Sign in to follow this  
Kallie

Violin ID

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interesting-Old-Antique-Violin-With-Bow-For-Restoration-/281675703682?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=0kObZ3a3csGXjdNuOJXWOBrpIFk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Any ideas on this one? It has one of the most beautiful backs Ive seen on any violin. Scroll isnt grafted but neck seems to have been extended? The listing was ended before the end of the auction, so the buyer most likely accepted someone's private offer.

P.S. Since this violin isnt on Auction anymore, I posted in Pegbox instead of Auction Scroll.

Actually the back looks quite unpreposessing to me, as does the varnish ... the f-holes are massively long! It looks like it was built on the back - I don't recognize the school, but I'm sure the failing is mine ...

The heel graft is quite common - it's a way of extending or modernising the neck without needing the skills to execute a graft at the scroll.

Actually the back looks quite unpreposessing to me, as does the varnish ... the f-holes are massively long! It looks like it was built on the back - I don't recognize the school, but I'm sure the failing is mine ...

The heel graft is quite common - it's a way of extending or modernising the neck without needing the skills to execute a graft at the scroll.

To each his own I suppose. :P

Yes, If Im not mistaking, the Lady Blunt Stradivarius had a neck reset like this?

They had nicely figured maple in Saxony and west Bohemia, where this fiddle surely was made somehow in the 1rst half of the 19th century. They also had some odd looking ways to cut the ffs, but it's not unfamiliar to my eyes B) .

I won't say, that this is a neck reset, it looks as if a (modern) neck from a different violin was fitted into the block with an additional log, not very neatly done, and the Lady Blunt would be fainting, if she ever saw it... :o

That explains why I didn't recognize it - looked like a relatively tradey Saxon violin mid 19th century, but the neck didn't seem right .... the varnish is quite plain and the neck isn't a bad match colour-wise.

They had nicely figured maple in Saxony and west Bohemia, where this fiddle surely was made somehow in the 1rst half of the 19th century. They also had some odd looking ways to cut the ffs, but it's not unfamiliar to my eyes B) .

I won't say, that this is a neck reset, it looks as if a (modern) neck from a different violin was fitted into the block with an additional log, not very neatly done, and the Lady Blunt would be fainting, if she ever saw it... :o

Thank you for the reply and explanation. :)