kwebb

Kyle Webb's Bench

Finished setup on my last violin over the weekend and took some time to document it with proper photos. I'm quite proud of this one. 

Edit: for some reason the thumbnail below appears a little dark but the full view shows the appropriate brightness. Not sure if it's my computer or that way for everyone.

violinComposite_small.jpg

Thank you! It's Joe Robson ground/varnish. I can't remember exactly but I think I used a mixture of greek pitch brown with a small amount of purple alizarin mixed in.

4 hours ago, FoxMitchell said:

Looks beautiful!   :wub:

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

What pattern did you choose to go with for this one?

It's based on the Messiah. It's the only model I've ever made actually. I have another one that's ready for varnish too. I think I'll branch out for my next violin. 

Just now, kwebb said:

Thanks!

It's based on the Messiah. It's the only model I've ever made actually. I have another one that's ready for varnish too. I think I'll branch out for my next violin. 

Huh. I guess the coloring and whatnot really make it it's own. I would never have guessed the PG form.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:53 PM, kwebb said:

Finished setup on my last violin over the weekend and took some time to document it with proper photos. I'm quite proud of this one. 

Edit: for some reason the thumbnail below appears a little dark but the full view shows the appropriate brightness. Not sure if it's my computer or that way for everyone.

violinComposite_small.jpg

Very nice!

Joe

I have always wanted a set of Herdim assembly clamps but the price tag was too significant. At nearly $15 per clamp, that's roughly $480 for a full set. I reproduced these clamps using 3D printing and produced a set that is functionally identical. My clamps even have the slot and pin that prevent the clamp head from twisting off alignment with the lower clamp face. I produced an entire set for the cost of hardware (threaded rod, thumb nuts, spring pins,) and plastic ($0.10 per clamp.) Total cost for my custom 3D printed set was $60. 

Outside of this, they weigh less than half the original Herdim version. I think that's a pretty significant positive change. Lightweight clamps are always better in my opinion. I think there are a number of areas that I could expand this idea to such as custom printed repair clamps. 

clamp01.jpg

clamp02.jpg

On 2018/3/23 at 1:12 AM, kwebb said:

Almost ready for varnish. This is violin #4

04back.jpg

04front.jpg

Kyle,

At first sight very nice, BUT

if you allow me some comments:

Considering the experience you have it is really very good work and please take my comments as advice where you can still improve things:

I want to talk a little bit about aesthetics here. The Cremonese masterpieces of the 18th century have always a natural balance we need to study carefully and learn from it. They look so 'nice' because they look balanced to the eye. A few things are made with a divider others are just made by eye. The crucial part is the f holes in combination with the top corners.

Your execution shows a very controlled work which is good. What I see however that you work for example each corner individually by using presumably a sort of template (?) So each corner alone looks nice, but all corners together don't have the same feel. This is one point.

The contours of your corners have a very circled look which is a good approach for imitating classical work. But sometimes just adding a little 'sweep' by eye can make the difference between nice and elegant.

Now looking at the f - holes it is the same thing: Controlled execution aiming at left-right symmetry. One thing which I  noticed immediately is that the outer f nicks are set too high, so that the spread between inside nick and outside nick is bit too much. And needless to say, you have seen this certainly yourself, the inside nick of the treble f- hole is just too big. :wacko:

Another thing on the f-holes is, if you intended to make Strad, the lower points are too heavy. For the feel of my eyes the stems seem a little wide. This is really extremely difficult to do and needs really undisturbed time while doing it. My preferred time is late at night, when I know NOBODY will disturb me.

Las t not least a word on the purfling. Nice and clean, well blended into the purfling channel. Now this is just my personal taste: The blacks of the purfling are a bit too heavy. Only this gives your whole work a bit the taste of a German mass produced instrument.

I don't know which material the black is, but it looks very black and its thickness very even. Making purfling by hand takes a bit of time but is worth the effort. If strips have not a a hundred percent even width, they look more natural and if not completely black adds some flair. If such a purfling is then executed cleanly with a nice sweep (skills you already have) the whole will look much better.

Just by looking at the pictures I feel that you have skilled hands and a good view on creating clean work with a nice flow. If you improve how the single elements relate to each other to enhance the visual appearance in total you will certainly improve your work.

Good luck!

Andreas

Thank you for your extensive critique. I really want to get better but I don't know many violin makers in person. Online is the only place I've been able to get feedback  so I appreciate you taking the time to go into such detail. 

Regarding the corners. I didn't work from a template and instead used measurements and my eye. You mention that they look good individually but not together. What features cause them to not have the same feel?

For the f-hole nicks, I placed them based on the drawing I have. Does this measurement change between different models? And yes, unfortunately made the inside treble one too large. 

I used fiber purfling and I don't recall the measurements off hand. I have received a couple suggestions that I should make my own purfling so maybe I'll try that on my next instrument. It's just so much more convenient to order strips and get to work. 

Thanks again for your comments.