Maestronet Forums

first viola build

shellyrat

I just finished my 2nd violin and have wood for numbers 3 and 4. I thought I would like to change up and build a viola , so the wood for that is on the way. I am building the strobel viola. It is 15 5/8 which would fit my 5'3" frame better then a larger model . 

Is there any big difference between the violin and viola I should watch for in this build. 

Mastronet has been such a big help to me. You will never know how thankful I am that I found you all.I am so hooked on this.

Thanks 

Kathy c in ky

I have only built 2 violas, but there didn't seem to be any big differences.  The only mindset difference I think is the arching and how it works with the F-holes, where the geometry is a bit different and you might have to go slowly to see how it flows together.  The blending and flow is something that doesn't come from templates; you have to be there and do it.

Congrats on starting another project!

Have you posted pics of your violin/s? I'd love to see them. How do they sound?

I have a 16" Strad copy...and last year bought a 15 3/4" Guad copy. I don't know if it's the 1/4" difference or something other in the configuration, but I also find the shorter one a bit easier to play. It doesn't sound quite as deep though either. Although that might have nothing to do with size and more with the myriad of other factors affecting sound.

Hi

Don´t be affraid with the shape.
Copy a standar one or draw one with standar measurement.
I copied an Stauffer photo and compeared with measurements and corrected. 
It was ok. I sold to a professional like second instrument.
Sell is the truth

Hurry up !!! ha ha haaaa!!!

Thanks all. And thanks for the link. No I haven't posted pics yet. Need to. Got all my accessories from IVC already just waiting on the wood from grandpas workshop in canada.

I think my biggest stumbling block is the bridge and set up. I can afford to take them to someone in Nashville. I just need to work on it. I learned a lot from the first and second fiddles. I play old time and thought it would be cheaper to build my own while chasing THE sound. My hubby said I should have just bought one it would have been cheaper. Haa .Didnt know I would get so hooked on building. 

Kathy c in ky