Sign in to follow this  
JRyn

Strange bow lapping

I've recently seen a bow with a very interesting lapping. There was no leather thumb grip (french style?), and the lapping looked like it was made out of a silver lapped "a" string with a silk thread running thoughout. I would have never noticed if it hadn't started coming off at the end. Has anyone else seen this type of lapping? It seemed fairly innovative and i may try to replicate it.

No chance of a photo of it or something similar?

I'm finding it hard to visualize.......

Silk with silver lapping is surely not uncommon

unless I'm missing something in your description.

And could the leather simply have come off?

Ah! I see Jeffrey has just posted while I was writing.

If it's not what Jeffrey suggests

maybe just google images for something like

"violin bow silver silk lapping" 

Something similar to the silver tinsel portion of this, but without a thumb leather?

attachicon.gifsartoryvc.jpg

Yes, but what intrigued me was that it was made out of a violin string. The lapping seemed like it was simply made without the grip, and was a bit longer to compromise for it.

Yes, but what intrigued me was that it was made out of a violin string. The lapping seemed like it was simply made without the grip, and was a bit longer to compromise for it.

Your thumbnail is a bit small and indistinct to tell but...

maybe someone just re-cycling a silver-wound string?

Some of the tinsel used is a three ply thread called Torsade or other various names. It offten has a darker thread as one of the 3 to give a mottled look. They are usually wound on the bow with alternating coloured silks. Heres a photo showing original mirecourt stuff on right and the new stuff  on left which is made in exactly the same way by a 300 year old British company.Also a photo of what it looks like on a bow. And a few images of Vuillaume  /Peccatte /Pajeot etc original lapping, usually gilt thread that has oxidised and worn.

post-3446-0-30917400-1432116768_thumb.jpg

post-3446-0-34127100-1432117233_thumb.jpg

post-3446-0-83821600-1432117638_thumb.jpg

post-3446-0-92497500-1432118143_thumb.jpg

Some of the tinsel used is a three ply thread called Torsade or other various names. It offten has a darker thread as one of the 3 to give a mottled look. They are usually wound on the bow with alternating coloured silks. Heres a photo showing original mirecourt stuff on right and the new stuff  on left which is made in exactly the same way by a 300 year old British company.Also a photo of what it looks like on a bow. And a few images of Vuillaume  /Peccatte /Pajeot etc original lapping, usually gilt thread that has oxidised and worn.

How is it bonded to the bow, and where do you think i can get some?

On 5/20/2015 at 3:09 AM, fiddlecollector said:

First time poster here (long time reader). Sorry to bring an old thread back to the front. Do you know of a source for some of this thread you've described? I have a bow that had this exact stuff on it, but it was too far gone to save. Thank you!