Sign in to follow this  
Walter O'Bannon

Slowmotion Bowed String

Yes Walter !   I would say that this was a violin that gave a high resonse to low driving.  Number one speculation:  It has relatively low damping because it has a good ground.

On the other hand,  it would be interesting to know how quickly transients damp out.  For example,  playing very fast passages.  (Heifetz up to speed in the first movement of the  Sinding "Suite".)

Thanks for sharing the video.

Interesting to see the primary disturbance of the string traveling up and down the string, in the plane of the bow hair motion.   Travels up one side, then reflects from the nut back down the other side until it hits the bridge.   The impedance difference at the nut is enough for a very clean reflection.   At the bridge, a larger portion of energy is transmitted out of the string, but still the impedance difference in the plane of the action is enough to reflect a large portion of the disturbance back up the strings.

Before seeing this, I hadn't realized what a large portion of the string motion is in plane with the bowing action. Makes sense.   Also makes me realize why the bridge needs to be stiff in the side to side direction along the top arc of the bridge.   This high impedance does most of the work of reflecting enough of the pulse back up the string.

Watching the traveling wave reflect is indeed mesmerizing. I find it interesting that the stick-slip at the hair is occurring at the same frequency as the transverse wave. It's like the dynamic effects of the vibrating string play more of a role than just pressure and bow speed.