Maestronet Forums

Group Build?

Dwight Brown

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 6:48 AM, Dwight Brown said:

We already have an offer of spruce blocking materials and I have really nice rib stock that matches the back and it was ordered as viola wood. It is all european wood A. Psuedoplatanas.  (yes I looked up the spelling of the binomial nomenclature :-)  From the looks of your work, which is beautiful I doubt anybody does it any better.  I am, however, a poor judge as I am only a wannabe.  I am sure you will do fine.  What do you think of the Amati viola?  I can order the the templates and mould and have them delivered to you if you like.

DLB

Dwight, I like anything Amati or Brescian. Viola or violin works for me. That mould looks very nice and very well made.

I'll PM you my email and address and you can send everything to me and I'll get going on building the garland. Thanks!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband has a bunch of Amati scrolls sitting around (stuff he does while waiting for paint to dry).  They're all very nice, and not being used for instruments at the moment.  He would donate one of those.  Maybe there could be more than one instrument coming out of this project? 

I don't see why it has to be the same person. Getting the outlines could be tricky, but just have one person do the top or back and glue the rib structure on and then send it on to the next person. Either that, or send the rib structure to the top person so they can get the outline, and then have them send the rib structure to the back person so no one has to wait too much for the other.

if each of you document and photograph the your progress, i'll write an article documenting the project 

That would be cool, maybe someone would publish it.

I guess we could do the back first and then the top especially if we have a fixed model and templates to go on.

DLB

Concerning, getting the outline right...whatever model is destined to become the instrument, (I vote for the G Amati viola)hint, hint...for me to build the garland correctly the outline will have to be correct.

The mold that Dwayne posted from Cremona Tools looks well made but my question is...Is it made from a tracing of the instrument? If not, How well does it match? Is it symmetrical or not?

Just a few questions to ponder. I bought a Strad fhole template from IVC and it looked nothing like a Strad fhole.

I was thinking pictures and some description  ....but video is real cool ...... there would be some hurdles , aside from the technical aspects of framing a good shot and editing out garbage .....lot's of editing ... of course everything is much easier these days, perhaps anyone working on any step might go that route, and that would be fantastic.   

Here is a PDF advertisement that came with the notice that the book was ready to ship.  The book authors appear to have taken great care in the production of the mould and templates.

i have a highly accurate dwg and PDF drawing of a half outline inc corner blocks  of the Amati Viola which i traced in AutoCAD from the ct scan photo that shipped with the book. If Jan says it is ok, i will donate it to the project.

i can tell you that the instrument's outline is virtually symmetrical. Shocking given that it is almost 400 years old!

Chris

Some one [not me] needs to take the organizational lead on this.  Standards for photos.  Information form.  Blog.

if each person documents thier work with photos in this thread, i can do something similar to what i did with Roger for the bass book. As long as everyone agrees to a creative common license similar to what is published in the bass book, we should be able to circulate the work for free.

if each person documents thier work with photos in this thread, i can do something similar to what i did with Roger for the bass book. As long as everyone agrees to a creative common license similar to what is published in the bass book, we should be able to circulate the work for free.

UL,

Sounds like a volunteer to me.  I would prefer to send audio files...I am more likely to talk while I work rather than  sit down after work and type.

Joe