Maestronet Forums

If you like Tetris.....

Matthew Noykos

A good friend of mine named Ryan Hayes recently did a restoration on a cello that involved 37 pieces broken out of a rib. He got the thing back together and managed to get pictures along the way. He put them into a fun short video with music from Duke Ellington. Just thought this crowd might enjoy it.

Edit: does anyone know how to embed the video so you can just watch it on the thread rather than having to click the link?

What is the little bits of wood glued against? In other words, what is on the inside of the cello rib to reinforce it?

Great work.

Ryan's not on Maestronet, but I can call him and see if I can convince him to sign up. Maybe the moderators can expedite the sign up period so he can comment on the thread? That way he can discuss the details of the repair himself. I think I have a pretty good idea of how it went down based on my conversations with him, but it would be better to have him talk about it himself.

What is the little bits of wood glued against? In other words, what is on the inside of the cello rib to reinforce it?

Great work.

Kallie, that is a small wooden form with cork taped to it. The pieces were held into place with double sided tape that was attached to the form.

Kallie, that is a small wooden form with cork taped to it. The pieces were held into place with double sided tape that was attached to the form.

Thank you very much Ryan. And welcome to Maestronet. I myself, and Im sure lots of other people here would very much like to see more of your future/past restoration works. :)

AC/DC is probably best for public relations, and it will most likely never remind anyone of eating too many beans.

And it's probably really good for wooing the classical music crowd. :lol:

Yes, I probably did blast stuff like AC/DC once or twice, when TV crews were coming into the shop. I tried to figure out ways to make it fun for me and the rest of the shop guys, and make it fun for the TV people too.

Yes, from time to time, we pulled some pretty outrageous chit.

Not that blasting rock and roll was anything unusual in that shop.

• 1 month later...

I know you told me you glued everything at once, but did you have trouble with the double sided tape being a mess later? I assume the cork had packing tape or something like that covering it to keep things from sticking to it?

Are you saying that the clear tape over the form is double sided, and that's how you held the pieces against it while reconstructing or did the pieces have tape on the back of them as they were put into place?  The end result looks good.  It looks like there were still some missing pieces, what did you do in those areas?  From the photo it looks like you found a pretty good wood match, but there must be something else in the thinner cracks.  The fill certainly doesn't stand out from this angle.  What is the little Japanese flag for?

Ryan (nice to see you on MN, didn't you take a job in San Diego after Oberlin a few  years ago??) Don't completely get the tape thing as I would think you would need to do a little "sliding" into place some of those pieces.  I, also, would like to know more about  the "gap" in your video as the most interesting to me is the "fill" and subsequent touchup.  Nice job.  Glad to see your one of "jerry's kids" now.  Looks like your touchup was done with a decent amount of opaque coloring and then coloring to match.   jeff

I know you told me you glued everything at once, but did you have trouble with the double sided tape being a mess later? I assume the cork had packing tape or something like that covering it to keep things from sticking to it?

The cork was attached to the counter form with packing tape on the outside of the form instead of being glued to the conterform. I had to be very careful when I taped it down to avoid creating any wrinkles in the tape. Then I used double sided tape that adhered to the packing tape.

When the time came to remove the counter form and the tape I cut away the packing tape from the counter form with a knife, and used mineral spirits to loosen the adhesive from the tape while I gently pulled it off of the rib.