Sign in to follow this  
jim mcavoy

quiry .. formsby finish ~ gloss

What, if any, is the experience with this product on a fiddle. I have used it on other projects with some success I know that it responds well to a piece of soft felt (wet or dry) to get a nice smooth finish that looks great

Just wondering

Jim

How about some more information, say a link or two?

Mike,

I think you may like the amazon reviews to get a feel for it ...this product is now made by minwax and is much the same as in the olden days ...it has become spotty as to suppliers ..I use amazon

Note ..when opened it is only good for a while ~about a month perhaps

http://www.amazon.com/Formbys-30066-Gloss-Finish-8-Ounce/product-reviews/B000VZLFO4

Jim

sorry double post

This is a tung oil varnish, not a tung oil finish.  A good light rubbing varnish. 

I use it with black artist's oil color to dress fingerboards.  Rub on, wait a minute, buff off completely.  I use paper towel.

Mike

this product is now supplied by Minwax and is similar to the old days It is a varnish

T get a feel for this some reviews are at

http://www.amazon.com/Formbys-30066-Gloss-Finish-8-Ounce/product-reviews/B000VZLFO4

About 2 or 3 years ago to find it became spotty ...I get mine at amazon ...after opening it the product is good for about a month (even tightly capped)

Jim

I was just reading a finishing book by Bob Flexner where he mentions Formby's Tung Oil Finish doesn't contain any tung oil but is made with soy bean oil.  He does say it's a good product, at least for furniture.

-Jim

Formsbys bills it as a penetrating finish, but the MSDS doesn't say what resin is used.  I doubt that there's any tung oil in it.  I don't think a "penetrating finish" would be my first choice for a violin.

I don't know the product but no doubt it contain lashings of solvent, that's probably what makes it a 'penetrating finish'.

A few wipes of shellac (or whatever) first and I doubt it will penetrate at all.

I used the stuff, or whatever the formula was at the time, about 20 years ago on several fiddles. It went on nicely, took color fairly well and is quite durable, but as noted has short open-bottle time. That aspect suggests that it DOES contain tung oil. I also used some of the Ace version that was a little cheaper and performed about the same.

I use it on fingerboards also. It works very much like a short oil. wipe on a coat and wipe it off like Addie says. I've had a bottle for a few years and it seems fine, I squeeze the air out of the bottle before recapping it.

Best,

Mike Spencer