Maestronet Forums

How to pronounce "luthier?"

MarkBouquet

I just returned from from one of the most famed guitar repair workshops in the U.S., where in my discussion with the co-owner he pronounced the first syllable of the word "luthier" as one would say Lutheran, for example.

Pretty sure that pronunciation was started by Lutherans, for religious marketing purposes, in an attempt to bring lure craftspeople into their fold. Religiously, I'm more of a Presliutiobiterian.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say I patronize anyone or that I have any skills myself in that area.  I nod blankly and/or don't say anything.  But it's funny. Have you not heard someone say "hot cooter" for "haute couture" and stifled a snort?  It's difficult, but you do, because you're a nice person.  Me too, mostly. 

Someone once told me in great detail about the fox paws she had made.  If it had been a shaggy dog story I would have thought it couldn't get any furrier than that.  In Texas, we take the emangulation of language to a completely different level.  For example, the Guadalupe River becomes Guadaloop, Manchaca Manshack, and Pedernales Perdnales.  So now you know why I am not a loot-ee-er by trade.  That and everyone think I had something to do with gee-tars.

In Texas, we take the emangulation of language to a completely different level. 

I grew up in Texas and I don't remember unusual usage much, though I remember the accent/s.  But I wonder if you ever hear such things as this? A friend told me he was driving past a store with a girlfriend and he happened to mention they sold some item in which she had an interest.  When he told her, she became very excited and said, "If I'd known that was in there, I would have already done been went in!"  Translation:  ...I would have already gone there.  

I'm sorry if that hurt your ears, Will.  Glorious pronounciation and elocution can do that because it's so hard to hear that much beauty and perfection.  I understand.  Kimball the violin expert?  I remember her.  Maybe when she is giving her violin expert pub lecture series at the next VSA someone can request that she help with this thorny issue, which I understand some of you are having difficulty with.  She's probably excellent at all languages.  I doubt there's anything she doesn't do.

And here I thought "luthier" was pronounced "slightly pretentious guitar maker".

:lol: , except that we need to include pretentious mandolin and ukelele makers, and who knows what else. :o

I did a search on the term earlier today, and it looks like the more of a hack one is, the more likely they  are to use the term (with the exception of the native French).

Anyone run across a washtub bass maker who calls himself a looth (as in "tooth") -ee err?

It would be really cool if we could add that to the string of evidence.

And would anyone care to put a link to this thread on a guitar making forum? Then we could really start having some fun!

That's probably true.

There's someone near me who has the most amazingly stupid website...I wish I could post it...his business is called "his name Luthiers"...like Joe Schmo Luthiers, even though it is only him. His hackness should be legendary. He truly doesn't even know how to pop off the top of a violin but he works on violins daily. His van has a giant emblem of his hillbilly face on it. He is treated as a a deity of medium importance at bluegrass festivals.

He makes a living but he is such a massive tool. This is where I live. :(

And would anyone care to put a link to this thread on a guitar making forum? Then we could really start having some fun!

Troll! TROLL! TROOOOOLLLL! :lol::P oh, and the last one is "troll" stretched out, not pronounced "trool" like "drool" or "tool" or something... Oh, sorry, I digress... TROOOLLL! ;)

I'm sorry if that hurt your ears, Will.  Glorious pronounciation and elocution can do that because it's so hard to hear that much beauty and perfection.  I understand.  Kimball the violin expert?  I remember her.  Maybe when she is giving her violin expert pub lecture series at the next VSA someone can request that she help with this thorny issue, which I understand some of you are having difficulty with.  She's probably excellent at all languages.  I doubt there's anything she doesn't do.

:lol:

"Hi!  I'm Kimball, and I will be your violin expert today.  Today's subject is "difference."  Can you say difference?

Well, some people say that there is no difference between a Strad-eye-various and the best modern violin.  So I went to find a REEL Stradeyevarious and a REEL best modern violin and I am going to demonstrate for you.

First the Stradeyevarious:              scrheuskgheeechtehsh

And now the best modern violin:    scrheuskgheeechtehsh

There, I think that proves something, don't you?  Now, next time I will show you how to clean the lint out of your violin with nothing more than a garden hose, nozzle, and some industrial-grade cotton swabs.  'Bye for now."

Troll! TROLL! TROOOOOLLLL! :lol::P oh, and the last one is "troll" stretched out, not pronounced "trool" like "drool" or "tool" or something... Oh, sorry, I digress... TROOOLLL! ;)

It's not like I've never used tools, or drooled, or pursued various other things down the line of widening tangents. ;)

It's not like I've never used tools, or drooled, or pursued various other things down the line of widening tangents. ;)

Lutherie seems safer than dumping Harleys. That's loot-erhrr-ee, and Hawr-lees. Rhymes with narley :) not sure how to pronounce sawzall... :P

That's probably true.

There's someone near me who has the most amazingly stupid website...I wish I could post it...his business is called "his name Luthiers"...like Joe Schmo Luthiers, even though it is only him. His hackness should be legendary. He truly doesn't even know how to pop off the top of a violin but he works on violins daily. His van has a giant emblem of his hillbilly face on it. He is treated as a a deity of medium importance at bluegrass festivals.

He makes a living but he is such a massive tool. This is where I live. :(

If that's your local competition, it sounds like opportunity's knocking.  I recall a thread (in the cobwebs of my memory) where Michael Richwine and Claudio Manfio had an excellent post(s) on knowing your customer.   Wow, talk about being off topic!

Cheers,

Jim

If that's your local competition, it sounds like opportunity's knocking.  I recall a thread (in the cobwebs of my memory) where Michael Richwine and Claudio Manfio had an excellent post(s) on knowing your customer.   Wow, talk about being off topic!

Cheers,

Jim

In a way.  There's a University here, which I guess would be the opportunity.  There is one extremely high-end restoration person here, so when there's a soloist in town or someone regionally has an expensive instrument, it goes to him.  But like most locales, my area is filled with people who blanch at the idea of spending more than a thousand dollars on a violin.  The hack has no shortage of work, which is amazing considering all of the deck screws and gorilla glue he uses.  But he has no shortage of work.  Whatsoever.

I really, really wish I could post his website.  So sad that I can't.  I guess you'll all have to laugh another day.

Off-topic?  Where?