Maestronet Forums

Santa Fe, NM

Dwight Brown

I will be in Santa Fe, NM for a few days this coming week, does anyone know of any string instrument, shops, museums, or anything else that would be good to see?  I know there are lots of art museums, etc.  and the restaurants are amazing (I already have reservations :-)

Thanks Folks,

DLB

Taos is still good, and it's a short day trip.

Nearby there is a beautiful natural spa (Ojo Caliente) with ample lithium water supply (for happy drinking)-something like $20 for the day. The waters are considered healing (the locals enjoy the several varieties of soaking springs for free, and many of them have stories of the effects), and I'm inclined to believe it. Take the time to enjoy that if you can.

And, in Santa Fe there is a shop whose specialty is Aztec chocolate drinks and treats (kakawa). This is chocolate like I had never had before--you'll love it if you are even slightly inclined to enjoy chocolatey things.

Violin-related...Robertson's, definitely second that one. It's more like a firm than a violin shop, and of course they have everything.

Santa Fe is 1 hr 4 min from Albuquerque, according to google maps, home of Robertson's, which I assume is still open. They have some interesting violins on their web site.

I bought a nice bow from them a few years ago.  I would like to drop by their shop.  They always come to the Texas music conventions and bring all their good stuff.  The very kindly let me try an Amati, and a Guadinini.

DLB

Robertson's is definitely worth a visit, assuming nothing has changed since I was there about eight years ago.  They have what appears to be a purpose-built, free-standing, two story building with a nice performance hall and an elevator.  I happened to be there when all the principals of the company were away to an operal festival in Santa Fe, and one of the 'bored' staff offered to give me a tour of the place.  Ask to see the Bass and Cello rooms on the second floor. Quite impressive. I was told that the really expensive violins are kept in the basement.

Also, if you're into guitars, the Pimentel & Sons workshop is (was?) nearby.  Again, I happened in on a slow day, and one of the very friendly sons kept feeding me guitars to sample.  The dad's work was my favorite, but not quite what I was looking for at the time.

Rat

Rat,

I love your avatar!  Works right in with the now famous Viking Luthier Gerbils!   My experiences with Robertsons have always been very good.  Mostly at the veru larg Texas conventions where they bring tons of stuff including million dollar instruments and pretty much let everyone play to their heart's content.  Aaron Robertson especially has always been fun to talk to.

DLB

Mike is making great progress on my DaSalo viola and the group project is off to a good start.  The major bits are with the luthiers that will make them and Ernie is hard at it with the mold and rib garland.

DLB

The gerbils themselves are sailing the North Atlantic in a longship made of some bear claw spruce I have coming from Switzerland, Hide your daughters and cheese!!    :-)

Yes...I've been reading along with the group build.

It was your personal build I was wondering about.  Glad it's going well.

My daughter can take care of herself <_<...but I will hide the cheese, just in case... ^_^

Mike is about to begin purfling on the big viola, which in this case is a whole lot!  Double purfling and a decorated back.  I ordered the case from Dimitri Musafia, there are probably cheaper routes but none so sure in the case business.  I have been very pleased with the case I have from him and we have had a very nice correspondence over the last few years.  I will probably be ordering one or two more in the next year or so.  One of his cases saved and instrument of mine from a bad accident that was entirely of my own making, it payed for itself in an instant.

DLB

Don't forget Dwight, if you make it down as far as Roswell, let me know a day or so ahead of time, so's me and my better half can arrange a day of eating, drinking, (firing up the grill?) and talking about important stuff - like, perhaps even violins, and all that kind of crap!...

Craig T

Stop in at the Loretto Church just off the square. They have a very interesting wood free standing circular staircase. Very interesting engineering.

Yes. Worth a gander. And I seem to recall the oldest house in America is nearby?

Yes! That staircase...

I would suggest the opera house and Abiquiu and the usual stuff in the area, but it sounds like you have been there before a few times (so you know about these things) and you'll only be there a few days anyway. Oh...for another diversion... there's Sandia Peak. It's worth seeing if you haven't.

I used to camp at Ghost Ranch for three weeks each summer, which imo is a great way to do it. Santa Fe proper gets very expensive. Georgia O'Keeffe left the most amazing land to the Presbyterian Church, and fyi you can camp there at Ghost Ranch for $20 or so, meals included, if you like that sort of thing. It's a good retreat to be aware of.

If you do decide to get covered in mud and bathe in arsenic water, or indulge in the chocolate, etc., I'll be living vicariously, so do tell. My husband went to New Mexico with me for Christmas once five years ago, and he considers he doesn't need to ever go back. Too bad for me, since I really love it there.

Any one of these excursions I mentioned could more than make up for the five hours you'll want to spend in Robertson's, in the event your wife is not a viola nerd.