Sign in to follow this  
kyproset

Bridge width

Hello all,

could anyone please explain to me the determining factor for choosing the width of the feet of the violin bridge, as they come in 40,41,42,43mm and so on.

I have the idea that broad C bout models with a large area in between the F-holes will require a wider bridge than a violin that has a narrower area between the F-holes.

If this is so, what is the sonic effect on a violin the requires let's say a 42mm bridge and it's fitted with a 40mm one.

Thank you. :)

I had the same question and found that there are already a couple of threads on MN discussing bridge width.  It's true that it's mostly determined by the position of the bass bar.  But of course, things become more interesting when YOU can choose the placement of the bass bar.  How does the bridge width affect power?  Tone?  Playability?  If one is gunning for a Cannon sound, should one use a wide bridge or a narrow bridge?  Does the stiffness of the belly come into the decision of choosing the bridge width?  I couldn't seem to find definitive answers to questions such as these.

In Paolo Peterlongo's book, The Violin, p. 73, he states

"The feet of the bridge must be of a particular distance from each other in order to be able to fulfill their function."

I am wondering if this is significant at all in the discussion whatever about the total width of the bridge?

My routine is to simply (I'm a simple guy) figure out where the 1 to 1 1/2mm mark is west of the BB, put the blank on that point and see how that lines up with the fingerboard.  At that point I decide on a wider, or narrower bridge spacing. DGV mentions that we have more options if we are putting in a new BB, but frankly, I don't feel confident in my theories enough to change the standard formula I put in a  BB, which in turn locates the Bridge and in turn designates the width of the bridge blank.  This is assuming that you aren't correcting a neck that is misaligned.  I'd rather just make everything to spec, varying the bridge  width.   jeff