Sign in to follow this  
steveperry

Bulk rib thinning method

Must have been some time since I posted this photo of my rib sanding fixture, so here it is again:

attachicon.gif131004 rib sanding fixture.JPG

Nice setup, but I find that I get a much finer finish using the largest drum possible because linear sanding speed is proportional to the radius.  I find the faster the sanding speed the smoother the finish... but I always finish the ribs with a larger scraper

Allow enough time for the pump to refill with fluid or you'll be pumping air. If the bubble is inside the ABS pump , you'll need to cycle it. That means take it to the agent. :)   ( you can't complain you don't get advice here... :)  )

That dang master cylinder just held onto air like nobody's business!  Still not sure I got it all.  Banged it with a screwdriver and everything.  At least I got the bike sorted now, see below, and may have figured out an Evan inspired attachment for my belt sander.  Just have to find enough odd pieces around to make what I sketched!  I'll also build a final scraping jig to keep things even thickness.

Here's the new bike in close to final setup:

smdh1wY.jpg

Moto Guzzi California Touring, 1400 cc across mounted V twin, air/oil cooled (10w60 synthetic), dry clutch, six-speed gear box, shaft drive.  Twin Brembo in the front do a great job.  Came stock with windscreen, fog lamps, hard bags, engine guards.  I've added a deer whistle, laminar lip at the top of the windscreen, halfpipe lowers, an Air Hawk 2 for the rock hard saddle, and a Kuryakyn Grantour bag with backrest.  Also ROX risers and foam grip covers.  Amazing bike.  No issue going across country.  36.3 mpg today on twisty roads with substantial elevation changes, only 33 mph average speed.  Not bad for a 740 lb touring machine.  I expect cruise control at 70 would give me mid 40s on flat ground, or maybe a little better.  Oh, and it came with Piaggio scooter horns.  Laughable.  Has a bit better installed now!  More pics: http://imgur.com/a/cI4lf

That dang master cylinder just held onto air like nobody's business!  Still not sure I got it all.  Banged it with a screwdriver and everything.  At least I got the bike sorted now, see below, and may have figured out an Evan inspired attachment for my belt sander.  Just have to find enough odd pieces around to make what I sketched!  I'll also build a final scraping jig to keep things even thickness.

Here's the new bike in close to final setup:

Moto Guzzi California Touring, 1400 cc across mounted V twin, air/oil cooled (10w60 synthetic), dry clutch, six-speed gear box, shaft drive.  Twin Brembo in the front do a great job.  Came stock with windscreen, fog lamps, hard bags, engine guards.  I've added a deer whistle, laminar lip at the top of the windscreen, halfpipe lowers, an Air Hawk 2 for the rock hard saddle, and a Kuryakyn Grantour bag with backrest.  Also ROX risers and foam grip covers.  Amazing bike.  No issue going across country.  36.3 mpg today on twisty roads with substantial elevation changes, only 33 mph average speed.  Not bad for a 740 lb touring machine.  I expect cruise control at 70 would give me mid 40s on flat ground, or maybe a little better.  Oh, and it came with Piaggio scooter horns.  Laughable.  Has a bit better installed now!  More pics: http://imgur.com/a/cI4lf

Nice bike ! Heavy !    

You'll see if you still have air inside if when the calipers get hot, the brake keeps on catching earlier and earlier. Too much air and they'll drag, overheat and glaze the pads. You know what that means. :) Try tape a pipe to the reservoir and have somebody blow hard in it while you bleed.  Some pumps have a simple connector and you might be able to spin them by simply powering with 12V. If you can find the pump. :) :) :)

Nice pics, man !

If there's any air left it's in the silly master cylinder. I got clean fluid at both front calipers, and the rear brake bled with no trouble at all.  Actually, I think I got it.  At least it has a nipple at the master cylinder.  

Has traction control and three throttle maps.  I used the rain throttle map yesterday, which really mellow.  I normally use the touring map.  

Doing a couple of long uphills obviously helped the rings seat a little better.  Have to do more of that.  I noticed that 45 mph on the level leaves the cylinders barely warm to the touch!  

As to weight, well, I can ride 850 lb bikes without issue.  This one at 740 is a bit higher in the CG than Harleys, but handles wonderfully.  A bit of care needed below 20 mph - does not want to go under 20 mph.  Sweet spot seems to be 60 to well into reckless driving.  Went from 55 to 90 in a few seconds in sixth gear yesterday, started breathing slightly heavily, used maybe 1/3 throttle.

Come ride the Dragon.  

I really have to get the machine looking more like a police bike.  Actually, I'm going to get vinyl advertising for my violin business on one side, and my law business on the other side.  Subtle and low key, put business cards on it.  The bike attracts a crowd.  I suspect that I can get biker v. insurance company work simply parking at the Dragon and letting nature take its course.  Flatlanders are always riding past their limits on that road.  One day on the Dragon will get a year's worth of a Florida rider's corners!

On other events more related, I'm sitting here drinking coffee with Charlie. We're going to go try to build a bulk rib sander for my belt sander, along with getting some other stuff set up.  I hope to be able to start drawing up and building patterns for a cornerless violin today or tomorrow, too.  Need to get my pattern following router up, too.

Anyone else, welcome to come ride with us.  Great roads, good places to eat, colorful locals, and very good junk shopping.

If there's any air left it's in the silly master cylinder. I got clean fluid at both front calipers, and the rear brake bled with no trouble at all.  Actually, I think I got it.  At least it has a nipple at the master cylinder.  

Doing a couple of long uphills obviously helped the rings seat a little better.  Have to do more of that.  I noticed that 45 mph on the level leaves the cylinders barely warm to the touch!  

If it's got a nipple on the m/cyl then they wanted pressure bleeding. Lots of times the refill hole in the m/cyl is too small and it takes forever for the m/cyl to refill. Release slowly. Best to wait 10-30 secs between pumps. What happens is that you'll get all the air out eventually but if any non-negligible qty was left trapped in the ABS pump it'll be released when the pump works and that's nasty 'cause the pump works when you really need it. :) . Some pumps, just can't be bled and need be replaced : never understood how a manuf can produce such unfriendly crap.

If you need to set the rings, don't have synthetic oil in it. It'll take forever and a little bit. :)

Ride safely ! 

This one runs solo, although I don't notice a passenger.  The dog I hit before is still around, unfortunately, and sometimes in the road.  Oh well.  This bike has a very high road presence, and with a white helmet people think "police" and avoid me.  Really works.  Does hold my attention, riding a large powerful thing on two wheels, but so does running a jointer!   

We have a preliminary design for the thinning unit.  Have to get a rolling stand for the jointer finished first, and get a new better stand for the sander picked up and installed.  Currently held down with C clamps, which will not do!  We have a huge pile of ribs stacked up, so the rig will get run in and tested pretty soon.  I'll post it if it works well.  I'll also make a final scraping jig.  Got a quick release hold down for that already at Harbor Freight!  Can't decide whether a rectangular carpenter's scraper or the Stanley model 80 is most effective.  Will try both.