Maestronet Forums

The only thing harder than making a violin is working for idiots, but both are possible.

tidewaterred

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't worry about working for idiots, they may be over me and they may be a pain or make stupid decisions, but if the pay is correct for the job I just move through the idiocy and get paid. 

I worked for an architect who was an idiot. More than once. I worked for a big museum curator who was an idiot. More than once different idiots. In each case they questioned my ability to design and questioned my particular design details on specific projects.

As time passed, a few days or weeks it became evident to the idiots that my work was good, correct and well thought out. They had to double back and adopt my plans because they rushed in the beginning when taking apart my ideas. The thing is that can make you  mad, but two thing happen it becomes clear to everyone who is the smart one and the satisfaction that your idea was used can be gratifying. 

It took me a few times to learn, but working under idiocy can be frustrating, but better to not make a big deal out of it on the job. After work, with friends maybe a little gossip. 

One idiot architect really did piss me off. He cut my pay budget in order to add a feature to a project. He took money for my budget and added it to the materials budget so he could buy a slab of mahogany 4" thick 16' long and 20" wide......guess how much that cost? He used it as a step tread. IDIOT. The client hated it because they and their kids kept hitting their ankles and shins on this massive monument to his lordship. About six weeks later they called me over and said they wanted to do my original idea for step tread that his Lordship Col. Architect rejected because it came from the lowly carpenter. I cut a 40" long section off the plank and made a lovely varnished step that did not impinge on normal life. They realized later too that he loped my budget to pay for his idiocy. They did not compensate me past paying for my original idea to be created, but they did give me the rest of the tree. 

Now, if you are working for Walmart, forget those comments. Their middle managers are the worst I've ever encountered.

That suggests you never worked in the "public sector".  :lol:

Almost everyone in government is an idiot.  The Peter principle thrives there.  I am a retired government worker and I know of what I speak.  (Does that make me an idiot too?)

Nope, because I am too, and I'm certainly no idiot.  ^_^

The Dilbert comic on Sunday was hilarious.  It is about the very real kind of glass walls some people in upper management can build up if they only have yes men around. http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-07-12  Any kind of organization can have this problem if people start suffering from swell head disease.  

Like!  :)

I like the prods toward introspection on this thread best.

Maybe we're all noticing the same sort of narrow view and self importance in these idiots we've worked for. I'd add that the worst bosses I've had don't know how to accept blame, and will construct anything to fob it off elsewhere.

But, like Jeffrey said, when I've entered the SAME hot water I ridiculed former idiot overlords for, it's surprising how handily I repeated their mistakes at first...

Thats the thing about working for yourself. If I had a few bucks for every time I slap myself on the fore head and exclaim: "You Idiot! 

I'd be pretty wealthy. 

When you work by yourself however you gotta cut yourself a bit of slack, you can't see everything ahead of time and there are no coworkers to notice things you don't pick up. There's stupid moves you can avoid, and there's also error due to a particular job just being really, really difficult. 

I feel pretty good at the end of the day if I did not do any thing stupid all day or make a dumb move that leads to a 'do something over job' for myself.  Often wish I had someone to work with in the shop that can say "Oh Ah that thing you're doing now, better look again." Good coworkers generally are more a plus than a minus to me.  

We all make mistakes, particularly newly anointed managers, and most especially newly minted sole proprietors of small businesses.  The shots being taken by those of us with bitter wells of experience to draw from, IMHO, are not aimed at youth, inexperience, and the operationally overwhelmed with no staff to consult, but rather at experienced incompetents infesting large organizations, blessed with mediocre talents, huge egos, vicious attitudes (including an adversarial approach to employee relations), poor leadership skills, and an utter disregard for what used to be known as "common decency".   :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

If it were just about the chest, I would think Burgess.  But the rest doesn't fit.  OK, well maybe the facial hair.  And I am happy to say I have never seen David in a bathing suit so I can't speak to his coloring.

One thing to remember is that being a manager sucks.  The rewards often are just beyond reach (as your own superiors tend to move the goal a lot).  You see real and potent threats to your values in the choices you face.  Often you have no one to whom you can turn for advice, one of the reasons people say it's lonely at the top.  So, if your boss makes you miserable and that is the basis for recommending for them the title of "idiot", bear in mind they are just letting some of the [scatological reference] roll downhill past them and on to you.  Likely as not, their manager when they were in your shoes was a pain -- socialization in the workplace.

For my part, I look forward to being my own boss because then I have only myself to blame for my [sexual reference]-ups.

If it were just about the chest, I would think Burgess.  But the rest doesn't fit.  OK, well maybe the facial hair.  And I am happy to say I have never seen David in a bathing suit so I can't speak to his coloring.

Shouldn't every VSA Convention include some kind of "pose-off"? It could be people in our business competing for twelve photo spots in the annual VSA calender (Julian would probably win if Speedos are not disallowed), or it could be makers and dealers competing for the most outrageous sales pitch which has actually worked on more than one person. :lol: