Maestronet Forums

It is no secret that I like fancy violins and have often wondered why the PTB seem to frown on such doings.

And I am not referring to over the top ornate (or purple violins studded with Swarovski crystals )...but more subtle stuff. Double purfling...a non-standard scroll...fancy fittings...

...and not all at the same time either...

I was just looking at Lee Dale Nigh's Web page. I find that little touch or accent of "fancy" very appealing.

So why are "we" so conservative? Fancy isn't something new either...so it's not like there has been no historical precident.

From da Salo . 1540-1609 ... a hundred years before Strad ...give or take . It's an interesting question . might just be because all the extra work really adds up , almost three full days into those flowers for me. and I loved doing it ...but maybe not day after day for months  That, and the form and function of the violin family are so near perfect when compared to the more heavily decorated precursors, that the 'king' needed no decoration to enhance .??? Thought's?

post-30189-0-92858200-1436494196_thumb.jpg

post-30189-0-70865800-1436494296_thumb.jpg

I love how you decide which line goes over and which line goes under, it really flows, Once you put the varnish on it's gonna be super.I just let my eyes follow ir around like it is a labyrinth.  It is right up to the level of the original

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/Violas/DaSalo/DaSaloViola3368/3368daSaloviolabackbottomLG.jpg

I am crazy about bows with different kinds of frogs and mountings.  It is now rather non-pc to use some of the materials anymore. (no more threads on that one please)!!!

DLB

From da Salo . 1540-1609 ... a hundred years before Strad ...give or take . It's an interesting question . might just be because all the extra work really adds up , almost three full days into those flowers for me. and I loved doing it ...but maybe not day after day for months  That, and the form and function of the violin family are so near perfect when compared to the more heavily decorated precursors, that the 'king' needed no decoration to enhance .??? Thought's?

Weren't you going to have a bench thread for this viola.  Although it's kinda fun seeing glimses of the da Salo you're building randomly poping up in different threads.  Looks nice!

-Jim

If brevity is the soul of wit, perhaps understatement is the heart of elegance?

I suppose there might be a place in the world for rhinestone fine tuners, just not in my world. ;)

http://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/SHAR-Workshop/Luxitune-Hill-Style-E-Adjuster-Pave-Ball-Pink-Crystals-14k-Gold-Plate.axd#sthash.7vnuXjJu.dpbs

Holy smokes!  That one is a whole universe of fancy!!  It looks like a baroque disco ball!

DLB

Ok, James M Jones...

Since I strive to be a resident 'artist' here - well, some times at least...

Now I'm going to take your copy of the Da Salo, shown here.

In my opinion: the design of the purfling, simply does add an artistic element to this violin.

Simple in a way - straight forward, intricate in another way, and very cleanly done...

There are elements, added to string instruments, that detract from them greatly - and I don't want to get into that end of it at all.

But this? What you show here?

Beautiful. 

If brevity is the soul of wit, perhaps understatement is the heart of elegance?

I suppose there might be a place in the world for rhinestone fine tuners, just not in my world. ;)

http://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/SHAR-Workshop/Luxitune-Hill-Style-E-Adjuster-Pave-Ball-Pink-Crystals-14k-Gold-Plate.axd#sthash.7vnuXjJu.dpbs

Did I NOT nix the Swarovski crystals???  :angry:

Gorgeous work! :wub:

Regarding the button and purfling picture;

Yes, I agree.

Someone with an artistic bent, just captured a great and artistic way of personalizing their violin... I agree with the "elegant" conclusion. 

Absolutely.

I wouldn't mind owning this simply for this design element, it makes me wonder at the other lutherie qualities inherent in the rest this fiddle?

Mike, that purfle job is amazing. Hats off.

From the Lee Dale Nigh pic of the button detail!-- I think Dale is one of the more stylish makers I've ever had the pleasure to meet. He tries new things and keeps the highest standards while trying them. His instruments sound great and look great, and he does it all under a serious spruce allergy-- dedication.