shower and start to take off your glasses and realize that you haven't got any.

I am reluctant to get rid of my glasses. I have talked to several people who experienced side-effects from laser surgery that would drive me cuckoo.

And most of them end up needing glasses again regardless...

I will save the opportunity for when I really have no other options...

Yes but they would need glasses for close work, because they now can see perfectly far away. Most folks past 45 need close up gasses anyway. What side effects did they have?

All my life my two eyes needed very different correctuions.

And colors in the eyes was different.  At 70 I had cataract

surgery on both eyes.  Wow:  no more yellow filter, 2 stops brighter,

WOW!!

I elected NO FANCY CORRECTION!  Simple.  Both eyes focused on the

music stand (Computer screen).  If I want to read a book, +2 glasses

from the dollar store.  For driving, professional glasses that correct

residual astigmatism.  I can play in orchestra without glasses.  FOR THE

FIRST TIME.  The conductor is fuzzy, but that is all to the good.

I am super happy with the cataract surgery.  If you have macular degeneration,

I am sorry.

Modern medicine can fix some problems very well.  Cataracts, Hip Joints.

Others are not so easy.  Macular degeration, Knee replacement.

Some are still research projects, Pancreas Cancer.

See an eye doc.  If it is cataracts, get them fixed!!