kwebb

Kyle Webb's Bench

My name is Kyle Webb and I am nearing completion of my very first instrument. I study with Peter White at the University of New Mexico as part of the New Mexico Musical Heritage Project. I am very happy with what I have accomplished so far and would appreciate some feedback from all of you. I met some of you last year at the VMAAI convention and I hope to enter this violin in the contest at this years gathering. Below is a link to a photos of my violin. 

http://imgur.com/a/bQXR2

Kyle,

Thanks for showing us.  It looks like there is good teaching and learning going on and that you have a talent for the craft.

We have heard from students or Mr. White for quite a while now but I don't remember if the organization of the program has been discussed.  I would appreciate it if you would tell us about it.

Did you seal the inside before gluing?  Very nice, smooth and clean.

Thank you. I haven't sealed the inside. The back is still separate from the rest of the instrument so it could still be sealed. There was some discussion about whether or not this was necessary. New Mexico being as dry as it is. I assume most people size with a very thin water/glue mixture?

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I have received nothing but encouragement this far. 

The New Mexico Musical Heritage Project is a unique studio and classroom environment where students learn both the art of playing and the craft of making violins. Heavy emphasis is placed on learning to play native new mexican tunes and doing independent research on how violin making came to New Mexico. It is a very unique program all offered through the University of New Mexico. 

I assume most people size with a very thin water/glue mixture?

Not me.  I generally prefer to leave it as-is.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I have received nothing but encouragement this far. 

The New Mexico Musical Heritage Project is a unique studio and classroom environment where students learn both the art of playing and the craft of making violins. Heavy emphasis is placed on learning to play native new mexican tunes and doing independent research on how violin making came to New Mexico. It is a very unique program all offered through the University of New Mexico. 

Thank you, but if this is in response to my question in post # 6, I'm curious about the length of the classes, number of sessions a week, how many semesters, credits, use of the facilities, texts used.  That sort of thing.

I remember a video being shown.  And it seems like an impressive program.  I'm green with envy that our local university doesn't have something similar.   :)  

Thank you, but if this is in response to my question in post # 6, I'm curious about the length of the classes, number of sessions a week, how many semesters, credits, use of the facilities, texts used.  That sort of thing.

Oh, ok. Each class is 3 hours and we meet 2 times a week - on Tuesday and Thursday. You receive 3 credits per semester. Many students take the course for at least 4 semesters. Everything is transitioning a bit while things move from the College of Arts and Sciences to the College of Fine Arts. Things are likely to change a lot because they want to change it into a certificate program. 

I don't have my list of books right now but I can post them later for you. 

Hello Makers: As you can see Kyle is a tremendous talent. In answer to some of your questions about the New Mexico Musical Heritage project, you can look in the contemporary makers' forum under Peter White's bench reply number 8. I hope to show more student work very soon. Thanks for your support for these students. Peter

I built a graduation punch several weeks ago and decided to post it after seeing the one Urban Luthier (great job) made. It was a fun little side project. I used Davide Sora's youtube video as a rough guide. 

http://imgur.com/a/l1v1K

Also, while I'm at it, here is my workbench which I built more than a year ago. Each vice is made from scratch including the wood screws and hand wheels. 

Workbench: http://imgur.com/a/TyPwR

Handwheel: http://imgur.com/a/9AN7t

Thanks Jim and Omit!

I got the case glued and wrapped up a few loose ends. I will be varnishing using Joe Robson materials. Just finished the #2 ground this evening. 

http://imgur.com/a/wiMRR

Can anyone recommend any fittings that they like? 

The fittings I like, I can't afford.  The ones I can afford, I don't like.

Haha, I'm pretty sure that will be my experience as well. 

Beautiful wood and workmanship.  If the varnishing comes out as well, it should be a winner.

Looks like a winner to me.

Thanks DGV and Dwight. 

Just about finished. I'll probably tweak the setup more but I am absolutely thrilled at how it sounds. Soon, I'll have a video to share as well. Still trying to post pictures directly into here instead of using links. Lets see if this works:

CCOqA5p.jpg

HqzrXja.jpg

COKznLh.jpg