Maestronet Forums

Group Build?

Dwight Brown

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So? All told...was it a successful project? Did it raise enough money?

If you had it to do over...what would you change and why?

Just looking for concluding thoughts and input.

I think overall it was great. It raised as much as I was hoping for. A little more actually than I thought it would. So it afforded me a chance to give back. I also think it raised some awareness from the schools. A couple of instructors from 2 of the schools talked to me and were very thankful. One was happy because it gave an example that students who got the scholarship could do in the future. I'm thinking we might see more of this kind of thing going on. And if ultimately this gets more people involved, then I really think it was successful.

As far as things to change....I think it would be good to have more people involved, but it would take longer. It would be nice to have one person do the ff holes for example and then send it on. One person do purfling and send it on, etc.

• 1 month later...

looking for the truth...the block is bueatiful , oversized, fine grain, deep flame . after measuring for size allowance a slice was cut off the fingerboard face about 2mm thick and split to reveal the twist .

Interesting method Mike,

I have an otherwise nice neck block that has a more severe twist in the fibers than your picture shows. Would it be unwise to use it? (The dimensions of the block allows a little correction, but not very much)

Edit: I'm referring to posts #367 and #368

Interesting method Mike,

I have an otherwise nice neck block that has a more severe twist in the fibers than your picture shows. Would it be unwise to use it? (The dimensions of the block allows a little correction, but not very much)

Edit: I'm referring to posts #367 and #368

yes the twisty splity part ...to tell the truth ...I don't know, mileage may vary. . I have to think that it is probably not to critical as most makers don't seem to do it, yet still have success. I do have to think that there is a limit to how much crossing would be acceptable but couldn't say what that might be .. It's just something I find intriguing and like to take the time to do when possible ...even if that is just pushing things in the "right" direction ...

What I would really like to find is a selection of split , not sawn blanks , but that's not easy these days.

Thank you,
This is also something I had never thought about until I saw your pictures.
I think it is a reasonable test to do if there is enough wood in the scroll block to saw a slice.
I guess the main weakness would be in the pegbox if the split direction is non straight.

If others have thoughts about this, it would also be interesting to hear.